U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 07:12 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,180,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is kind of hard to measure it this way. Even the worst performing schools in Connecticut send students to good colleges. Jay
True, but will a mid level or lower tier school that offers fewer AP/advanced classes be able to prepare one adequately for a top university? I knew a kid that graduated #2 in his class in a mid level school in CT and got into the University of Virginia, one of the top state schools in the country. However, because the high school only offered a limited amount of AP classes, he was behind a lot of the other students coming into UVa and got frustrated and ended up transferring back to UConn.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 06:46 AM

2,643 posts, read 1,886,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
True, but will a mid level or lower tier school that offers fewer AP/advanced classes be able to prepare one adequately for a top university? I knew a kid that graduated #2 in his class in a mid level school in CT and got into the University of Virginia, one of the top state schools in the country. However, because the high school only offered a limited amount of AP classes, he was behind a lot of the other students coming into UVa and got frustrated and ended up transferring back to UConn.
To answer the first question...yes. It depends on the kid. Plus college is supposed to be tougher. There are also honors classes that can be tougher than AP and a lot of administrators will tell you that AP can be quite overrated. Don't even get me started on the semi-scam it's become and how so many kids are not getting credit when they get to college.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:49 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,180,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
To answer the first question...yes. It depends on the kid. Plus college is supposed to be tougher. There are also honors classes that can be tougher than AP and a lot of administrators will tell you that AP can be quite overrated. Don't even get me started on the semi-scam it's become and how so many kids are not getting credit when they get to college.
I said AP & advanced classes.

If somebody is going into a math intensive major in college and starts off a year to a year and a half behind most of the other freshman in math and maybe a semester in one of the science classes, it's going to be difficult for them to catch up over the course of four years because they'll have to work extra hard to play catch up and risk falling further behind because they're not going to meet prerequisites for other classes until they catch up in math and science.

Sure, it can be done, but it also places an undue burden on the student to have to work harder than his or her peers just to get on the same page as them. It might take them 5 years to do with others are doing in 4.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:13 PM

2,643 posts, read 1,886,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I said AP & advanced classes.

If somebody is going into a math intensive major in college and starts off a year to a year and a half behind most of the other freshman in math and maybe a semester in one of the science classes, it's going to be difficult for them to catch up over the course of four years because they'll have to work extra hard to play catch up and risk falling further behind because they're not going to meet prerequisites for other classes until they catch up in math and science.

Sure, it can be done, but it also places an undue burden on the student to have to work harder than his or her peers just to get on the same page as them. It might take them 5 years to do with others are doing in 4.
You do what you gotta do. Some people just won't be able to afford a home in the surrounding towns. That's not always a bad thing. I'm at a lot of different schools for my job and the level of anxiety over things you and I would say "huh?" to in a suburban school make me breathe a sigh of relief when I walk into an inner city school. Sure there are some rough kids there, but the majority of kids are good, unspoiled and actually have coping skills...can you tell what kind of week I had?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or