Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
My wife and I talked about this too. Crazy.......

Maybe a contributing reason could be that so many people these days are too self absorbed? Look at how many people are on the cell phone and not paying attention to anything anymore. I'm not saying that is the reason, just maybe a factor.

My parents are in their 70's and my Mom said that she doesn't recall these types of incidents happening in the 60's and 70's when they were raising kids. My daughter is 21 now and when she was a baby in the car seat, we never forgot she was there!

I don't know........people are just in a complete fog these days.
You also didn't have all these car seat and what type it needs to be laws. Most back then had the older kids in back seat and a baby right up front, more than likely not as safe as today but you didn't g
forget them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:23 AM

627 posts, read 1,057,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I agree that it could be too much self-absorption. It's a horrific accident, but, he was so self-absorbed that it never crossed his mind, "Oh my god! My kid is in the car!!!" for that long?
All it takes is thinking that you did drop the kid off. Then you don't think about it again.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:35 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,955,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
All it takes is thinking that you did drop the kid off. Then you don't think about it again.
Normally, there is a memory of dropping the kid off, maybe saying "hello" to another parent, or somebody on the staff.

Plus, if the kid is dropped off their regularly at the daycare, there should be somebody on staff that calls to say, "Hey, little Joey was scheduled to be in today, but we have not seen him..."

Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 AM

627 posts, read 1,057,623 times
Right, the tragedies only happen when everything aligns just so. When someone leaves the kid in the car, and then daycare does a good job and calls to ask about it, the person runs out to the car, drives the kid to daycare, and keeps it to themselves.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:41 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Seriously, wtf is wrong with people?
I don't know either but they sure make a good case for forced sterlization

Old 07-11-2014, 12:01 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,727 times
So so sad, heartbreaking really. Maybe we now need smart cars that make it literally impossible to close the car door if a child is detected in a car seat. Or if all the doors swing open when the key is more than 5 feet away from the vehicle and a child is detected in the seat, that way others would know to call quickly for help. If Google can invent a car that drives itself, it sure can get technologies up & working that detect life in a car seat.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:10 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
So so sad, heartbreaking really. Maybe we now need smart cars that make it literally impossible to close the car door if a child is detected in a car seat. Or if all the doors swing open when the key is more than 5 feet away from the vehicle and a child is detected in the seat, that way others would know to call quickly for help. If Google can invent a car that drives itself, it sure can get technologies up & working that detect life in a car seat.
Car manufacturers could easily implement technology to protect passengers. All you need is a device with a simple interior thermometer (all new cars have exterior thermometers) and seat pressure monitors (front passenger seats already have these on all new models). If the temperature inside goes above a dangerous level for X seconds, an audible alarm should go off outside the car to alert passers by that a passenger is detected under such dangerous conditions.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:22 PM

48,110 posts, read 21,990,299 times
I am trying to think of solutions. We have alarms to signal we haven't put on our seatbelts and that we haven't locked the door before leaving.....We can open the hatch from across the parking lot, and many other electronic warnings and reminders. It seems to me that it should be possible to design a child's car seat that has a similar alarm system so that it begins to beep as soon as the ignition is shut off or the drivers door is opened.....and sets off an alarm like the burglar alarm to summon help.

It might add to the cost of the car seat or to the cost of a new car to have that capacity and/or it might at times be a nuisance....but it would save lives!

Old 07-11-2014, 12:30 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,341,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I agree that it could be too much self-absorption. It's a horrific accident, but, he was so self-absorbed that it never crossed his mind, "Oh my god! My kid is in the car!!!" for that long?

and, the problem with leaving a kid in the car to grab a gallon of milk is, what happens if you get a phone call while you're in the store, have to answer a few text messages, run into an old friend, etc? You talk on the phone, respond to the texts and chat with the old friend, and pretty soon, 5 minutes and turned into 15 or 20 minutes.
And here's a thought...when you are running in to grab the gallon of milk...

TAKE THE KID WITH YOU.

If they are asleep, take the car seat. Or carry them in. Have we turned into such lazy people that we feel it's ok to leave our child in the car at any time we are not in it?

sorry, but this is gotten ridiculous. Now we have to depend on the car seat manufacturers to tell us how to remember the baby? Or leave something important in the car seat LIKE OUR PHONE?

It disgusts me. It really , truly does. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

Old 07-11-2014, 12:33 PM

132 posts, read 149,371 times
Quote:
BRISTOL, CT (WFSB) -
A Bristol mother was charged with leaving her 11-year-old child alone in a vehicle that was not running, and had the windows up, police said.

Officers were sent to 60 Middle Street on Tuesday where they said Christina Williams, 30, allegedly left her 11-year-old child inside a vehicle.

Police said the interior temperature of the car was about 85 degrees at the time they got to the scene.

When officers opened the car doors, they said the child was responsive and not in distress, and that the car was not "excessively hot."

Police said the child requested to stay inside of the car while her mother went inside a store, and Williams was located in the store and said the same thing.

Williams was charged with leaving a child unsupervised in a motor vehicle and is scheduled to appear in court on July 21.

Now things are getting out of hand, 11? Kid could easily unlock the door and get out if it was too hot. Idiot cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut