Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:40 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Secret? Maybe it's because mobs of morons are confronting buses full of children and trying to stop them? Maybe it's because the Tea Party has been whipped in to such a froth that they're afraid someone is going to get hurt? Couldn't possibly be why.. right? Must be a CONSPIRACY!
How does that permit them from denying access to a member of Congress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 10:25 AM

361 posts, read 385,656 times
I was discussing this issue last night with some friends who have children in the Windham school system, they just yawned. It appears the situation everyone seems to fear is old reality to them.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:31 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Default Connecticut turns away immigrant kids because of Malloy re-election bid

Do u think of the reason Malloy is turn away the runway kids for his re-relection bid recent He gave 2.5 million dollars for a design for a second train in bport, 19.2 million dollars for downtown Waterbury, pavilion at Sherwood Island State Park in Westport.

Our country faces a humanitarian crisis, and Connecticut Gov. Dan Malloy has found some dubious excuses for why our state cannot help. Tens of thousands of unaccompanied children from Central America are fleeing violence, poverty and rape and showing up at the U.S. border.

Despite the logistical reasons Malloy cites, there’s really only one reason we “can’t” help. Our governor is a Democrat facing a tough re-election fight in November. The bottom line is that too many swing voters fear immigrants, and Malloy doesn’t want the “optics” of hundreds of brown-skinned, Spanish-speaking children being bused into Connecticut as uninformed and misinformed debate over border security and immigration policy meet continued anxiety about the state’s economy.

If this was four months after the election, Connecticut would be helping these kids. That would be in keeping with the values of our state and the leaders we’ve elected.

Instead, Malloy’s administration has turned down a request from the federal General Services Administration, which wanted to pay to use the old Southbury Training School to house up to 2,000 child refugees from Central America for six months to a year. Malloy’s lieutenants told the federal government they felt its request for 90,000 square feet in Southbury was inadequate to house that many kids, and that some of the building space was in disrepair, and that any new use of the facility would face “intense scrutiny” from neighbors.

Malloy distinguished himself as a governor who has confronted emergencies in Connecticut with urgency and efficiency. If Hurricane Sandy had taken a worse turn, and 2,000 waterfront property owners had been displaced from Connecticut’s affluent shoreline, he would have found a way, within hours, and for as long as it took, to house and care for them.

Whether at Southbury or somewhere else in Connecticut’s expansive network of state- and privately-owned facilities, we could accommodate 2,000 of the 90,000 refugee children federal officials have estimated we could be dealing with.

Malloy was not telling the truth when he said through a spokesman that “we don’t currently have the ability to meet this request.” But it sounds a lot better than, “Too many swing voters have no empathy for children who do not look like their children or speak our language, and this could jeopardize my re-election.”

Editorial: Connecticut turns away immigrant kids because of Malloy re-election bid

Old 07-17-2014, 01:41 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
This is not CT's problem. So while I disagree with Malloy on quite a few things, he is right on this one regardless of his motivations. Let the feds deal with it.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:14 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
This is not CT's problem. So while I disagree with Malloy on quite a few things, he is right on this one regardless of his motivations. Let the feds deal with it.

Uh oh. Our neighbor has offered to help. Malloy better not pull a monkey see monkey do..........

Gov. Patrick offers up Cape, Chicopee bases to shelter immigrant kids
:

Herald Bulldog First On The Street | Boston Herald

Old 07-18-2014, 05:56 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,026 times
Yup, monkey see monkey do. Not the end of this, I think. Side note, I would like to watch a rebroadcast of the GOP debate to see exactly what Foley said. If the sum of Foley's statements during the debate is in fact what this article implies, then he just lost my vote. Period. I'll just sit November out (I would rather stick a No. 7 knitting needle in both of my eyes, simultaneously -- and then twist a little -- than vote for Malloy; but I sure as hell won't vote for Foley either if he is in fact encouraging relocating illegals to CT). Anyone know when and what channel the debates are aired? I have Charter cable (based out of Newtown). Connecticut: No suitable space for immigrant kids - NewsTimes

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-18-2014 at 06:09 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 06:04 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Are you denying liberal Connecticut is being hypocritical for not taking them in or the state is not deep blue, mlassoff?

You deflect. The issue isn't Rush or stereotypes. It is a fact Connecticut has denied these children temporary shelter and residence.
I don't believe for one minute it was going to be temporary shelter and residence.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
I was discussing this issue last night with some friends who have children in the Windham school system, they just yawned. It appears the situation everyone seems to fear is old reality to them.
Will they still be yawning in September if Windham gets a few hundred more students in September?

Old 07-18-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post

If this was four months after the election, Connecticut would be helping these kids. That would be in keeping with the values of our state and the leaders we’ve elected.
Yep, because Malloy has done nothing about the large numbers of illegals already in the state, and in fact supports things like driver's licenses for illegals. Plus he loves BO, and would be more than happy to do him a favor to help him with this mess he's created. I'd suspect if we re-elect him we can expect a batch of these illegal immigrants heading our way shortly after election day.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,422,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Yep, because Malloy has done nothing about the large numbers of illegals already in the state, and in fact supports things like driver's licenses for illegals. Plus he loves BO, and would be more than happy to do him a favor to help him with this mess he's created. I'd suspect if we re-elect him we can expect a batch of these illegal immigrants heading our way shortly after election day.
What mess did he create?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut