Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,243 times

Advertisements

Hoffman Auto Group making a difference.

Hoffman Leads in Hiring Veterans as Service Apprentices - drivenct.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 11:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
That's not good enough though. But good nonetheless.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:28 AM

I got into the program here in Virginia and it's hard to place me cause my skill level is above an entry level "C Tech."

Nothing wrong with being a C Tech, everybody starts somewhere, I'm ASE and Honda/Acura certified "B Tech." Usually the shop foremen and lead drivability techs are considered "A Techs" or Master Mechanics, that's how the automotive industry tiers skill level.

The Audi veterans program is really good if you can get into it, you have to have honorable discharge and a technical military occupational speciality.

The program was created in order to meet the demands of Audi service departments, they have seen a huge increase in service and after sales car care and they forecasted low and can't keep up.

So the program is career path oriented, it brings you in at entry level, puts you with mentors, and sends you to Audi factory schools with the goal of getting you certified first year as a Audi Tier 1 Technician.

Also Snap On Tools created a tool kit specifically designed for Audi service. Anyone in the veterans program gets it at a very discounted price.

You know veterans, just like recent college grads, face obstacles in the work place. Some employers who never had any exposure to military service are unsure about hiring veterans cause of all the false notions about PTSD and such. Veterans make wonderful employees cause we understand mission objective, commitment, and sacrifice, we know his to get the job done.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:31 AM

I would just like to add I think what Audi is doing with veterans is awesome, me personally maybe going to Audi Chantilly, if we can agree on salary. I make 26.50 and hour right now, I would take a little less to get my foot in the door, but I can't take a lot less.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:21 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
These sound like good programs. We've tried to do veteran hiring ourselves in the past, but, have found (at least in our field) vets don't seem to have a current skill set that is useful to us. The programming languages they know are often archaic or, they come to a programming position training in IT networking, or other allied field....

Old 07-11-2014, 05:06 PM

Well some fields I think are more universal then others. I cannot speak professionally about IT cause it's not my expertise.

The technological advances on today's cars have bought us technicians to a point where you have to be at least knowledgable about engine management systems, CAN Buses, those sorts of things.

Modern cars electronics systems talk to each other on Controller Area Networks or CAN. Even the technology found in today's tire and wheel assemblies on vehicles have become complex. Tire Pressure Monitoring systems as an example when one of those sensors go bad, you have to install the new one and then with a diagnostic tablet, you have to register the new sensor ID into the module so the cars computer system recognizes it and keeps the low tire light from coming on.

If your cars TPMS light comes on and stays on you may need to adjust air pressures. If you notice that that light is continuously flashing, it's setting a diagnostic trouble code alerting you of a system malfunction.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:37 PM

127 posts, read 135,297 times
Yes, is a good thing veterans, but on the flip side they would be hiring people regardless. Sure it's good to get veterans jobs, but economically speaking it is a wash, because those jobs would just be going to someone else.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:18 AM

It's job creation that comes with the opportunity to transition out of military service back into the civilian sector and also an opportunity to cross train in a mechanical field with a pretty solid manufacturer.

Volkswagen actually owns Audi, just like General Motors has the flagship Cadillac, Audi is a subsidiary of Volkswagen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut