Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 02:44 PM

678 posts, read 846,954 times

Advertisements

So, my house is a ranch from the 60/70s roughly 1,050 sqft. I was told by a carpenter (If it's any solid advice) that my attic is very empty and nice to work with regards to wiring. I don't know if it'll help that much, but I'm curious as to how much Central AC installation would cost. Anyone have any ideas? Would I have to get a permit from my town, or is that very town specific? Anything else I should know? The carpenter told me around $3,000, but surfing the web tells me it'll be more than that. Does having a Central AC help with resale value at all down the line?

Also, is it just me or have Connecticut Summers always been this humid? I seriously can't recall mid-late 90s being like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 03:07 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
So, my house is a ranch from the 60/70s roughly 1,050 sqft. I was told by a carpenter (If it's any solid advice) that my attic is very empty and nice to work with regards to wiring. I don't know if it'll help that much, but I'm curious as to how much Central AC installation would cost. Anyone have any ideas? Would I have to get a permit from my town, or is that very town specific? Anything else I should know? The carpenter told me around $3,000, but surfing the web tells me it'll be more than that. Does having a Central AC help with resale value at all down the line?

Also, is it just me or have Connecticut Summers always been this humid? I seriously can't recall mid-late 90s being like this.

I have a similar set up with an empty attic. I was told that the duct work could be run thru the attic instead of thru the floor (up from the basement) which makes the work easier and probably cheaper. I didn't go ahead with a full quote on the install, but the central A/C compressor (which would sit outside) would be at least $2,000. Lowe's & Home Depot are running specials on central A/C units now, so you may want to drop by or call. I do not think they will give quotes on installs over the phone though.

In my case, i went with a powerful a/c unit mounted thru the wall instead for the living area, and I have a window unit in the bedroom. You could also consider adding an attic fan. They are much quieter now than in the old days. Attic fan could drop the temp 6-10F degrees.

If your curious on the price of an a/c wall unit here's a breakdown

A/C unit $400-$1,000 (dependent on the features and BTU's you want).

I inherited my A/C unit from the previous owners (they never had the chance to install it) so I saved money on this part.

Labor - $600

Materials - $200

An in wall unit should be run on it's own circuit breaker. If you need to add an outlet and run a new wire that could up the price.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:09 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
You would have to get a permit at town hall. It would easy to do if you have oil heat. That price seems low, maybe around $5,000-$7,000.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:50 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,294,816 times
If you put the air handler in the attic you will hear the hum every time its on. Mine is in the basement. You might regret having it in the attic unless they do it right and suspend it in mid air.

Yes its easier to run ducts/wires but they still need to get to air condenser outside but they can run everything on the outside of the home

Yes it DEFINITELY helps resale value

Yes must file with town and they have to come out and inspect. Plus tell you where you can't put the condenser outside. (ie: too close to neighbor, ect, ect)

Cost for everything should be Less than 8,000, more than 3,000. Depends which units you pick.

Don't skimp out on the size you'll regret it when it struggles and you pay more electric bills.

Look into the 3 vs 4 blade condensers, I forget the positives/negatives.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Anyone have experience with mini split systems? I understand they're more efficient than conventional central A/C (and a little more expensive?) anyway, just looking for opinions from anyone who has this type of system. Also Who did you use for installation and how long does it take to install? Positives that I could see are obviously the higher efficiency and also not having to install ductwork and lose closet space. Negative IMO is they're noticeable and not aesthetically pleasing.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:16 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Anyone have experience with mini split systems? I understand they're more efficient than conventional central A/C (and a little more expensive?) anyway, just looking for opinions from anyone who has this type of system. Also Who did you use for installation and how long does it take to install? Positives that I could see are obviously the higher efficiency and also not having to install ductwork and lose closet space. Negative IMO is they're noticeable and not aesthetically pleasing.
Another alternative would be a system using narrow, high speed ducts. They're really just round pipes that move the same amount of air as conventional ducts by pushing it faster but are much easier to retrofit in houses that don't have existing duct work. I was in a house that had those narrow "duct" pipes; contrary to my expectations it wasn't markedly noisier than normal duct noise. And a lot less noisy than window units.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
^ is that the setup where holes are drilled in your walls and then finished off with some sort of grommet-like fixture? I've seen it in magazines, but am not sure what it's called. Also, I never heard of any local companies that offer it. If we're talking about the same thing, it is pretty cool -- compressed air through like 1 inch tubing fed through all the studs in your walls. If you know what it's called, please let me know thanks

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-03-2014 at 05:02 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 PM

267 posts, read 447,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post

It's not that hot. Florida was a zillion times worse. It actually cools down at night up here. I recall it getting quite hot and humid a few days here and there when I was up here in the 90's as well. Hasn't hit 90 in Danbury yet .. can't remember the last July 3rd that I've been able to make that claim on..

Old 07-03-2014, 06:30 PM

678 posts, read 846,954 times
THis Summer (So far) is more bearable than last year's, but, my house is just situated in such a way that it receives sunlight from sunrise to sunset and that spikes the temperature a bit in the day. I open up my windows and have the fans blowing at night and it becomes cool, but the days are long in the Summer, so it's aggravating. x_x

Appreciate the feedback you guys. Seems like Central AC is gonna have to wait a couple years, then. :/

Old 07-03-2014, 06:40 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
^ is that the setup where holes are drilled in your walls and then finished off with some sort of grommet-like fixture? I've seen it in magazines, but am not sure what it's called. Also, I never heard of any local companies that offer it. If we're talking about the same thing, it is pretty cool -- compressed air through like 1 inch tubing fed through all the studs in your walls. If you know what it's called, please let me know thanks
I don't know any contractors but you could start at SpacePak; The Small Duct High Velocity Central Air Conditioning System and maybe find something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut