Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:23 PM

14,015 posts, read 13,820,982 times

Advertisements

The Amtrak Springfield-New Haven Line improvements finshing in 1 year and half Six firms want to be part of Meriden redevelopment projects. Meriden is midway between Hartford and New Haven. How can Meriden Downtown improve like Middletown ?

MyRecordJournal.com | Meriden mayor, councilors spar over downtown development

MyRecordJournal.com | Six for six: A closer look at firms interested in Meriden redevelopment projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 PM

23 posts, read 55,568 times
Middletown isn't an apples to apples comparison- having Wesleyan there brings in foot traffic and a population that can help sustain the restaurants, bars, etc which Meriden does not have. (A similar situation occurs with the Choate students in downtown Wallingford.) With the new commuter train and the flood control improvements that are falling into place (the bowl shaped topography of the city combined with a buried brook running straight through it has made downtown investment risky for any developer in the past), it seems like Meriden has a shot at drawing some interest back downtown. The combination of the long-awaited infrastructure investments and the City's emphasis on public/private partnerships seems to be attracting seasoned developers.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:32 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,804,237 times
I'm familiar with Meriden so I can add my 2 cents here.

The Amtrak station they have now is very small and run down. Across the street is a vacant lot which they are fixing to provide flood control and create a park. Now on the other side of this new park is "The Mills" housing project. There's also a liquor store here where a lot of people hang out during the day. The liquor store building is painted yellow so its hard to miss. After this park is created that crowd will be hanging out in the new park instead.

They need to raze that housing project or nothing's going to change. The developers are only interested in creating more low/affordable housing in the area. You need to attract people with disposable income to improve the area. Mayor Santos said basically the same thing.

Downtown Meriden also has a confusing network of one-way streets. They need to fix that too. Meriden is in a prime spot at the I-91 & I-691 interchange. They need to figure out how to market that and take advantage of it. I think making it a commuter hub for rail & bus is one possible answer.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:57 PM

@MrGompers

It seem Meriden look like New Britain

Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
@MrGompers

It seem Meriden look like New Britain
Yes Meriden and New Britain have many similarities and are only about 10 miles apart.
New Britain population is about 75k
Meriden about 60k

Both have excellent highway access. Both are former factory towns. I think New Britain has done a better job of cleaning itself up though so far.

One edge Meriden has is its natural beauty with all the views of trap rock ridges in town. I'm not sure how they can capitalize on that however.

I'm hopeful for both cities. Only time will tell.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:08 AM

Addressing issues with the Mills housing project is part of the City's plan:

HUDNo.13-175

MyRecordJournal.com | Housing authority secures key grant to determine Mills future

HUD Choice Neighborhood Initiative

Old 07-10-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxma21 View Post
That's all well and good, but looks like they need 12-18 months just for planning. I won't believe it until I see the first wrecking ball swing.

This is how you market Meriden especially the downtown area. Once the train station is rebuilt it will be even more valuable.

Find out what the going rents are in Hartford and New Haven then undercut them. People will travel an extra 20 minutes to/from their job to save $200+ more a month in rent.

If the train service becomes reality it should be 15-20 mins to Hartford and 25-35 mins to New Haven. Added benefit is parking would be free from Meriden or greatly reduced. New Haven parking can be $8 a day and up. Hartford is $5 a day and up.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:20 PM

34,791 posts, read 56,634,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That's all well and good, but looks like they need 12-18 months just for planning. I won't believe it until I see the first wrecking ball swing.

This is how you market Meriden especially the downtown area. Once the train station is rebuilt it will be even more valuable.

Find out what the going rents are in Hartford and New Haven then undercut them. People will travel an extra 20 minutes to/from their job to save $200+ more a month in rent.

If the train service becomes reality it should be 15-20 mins to Hartford and 25-35 mins to New Haven. Added benefit is parking would be free from Meriden or greatly reduced. New Haven parking can be $8 a day and up. Hartford is $5 a day and up.
I agree. Downtown Meriden will not improve unless they get rid of that eyesore complex which is a relic of the 50's. It does not help when the Mayor and Council can't agree on what should be done. I know that past consultants tried to tell the city this but was met with resistance. They need to address the problem or the city will just continue to wither away. Jay

Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 PM

The Mayor is a largely ceremonial position in Meriden so his opinion probably doesn't matter too much, at least on paper.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:34 AM

MyRecordJournal.com | Meriden, CT | Mills residents tour Boston housing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut