U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 PM

691 posts, read 1,089,111 times

Advertisements

The holiday/summer traffic is a deal breaker for me. I like mobility...95 throughout SE CT is a nightmare during peak travel season, and is a very frustrating ride really any time of the year because it is so narrow and over-capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
OP I reread your post. You said you prefer not living on the I-95 corridor, but usually once you get past New Haven, I-95 smooth sailing, especially after you pass the CT river. You are completely out of the congested area (with the exception of holiday and summer weekend traffic). But it should be an easy commute to work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Thats a little too long a commute I would be willing to tolerate, but if the OP is fine with a 49 mile commute I suppose its a good place. Still a little on the edge of his budget though.

OP I hope you realize its really not going to be easy to find a home in a good town in CT with that budget.
Yeah, I realize I'm going to have to compromise somewhere. Right now Manchester is at the top of my list..have seen some nice places in the $160k range. The compromise comes if and when I have a family...definitely would not want to send my kids to Manchester's public schools. I'd also wind up averaging something like 25-28k miles per year on my car...thankfully I always buy Japanese, though..which actually last.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is the same poster who thinks every road in Fairfield County is bumper to bumper 24 hours a day.
I'm hardly the only one. Cambium posts pictures pretty much every other day showing dead-stopped FFC traffic at highly off-peak hours like 11AM.

Sugar-coat it all you want...but lower-FFC traffic is quite possibly the worst in the country.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:50 PM

4,645 posts, read 5,541,813 times
Quote:
Thats a little too long a commute I would be willing to tolerate, but if the OP is fine with a 49 mile commute I suppose its a good place. Still a little on the edge of his budget though.

OP I hope you realize its really not going to be easy to find a home in a good town in CT with that budget.
nonsense - you can find plenty of decent homes in nice towns for under $200,000. Maybe not in Fairfield County, but in other areas of the state and not McMansions nor new construction. The OP wants a condo that was built 2000 or later, which is more of a limiting factor than $200,000.

IF the OP doesn't want to worry about snow removal & lawn care, he could take the money he or she would spend on condo fees (say $200/month?) and put that towards weekly lawn cutting for 7 months and snow removal in the winter. Say, $30/week for 30 weeks is $900 for lawn care. Maybe $300 more for fertilizer. 12 times get your driveway plowed at $40 a pop for $480. So, you're up to $1,700. And, you come out $700 ahead.

Glastonbury:
6 Plank Ln, Glastonbury, CT 06033 is For Sale - Zillow

Marlborough:
7 Myrna Dr, Marlborough, CT 06447 is For Sale - Zillow

Niantic:
3 Mcelaney Dr, Niantic, CT 06357 is For Sale - Zillow

(I'm assuming he could get the price a bit lower than the list of $205,000 or $210,000)

Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,922,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
I'm hardly the only one. Cambium posts pictures pretty much every other day showing dead-stopped FFC traffic at highly off-peak hours like 11AM.

Sugar-coat it all you want...but lower-FFC traffic is quite possibly the worst in the country.
Nope, not even close. I was just in Los Angeles last week. Can't even begin to describe what I witnessed there. Lower Fc is a breeze compared to that. And I am someone who always recommends shorter commutes here.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 PM

The thing about all of those homes, Jeff...and 90% of what you see on the market in CT...is that they're OLD. I could care less about the 'charm' factor of an older house...bottom line, they are money pits.

It's the 21st century...a home should be energy efficient (oil heat? you've got to be kidding me), have central-air, a deck, a dishwasher, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
nonsense - you can find plenty of decent homes in nice towns for under $200,000. Maybe not in Fairfield County, but in other areas of the state and not McMansions nor new construction. The OP wants a condo that was built 2000 or later, which is more of a limiting factor than $200,000.

IF the OP doesn't want to worry about snow removal & lawn care, he could take the money he or she would spend on condo fees (say $200/month?) and put that towards weekly lawn cutting for 7 months and snow removal in the winter. Say, $30/week for 30 weeks is $900 for lawn care. Maybe $300 more for fertilizer. 12 times get your driveway plowed at $40 a pop for $480. So, you're up to $1,700. And, you come out $700 ahead.

Glastonbury:
6 Plank Ln, Glastonbury, CT 06033 is For Sale - Zillow

Marlborough:
7 Myrna Dr, Marlborough, CT 06447 is For Sale - Zillow

Niantic:
3 Mcelaney Dr, Niantic, CT 06357 is For Sale - Zillow

(I'm assuming he could get the price a bit lower than the list of $205,000 or $210,000)

Old 07-22-2014, 07:10 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,520,747 times
Quote:
It's the 21st century...a home should be energy efficient (oil heat? you've got to be kidding me), have central-air, a deck, a dishwasher, etc.
Oil heat often doesn't have anything to do with the 21st century, it's about what sort of infrastructure is in place in the area.

A huge percentage of Connecticut has zero natural gas infrastructure, and it's not something you can change when building a new house.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:54 PM

4,645 posts, read 5,541,813 times
Quote:
The thing about all of those homes, Jeff...and 90% of what you see on the market in CT...is that they're OLD. I could care less about the 'charm' factor of an older house...bottom line, they are money pits.

Not always - a well built & maintained older home can be of better quality than a newer one, and with sometimes 7 or 8 foot ceilings, instead of the more common 9 foot ones in new homes, you can have less space to heat & cool than with a new home of the same square footage.

And, propane was more expensive than oil for much of the country this past winter. Gas won't be available in many areas of the state without massive infrastructure spending.

here you go - convenient to Norwich and built in 2013:

287 Niantic River Rd, Waterford, CT 06385 - Zillow

Built in 2000:
8 Mark Twain Dr, East Hampton, CT 06424 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 07-23-2014, 03:40 PM

7,373 posts, read 14,162,290 times
I bought in South Windsor, great town, but had the option of buying a bigger place in manchester. Often wish I had bought the one in manchester.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM

I'm liking that house in Waterford.

Speaking of which....why is Waterford so cheap? Is it the proximity to New London? The school system is good.

Perhaps I'm missing something....but besides being responsible for extra maintenance (snow removal/grass cutting), what are the other cons of purchasing a house versus a condo? Home-owners insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Not always - a well built & maintained older home can be of better quality than a newer one, and with sometimes 7 or 8 foot ceilings, instead of the more common 9 foot ones in new homes, you can have less space to heat & cool than with a new home of the same square footage.

And, propane was more expensive than oil for much of the country this past winter. Gas won't be available in many areas of the state without massive infrastructure spending.

here you go - convenient to Norwich and built in 2013:

287 Niantic River Rd, Waterford, CT 06385 - Zillow

Built in 2000:
8 Mark Twain Dr, East Hampton, CT 06424 is For Sale - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut