Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 06:37 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,202,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
You'd change the demographic of Southbury overnight to house 2,000 kids
Yup! And that's what those nimrods in Washington never thought of; or worse yet couldn't care less about...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 06:54 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,757,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
These kids are HERE. They need to be housed, fed, receive medical attention NOW. Connecticut offered nothing...turned their back.

This is not a philosophical debate or hypothetical situation. I am done.
They need to be loaded on a bus or plane, and dropped at the door of their countries embassy/capital building. That's more than generous of us to do.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:58 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,007,463 times
Quote:
You'd change the demographic of Southbury overnight to house 2,000 kids, but, I wouldn't mind if they were scattered across the state as a whole. Alot of people don't understand how illegal immigration worked throughout the history of the United States. I'm sure some of your ancestors came here normally, but several didn't, like how several people lied about their age to fight in WWI and WWII. The reason why they're escaping their home countries is not just for the heck of it, but, deaths due to violence have eclipsed even the wars in the Middle East. I don't agree about how some of these desperate parents are sending their children alone, as young as elementary age only to reunite with them later. That's terrible, but, I certainly do think we should help out our fellow continental nations, somehow. Much more plausible in foreign policy to me than keeping dumb military bases across an ocean or two.

We can not take in everyone. More people that will be added to are already large welfare programs. You can not have a nation without borders.

And maybe there was some illegal immigration in the past, but we do not need that now. We are a nation full of plenty of people that can contribute and many more who dont contribute. Illegal immigration brings low skilled, poor, uneducated people today. And not all really give a damn about being American and proud.

Connecticut may have denied them now, but plenty will make their way here soon enough. This entire thing is a mess and had we been listened to a long time ago, the border would've been secured and we wouldnt be dealing with another talk of amnesty. Theyll push amnesty, wont secure the border, and we will then have to deal with this yet again. Its insanity.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:08 PM

@Futuretown - just wondering where you suggest putting Newtown's share of The 2,000 Orphaned Child Illegals that the feds want to dump in CT ? Camped out all comfy cozy in 13 well appointed and heated refugee tents in front of Edmond Town Hall? And who foots the bill for Newtown's $200,000 per year cost for educating those 13 youngsters? Newtown of course!

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-16-2014 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-16-2014, 08:17 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,352,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
These kids are HERE. They need to be housed, fed, receive medical attention NOW. Connecticut offered nothing...turned their back.

This is not a philosophical debate or hypothetical situation. I am done.
They got here with feet they can be sent back on their feet. It is in fact a philosophical debate and a rather simple one. There's no reason to get emotionally invested in these kids. Consider your options. These kids will never go to school here, they will be basically imprisoned. They need to be sent back. They need to go back and do it the right way. Parading them around the country and exploiting them for political gain is embarrassing. Tugging on the heartstrings of all the bleeding hearts for political gain is appalling, and you're falling right for it.

Quote:
As a former longtime Connecticut resident, I am not surprised that Connecticut residents won't put their money where their liberal mouths are and take in some of these children. This deep blue state loves to vote a liberal platform, but are such hypocrites. I find this all-talk-no-action disgusting and typical liberal, " I'm for it as long as it is Not In My BackYard." Yeah, I'm angry.
Welcome to CT. If you're a conservative, you're a RINO. If you're a liberal, you're a hypocrite.

Maybe if you didn't let them into your backyard down in Texas they wouldn't be your problem. Are you liberal enough to cry about them now that they're here or are you conservative enough to shoot them on site when they cross your property? Oh, neither? Must be a damn rino-crite.

Or, y'know, just reasonable.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:46 PM

678 posts, read 839,795 times
I never agreed in housing them in a small town within a small state. As a much more recent immigrant than majority of you, I agree that I'm not a fan of illegal immigration, but, I feel like this specifically is becoming an issue more of refugee than illegal crossing. Not saying they can't be mixed, but, I don't think it's so black and white as you people make it out to be. Nor am I speaking about illegal immigration that's been plaguing this country for a couple decades. I'm only talking about this specific issue at hand. Also, they'd be very lost in Connecticut for the most part, especially the towns where majority are white (Southbury, for example). They'd fit better where there are more Spanish speakers, preferably from Central America.

I don't pretend to know a solution, cause, I'm not aware what is viable and the exact situation of this ordeal

P.S- Man, there sure are tons of fiscal conservatives/Republicans on the Connecticut board. Thank God for a terrible representation through the Electoral College System silencing their voice, lol! Welcome to New England, welcome to America!

Old 07-16-2014, 08:49 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,402,055 times
On the bright side, if this does ever happen, at least Nep will finally have a town in CT with a young enough population to appeal to him. You know, with them moving IN in droves and all.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,007,463 times
Future:

But how do we know they're really fleeing violence? Hell, how do we know they are from where they say they're from? And I don't believe that all of a sudden these countries got hit with such violence that they just had to leave by the thousands, during a year some have pushed for reform or amnesty. Too coincidental. That and it was odd to see that the DHS was submitting contracts for bids in January to transport and whatnot 65,000 illegal minors. Seems to me they knew this was coming yet act surprised now while they did nothing to prevent it.

And it doesn't help that the flow is still in going and some of our politicians are encouraging more. Maybe, maybe it started out innocently and was truly some fleeing violence. Well now they're being used for political purposes.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I just looked it up -- current total school enrollment in Southbury is 3,200. What were they thinking!?
Another interesting point is not only is it 2000 more students overnight, nut 2000 students that don't speak english. how could that POSSIBLY work out? Imagine being dropped off in the middle of some random Chinese town at 12 years old....how could you possibly learn anything? All questions, no answers, no leadership from our Federal government.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I never agreed in housing them in a small town within a small state. As a much more recent immigrant than majority of you, I agree that I'm not a fan of illegal immigration, but, I feel like this specifically is becoming an issue more of refugee than illegal crossing. Not saying they can't be mixed, but, I don't think it's so black and white as you people make it out to be. Nor am I speaking about illegal immigration that's been plaguing this country for a couple decades. I'm only talking about this specific issue at hand. Also, they'd be very lost in Connecticut for the most part, especially the towns where majority are white (Southbury, for example). They'd fit better where there are more Spanish speakers, preferably from Central America.

I don't pretend to know a solution, cause, I'm not aware what is viable and the exact situation of this ordeal

P.S- Man, there sure are tons of fiscal conservatives/Republicans on the Connecticut board. Thank God for a terrible representation through the Electoral College System silencing their voice, lol! Welcome to New England, welcome to America!
YOU suggested spreading them out throughout the State. Sticking all 2,000 in our already failing inner cities wouldn't be fair now, would it? We have to distribute them equally throughout the state like you suggest, and that would obviously include sending them to our small towns AND towns like Newtown and the cities. I'm just wondering where you would put your bunch? You get 13.... Is there maybe a hotel in Newtown that can be converted to a small scale orphanage?

p.s. The answer/solution is to send them back home to their parents. And BTW, this is not a conservative vs. liberal issue like you portend it to be -- it's an American one. And it's a Connecticut one. And it is a local one. We can't have open borders and take care of the world's unaccompanied & abandoned children. They need to go back to their parents

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-16-2014 at 10:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut