Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:34 PM

679 posts, read 1,189,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
No, he does not. It has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum and others.
That's unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 03:26 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeworm View Post
Do you have interests or hobbies or the like? You're within a short reach of world-class museums, schools, and other people that share those similarities. Do you like to eat food? You're within a short reach of world-class dining, international foods you've never thought existed, and cultures you have yet to experience. Do you like music or theater? You're within a short reach of some of the best performances, shows and venues on the planet. Do you like being accepted into society? You're within reach of all types of people and beliefs when you're in big cities of the Northeast. Do you have any spirit or passion for festivities or holidays? You're within reach of some of the best parades and celebrations spanning hundreds of different occasions.

Explore!--kinda like you did when you went out west, I guess.
Those things don't appeal to me that much. I do them on occasion, but I have very limited interest in those things. I already lived in NYC -- it wasn't for me. I am not a sophisticated city type person. I'm more of a simple-minded nature lover type of person. Hence why I enjoyed doing a 2,800 mile road trip out west. So yes, I do have things that I love to do. I also enjoy technology, video games, exercise, politics, reading, making threads on C-D, and sex. I follow what I want to do in my life; not the desires of others. Whether my interests are popular or not is not something I'm concerned with.

Last edited by nep321; 06-30-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 03:27 PM

304 posts, read 397,009 times
Henry 10

Oregon and Washington State west of the cascades have a temperate oceanic climate, Which means warm dry summer with low humidity. Southern Oregon west of the Cascades has actually a climate that could be called 'semi Mediterranean' In Portland in July its warm and dry- highs around 80- lows around 50 over night. Hot temperatures of 90 or above can happen- though the dew points are low.

Winters in the region- again west of the Cascades are mild for the latitude. Its on average about 10-12 degrees warmer in the depth of winter for a daytime high then Hartford- (Hartford in late January average high around 36F overnight low around 19F (Portland OR in late January around 46F average high- overnight low around 32F.

Actually Hartford gets more yearly precipitation then either Portland or Seattle- the difference is our precip here is more evenly distributed with a slight summer maximum. Portland and Seattle see 80% of their yearly precip from October to April.

So in recap western OR and Washington state have a mild 4 season climate. The regions east of the Cascades are more extreme- sort of a 'cold desert'.

Last edited by newerabuzz; 06-30-2014 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newerabuzz View Post
Henry 10

Oregon and Washington State west of the cascades have a temperate oceanic climate, Which means warm dry summer with low humidity. Southern Oregon west of the Cascades has actually a climate that could be called 'semi Mediterranean' In Portland in July its warm and dry- highs around 80- lows around 50 over night. Hot temperatures of 90 or above can happen- though the dew points are low.

Winters in the region- again west of the Cascades are mild for the latitude. Its on average about 10-12 degrees warmer in the depth of winter for a daytime high then Hartford- (Hartford in late January average high around 36F overnight low around 19F (Portland OR in late January around 46F average high- overnight low around 32F.

So in recap western OR and Washington state have a mild 4 season climate. The regions east of the Cascades are more extreme- sort of a 'cold desert'.
Correct, those western climates really don't have any equivalents to CT, because humidity is on the other side of 50%.

With so many precipitation days in OR / WA, it is not the most conducive for outdoors activities, and it is too cool for the summer, for anyone who like summers to be summers (i.e. hot).

From memory, CT has more sunny days than OR/WA, but I am sure someone will correct me in a heartbeat if I am wrong.

And many people do not understand Utah's climate. It varies from Mountain / Colorado-type weather on East / NorthEast, with four feet of snow daily, to hot-oven 120 degrees year-around on the South and South-West (St. George), on the Nevada border.

From OP's five candidate states, Boise has the hot summers, and the snowy winters. And no inversions like Salt Lake City.

Boise is a great city, cosmopolitan relatively-speaking. It also ranks one of the best cities for healthy lifestyles. It has surprisingly a good restaurant and bar scene, and fairly diverse population.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Nep - Bellingham, WA -- check it out. Small city, young population, beautiful scenery. Not far from Seattle or Vancouver either. And the San Juan Islands are spectacular, if you've never been.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:51 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Nep - Bellingham, WA -- check it out. Small city, young population, beautiful scenery. Not far from Seattle or Vancouver either. And the San Juan Islands are spectacular, if you've never been.
It would have been nice to check it out, as well as more other places, but I was on a time constraint, so I had to keep moving along on the road.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:30 PM

304 posts, read 397,009 times
Hartford average high in July is near 84 degrees. Portland around 80. Though Portland when the Mediterranean high moves north in the summer- and stays put for days can see 100F or better. As for Sunshine Hartford has 76 clear days a year- Portland about 70. Southern OR Ashland, Grants Pass, about 125 clear days a year.

Hartford summertime humidity can be sometimes oppressive in July into August. And in the winter since the majority of weather systems come from the west and north- continental air masses-there can be periods of frigid cold from the polar arctic high. The Ocean to the east and south however does modify the climate some, compared to regions further inland.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 PM

679 posts, read 1,189,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Those things don't appeal to me that much. I do them on occasion, but I have very limited interest in those things. I already lived in NYC -- it wasn't for me. I am not a sophisticated city type person. I'm more of a simple-minded nature lover type of person. Hence why I enjoyed doing a 2,800 mile road trip out west. So yes, I do have things that I love to do. I also enjoy technology, video games, exercise, politics, reading, making threads on C-D, and sex. I follow what I want to do in my life; not the desires of others. Whether my interests are popular or not is not something I'm concerned with.
Totally understand you. I admire that you strive for what you like to do, also. That's all anyone can do anyway, right? I don't know much about the West Coast, but it seems like you'd be in your element there. Best of luck!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:04 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
I'm thinking Oregon. Portland, if it's not too urban for you. Or aim for one of the smaller cities. Socially and politically liberal. Mild winters (rain, mostly) and mild-to-warm sunny summers. Beautiful country everywhere - beaches (which are 100% public in Oregon), vineyards, hills, spectacular mountain peaks. Go over the cascades and see the high desert dry country.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Here are all 55 high-resolution pics (be sure to click on the full screen button) that I took in Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Idaho and California. I'm sorry, but there's no denying that CT scenery is lame has hell compared to out West. I took all the pictures with my phone (Moto X).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125702855@N04/
Darn, Nep! Why didncha label the locations??!! Those who might want to repeat your experience are going to have an awfully hard time honing in on those views! What an adventure! Why not do a trip report?

Itinerary, please. Which route did you follow? Town to town is fine - we can pick it up from there.

I love me a loooonnng road trip! Best, Jane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut