Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 09:18 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,972 times

Advertisements

With everyone's help on my last thread I knocked my choices down to 2, Torrington and Brookfield.

Torrington seems like a place that could be considered the underdog but with enough people behind it has the potential to revive. It's almost like a community with a purpose, it needs support and a refreshed spirit. It is also home to, like I had previously mentioned, a USA-BMX sanctioned track, close to my dad in Patterson New York, and as far as northeast home prices go, the town affordable homes and decent quality of life with shopping and stuff that's around it.

Brookfield is a very pretty name and perhaps seems a little more modern with less baggage as compared to Torrington. My concern is it's in Fairfield county. Remember I'm not looking for an NYC vibe, I wanna to live in Connecticut, not New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 10:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Northern Fairfield County does not have the "NYC vibe" like southern FFC does. You would be fine there, although I think Torrington would be more affordable. Are you planning on coming to CT soon to have a look? As mentioned in previous threads, there are a number of other nearby towns that might be a good fit for you, you should check out a few more if you have the time.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Northern Fairfield County does not have the "NYC vibe" like southern FFC does. You would be fine there, although I think Torrington would be more affordable. Are you planning on coming to CT soon to have a look? As mentioned in previous threads, there are a number of other nearby towns that might be a good fit for you, you should check out a few more if you have the time.

NYC Vibe stop at Westport after than Welcome to New England

Old 07-05-2014, 11:16 AM

I'm planning a trip up to check it out for sure. Gonna recon Torrington and Brookfield and would really like to see what the local vibe is all about.

I wanna try restaurants that can only be found in Torrington or Brookfield, I would like to see what my options are with a realtor as far as using my VA Home Loan benefit.

I wanna meet workers,future neighbors, the police force and town government, I almost feel like have to smuggle my .380 into the state or face being
shamed as a responsible gun owner, I understand how the state feels cause of Sandy Hook but I'm not out to harm anyone, shooting is an Olympic sport, I see nothing wrong with target practice in a controlled setting.

I also would seek information on activities from visiting the cities to farmers markets, orchards, state parks, and sports car races at Lyme Rock.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:29 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
As Ive mentioned before if TTown interests you, you might want to take a look at nearby towns of New Hartford, Harwinton, or Litchfield. Both have plenty of reasonable priced housing and usually offer more land/space/privacy.

Track Schedule - Lime Rock Park

Lime Rock Park only lost its biggest races this year with the consolidation of GrandAm and ALMS into the NASCAR owned Tudor series. For this year the two biggest weekends remaining are the Historics end of August and Trans Am in Sept. There are always schools during the week and club races (PCA, NASA, SCCA, etc.) open to the public on weekends though.

The NW corner has some of the best parks, hiking etc. avaliable in the state IMHO. Of course farms, along with their stands and markets are aplenty as well.

Oh, and Brookfield in no way feels like the typical FFC vibe.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:04 PM

678 posts, read 846,954 times
I border Brookfield and can tell you it's a quiet, lovely town for the most part. I think the only congested part in Brookfield is Federal Road which hooks up to Danbury. But, you won't get that Lower FFC feel. Federal Road feels like an inferior version of Post Road in Milford. If you're unfamiliar with either, these roads are highly commercialized with lots of stores and businesses on both sides of the road. Brookfield for the most part has a very charming New England typical town feel. I'd pick Brookfield over Torrington if you can afford it! You're also closer to Patterson. Generally a 35 min ride.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:41 PM

How is post secondary education for my 2 boys in Connecticut. One wants to go into the HVAC field and the one who graduates next year from high school would like to see the options for college.

However my youngest is a special needs child and based on all the research I've done, Marshall University in West Virginia has the best program for kids with Ashburgers , autism and the like. Does Connecticut have a college with a good special needs program?

Old 07-05-2014, 01:49 PM

@ LRPct I will surely look into all those other places as well. I guess to sum it up I would be most interested in the towns of Litchfield County or the towns of Northern Fairfield.

I checked home prices in Brookfield and I did find a few that would be in are budget all though admittedly Torrington does have more.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:59 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
I wanna try restaurants that can only be found in Torrington or Brookfield
You must try Northern Galapagos in Torrington. You wouldn't expect by the way it looks that it would be as good as it is.
Northern Galapagos Restaurant - Home

Another good one in Torrington is Vientiane Thai Cuisine. https://www.facebook.com/vientianethaicuisine

Old 07-05-2014, 04:40 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NYC Vibe stop at Westport after than Welcome to New England
Perhaps you're referring to the "chi-chi" big money NYC vibe? On that, i could agree that it ends in Westport. But Fairfield/Bridgeport/Stratford are definitely taking on a less wealthy "NYC" vibe of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut