Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:17 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,972 times

Advertisements

Brookfield seems to be getting worse vibes then Torrington.

I know without any doubt based on what I could see about towns on YouTube and of course the advice of you folks, If only had time for 2 towns this trip I will declare Torrington and New Milford.

Operation Connecticut Yankee, that's what I'll deem this mission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 PM

21,740 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Brookfield is a "better" town than Torrington, but it's also much, much more expensive. Since you're not doing a Fairfield County commute, and you don't need the good schools - it's a waste of money. There's nothing else unique about it that can't be found in other towns.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 PM

As far as the Debbie Downer crowd is concerned, Connecticut seems to have an exodus problem, but the 24-35 crowd is still seeking their place in life, so young people do move, from many states.

Which reminds me, what is it with all these progressive young professionals? Every time I sign to talk to my friends of Connecticut there is some young buck professional wanting to move to the east coast, and it's either Fairfield, Boston, or Manhattan.

I'm sorry but I have to stick up for us older folks.

Listen, I'm an old professional, I'm about as progressive as a hillbilly moonshiner.

I've lived overseas, out west, and up and down the east coast, I've been there, done it, and collected a few t-shirts along the way.

So please "young professional," spare me the details of your young misguided lives and get back to me when you got something to brag about.....lol.

And don't get mad, it's supposed to be humorous.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Brookfield seems to be getting worse vibes then Torrington.

I know without any doubt based on what I could see about towns on YouTube and of course the advice of you folks, If only had time for 2 towns this trip I will declare Torrington and New Milford.

Operation Connecticut Yankee, that's what I'll deem this mission.
There's nothing wrong with Brookfield at all. It's a great town -- suburban, family oriented, very good schools, etc. I got the sense you're an empty nester (kids grown, so schools are not an issue) and that you were looking for a rural town. And you also want to spend less than $200k. For these reasons, Brookfield is not a good match. There's no need for you to pay a premium to live there (and by premium, I mean significantly more than your less than $200k budget) -- you don't need the schools, and it's not rural. Why bother then and spend more than you have to? It doesn't make sense

Old 07-06-2014, 08:47 PM

I'm sort of an empty nester sort of not. What I mean is my oldest graduated high school in 2012, is working earning his own money and not as reliant on mom or dad as he once was. Still not ready to move fully out on his own yet, and wants some help to get started in a 2 year tech college for HVAC.

I would say he's about 72% self sufficient at this stage of his life.

My youngest is a special needs student who still rocked close to a 3.0 in school, he's not fully autistic but does have some disabilities. He graduates in 2015, he wants to decide between math teacher or believe it or not, fire and rescue for the national park service, he even mentioned that he would like to learn how to paint cars.

For him finding the right college will be a challenge cause there are certain criteria that exist.

To the best of my knowledge Marshall University in West Virginia had the best special education programs available.

After researching further, I found this Mitchell College in New London Connecticut with similar special needs programs.

So it's kind of complicated but kind of not cause I know what opportunities are out there for both my boys as far as post-secondary education goes.

I'm a very resourceful parent, also as a veteran, I have connections at the CIA.

I'm only kidding..,lol

Old 07-06-2014, 08:50 PM

As I'm sure you know, Brookfield/Torrington, etc. are pretty far from New London. 90 miles. Not really a doable commute. Don't know if that matters. There's a lot of great, inexpensive, and rural towns near New London - but it would be further from NY and your family there. Maybe something in-between, like the Durham/Killingworth/Chester/Deep River area would be to your liking.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:54 PM

Just as a side note I could go up to 200k but why if I can find just as nice a home in a similar town for less money.

I'm not the materialistic type, I do enjoy wearing nice clothes when going out and such but a smaller home in my opinion is easier to maintain and less of a tax burden. I don't need a mansion nor would want to have to clean one.

I just need cozy, compact, neat and tidy. I love cottage homes, a small ranch would do fine as well.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:48 AM

If you want to be in-between New London and NY, you can do pretty well with a small house and your budget.

Example: 19 Woodland Trl, Killingworth, CT 06419 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If you want to be in-between New London and NY, you can do pretty well with a small house and your budget.

Example: 19 Woodland Trl, Killingworth, CT 06419 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
Not much of a looker on the outside but the inside is nice. Great house for the money. Built in 2007. Only problem is that OP is young 40's and that house is in 55+ community. That's probably why the house is cheaper too.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
That house is a double wide trailer and in an over 55 mobile home park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut