Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:12 AM

1,129 posts, read 1,350,594 times

Advertisements

Lets get back on topic...

Going to Hartford on Monday, maybe stay until Tuesday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 03:49 PM

146 posts, read 189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
1. New Haven
Obviously. Get some of the best food in New England, second in the Northeast.
That's scary, if that's "best food" than I can't even imagine the "worst".
I had some crab rangoons not so long ago in a Thai place near Yale, and that was horrid. I got take out, and the "crab" apparently was artificial with some terrible sauce on, which gave me gag reflex. Never again.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
I had some crab rangoons not so long ago in a Thai place near Yale, and that was horrid. I got take out, and the "crab" apparently was artificial with some terrible sauce on, which gave me gag reflex. Never again.
New Haven as a city itself was rated the 3rd best in America behind NYC and New Orleans. They also have arguably the 2nd best pizza in America.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:05 PM

146 posts, read 189,379 times
Quote:
New Haven as a city itself was rated the 3rd best in America behind NYC and New Orleans. They also have arguably the 2nd best pizza in America.
By who? The owners of the restaurants?
Man, Americans like ratings so much and most of them are BS.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
By who? The owners of the restaurants?
Man, Americans like ratings so much and most of them are BS.
It was just one restaurant you hated!!!!!!!!

What place did you try?

Last edited by DrPizza; 07-20-2014 at 05:46 PM..

Old 07-20-2014, 08:24 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Not sure how Hartford got in that list. Maybe bottom 10, along with Waterbury, Meriden, Bridgework, Norbitch.

On the other hand, I would put Middletown on that list.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:51 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,633,538 times
I guess I'll join you and make a list of mine:
Not in a certain order though.

Fairfield: I love the feeling of it. Very nice restaurants, and a great library, right next to a train station. Also great shopping places, and not too far from the beach. Also the restaurants there I find to be not chain, its more one branched, so there are many new places to try there.

Trumbull: Unlike a lot of people. I LOVE Trumbull downtown. They have a really good mall which is walkable from the main downtown. Other then the mall, there isn't really much of a downtown in Trumbull, but there is a good supermarket, and a library. Also a quieter downtown as well.

Milford: Milford has EVERYTHING you need pretty much. A Mall right next to a huge plaza with Walmart, Kmart, Stop & Shop, and many other stores. If you just live one mile from U.S. 1 in the east area, you can just walk to downtown, and everything is there. YOU DON'T EVEN NEED A CAR!!! Its just AMAZING! Also a train station is VERY close, and also in Orange in the next town (still feels like Milford because its just one downtown Milford/Orange), you have Applebees, Olive Garden, and many chain sit-down restaurants. If Milford just had better schools, it would be the best place you could live in CT, also pretty reasonably priced as well. Reminds me of Fredericksburg, VA (Where I live) a lot. Its really similar in many ways. The only real difference is not so many actual shopping outlets as Fredericksburg.

West Hartford: Also has a very good downtown as well. Good grocery stores. A little lacking in restaurants compared to some others, but definitely has more restaurants than Trumbull. Also there is a mall on the edge of West Hartford. A plus here as well is its kind of situated on 2-3 roads rather then all in once place, so the places aren't as busy. Although this is a negative point as well for other reasons.

Glastonbury: I also LOVE their downtown as well. Its really spaced out and not crammed together at all, but still in once certain place. Not as crowded as some others because its a little less populated, but still can be busy. Many sit-down restaurants as well. One thing I also LOVE about this downtown is unlike a lot of other downtowns, Glastonbury's is scenic a little as well with may green trees and grass. Looks really nice, and even though it probably isn't quieter, with all the scenery for some reason makes it feel quieter and less busy. One negative thing I find about this downtown is its not in the center at all, its really hard to get there without a car if your not living really close, especially if your living in the extreme eastern parts of Glastonbury.

Groton: OP I am surprised you didn't mention this town. Groton has a great downtown with many amenities. You have walmart, and many department stores. Many Hotels are there as well, and also a lot of sit-down restaurants (specifically seafood) but chain ones to. Something I LOVE about Downtown Groton is that when you are there, you always have this feeling your on the coast near a beach, even if you don't know that already.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:54 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,633,538 times
Quote:
What it's lacking is that big city feel.
I actually think thats a positive. I really don't like big city feelings at all, its always jammed and crowded, and things are crammed together. SOme people probably agree with you as well, but I don't understand why people like big city feels, true everyone's different, but hard for me to get it. I am curious, why do you live big city feelings?

Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I guess I'll join you and make a list of mine:
Not in a certain order though.

Fairfield: I love the feeling of it. Very nice restaurants, and a great library, right next to a train station. Also great shopping places, and not too far from the beach. Also the restaurants there I find to be not chain, its more one branched, so there are many new places to try there.

Trumbull: Unlike a lot of people. I LOVE Trumbull downtown. They have a really good mall which is walkable from the main downtown. Other then the mall, there isn't really much of a downtown in Trumbull, but there is a good supermarket, and a library. Also a quieter downtown as well.

Milford: Milford has EVERYTHING you need pretty much. A Mall right next to a huge plaza with Walmart, Kmart, Stop & Shop, and many other stores. If you just live one mile from U.S. 1 in the east area, you can just walk to downtown, and everything is there. YOU DON'T EVEN NEED A CAR!!! Its just AMAZING! Also a train station is VERY close, and also in Orange in the next town (still feels like Milford because its just one downtown Milford/Orange), you have Applebees, Olive Garden, and many chain sit-down restaurants. If Milford just had better schools, it would be the best place you could live in CT, also pretty reasonably priced as well. Reminds me of Fredericksburg, VA (Where I live) a lot. Its really similar in many ways. The only real difference is not so many actual shopping outlets as Fredericksburg.

West Hartford: Also has a very good downtown as well. Good grocery stores. A little lacking in restaurants compared to some others, but definitely has more restaurants than Trumbull. Also there is a mall on the edge of West Hartford. A plus here as well is its kind of situated on 2-3 roads rather then all in once place, so the places aren't as busy. Although this is a negative point as well for other reasons.

Glastonbury: I also LOVE their downtown as well. Its really spaced out and not crammed together at all, but still in once certain place. Not as crowded as some others because its a little less populated, but still can be busy. Many sit-down restaurants as well. One thing I also LOVE about this downtown is unlike a lot of other downtowns, Glastonbury's is scenic a little as well with may green trees and grass. Looks really nice, and even though it probably isn't quieter, with all the scenery for some reason makes it feel quieter and less busy. One negative thing I find about this downtown is its not in the center at all, its really hard to get there without a car if your not living really close, especially if your living in the extreme eastern parts of Glastonbury.

Groton: OP I am surprised you didn't mention this town. Groton has a great downtown with many amenities. You have walmart, and many department stores. Many Hotels are there as well, and also a lot of sit-down restaurants (specifically seafood) but chain ones to. Something I LOVE about Downtown Groton is that when you are there, you always have this feeling your on the coast near a beach, even if you don't know that already.
I nearly choked with your comment on West Hartford restaurants being lacking. West Hartford has one of the best restaurant scenes in the state WITHOUT A DOUBT. There are a ton of them to choose from and they are among the best in the region. People come from all over the state to eat and shop in West Hartford Center. I am not sure how you can say this.

I am sorry but there is no real downtown in Trumbull. There is the Town Hall plaza area which is just a shopping center adjacent to Town Hall and the library. Not a lot there. Then there is Trumbull Center enter which is around the intersection of White Plains Road and Daniels Farm Road. There are a number of small shops and restaurants. Neither of these areas are within walking distance of the mall. Jay

Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Yeah, because 1 of like 20 Thai restaurants really speaks for an entire city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut