Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Tax cutting has always been a conservative fantasy, for years. In reality, it doesn't bode well for a prosperous society.

It is perfectly moral to collect tax on an individual's income earnings. Taxes are a "phantom expense" anyway, with respect to the individual. Let's assume that you get paid a salary of $100,000 and your tax expense is $30,000. You are left with $70,000. What difference would it make if your salary was $70,000 and you had a tax expense of $0, and the employer simply forwarded $30,000 to the government? Free market prices of goods and services are in line with after-tax disposable income anyway. So please stop whining about paying taxes.

FDR once said this about how conservatives think: "We will do all of them, we will do more of them, we will do them better and, most important of all, the doing of them will not cost anybody anything!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 AM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
The world was very different back before the income tax was implemented in Connecticut. There were less Federal mandates to fund and the state's income fluctuated a lot based on people's buying habits. This meant that there was a less reliable source of income. Back in the 70's the state cut spending to the point where vital things like bridge maintenance were cut. Then when the Mianus Bridge collapsed, the state woke up and got its act together. While no one likes the income tax, it would be very hard to meet the needs of the state today without it. Jay

Old 07-23-2014, 08:13 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
I moved to CT a few years after state income tax went into effect. It was still a hotly debated issue when we arrived though (around four years after it was implemented). I remember a lot of people were still angry because prior to the income tax, the automobile tax was justified and acceptable. Then the income tax came along, but the car tax never went away... I met lots of pissed off natives the first few years we lived here

Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,060,370 times
Sad thing is once a new tax is added, seldom will you ever see it taken back away. What you will see is a tax in place of another tax, like the turnpike toll booth elimination replaced by paying the highest prices at the gas pump instead

Old 07-23-2014, 09:25 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
There are many factors leading to decline, despite increased tax receipts--

1) We now pay for expanded police departments that retired 30 years ago, one that retired 10 years ago and the one currently working. Expanding an unsustainable pension and insurance obligations are costing us QOL and increased taxes.

2) There are more poor than during the pre-income tax modern period. This stresses state resources.

3) The infrastucture that was passable 25 years ago, is now in crisis state.

4) We're paying municipal workers, relatively, higher salaries and the upward pressure continues. $90K to be an only moderately experienced railroad conductor? Really? Cops making $150K? I don't begrudge anyone a living, but municipal salaries are getting out of hand.

5) Federal mandates, legislation (such as the Education for All Handicapped Children act), and the results of court cases (Sheff v O'Neil, and others) have dramatically driven up the cost of education. Education budgets in most towns have grown MUCH more quickly than inflation.

Something's got to give.

Regarding Flat Taxes
Flat taxes are great for rich people... Not so great for lower and middle class. A poor person may spend all $15K they make. A middle class person is likely to spend all $45K. Hell, many in Westport busy keeping up with the Jonses spend all $200K they make. So you pay tax based on your consumption ... to a point.

The wealthy person who makes $1M per year may only spend $500K-- so their additional income, which doesn't get reinjected in the economy is tax free. Count passive income in your flat tax, and I'm in. Flat taxes aren't necessarily simpler either because they still don't answer the questions: What is and isn't income.

Just my $.02...

Old 07-23-2014, 11:47 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The world was very different back before the income tax was implemented in Connecticut. There were less Federal mandates to fund and the state's income fluctuated a lot based on people's buying habits. This meant that there was a less reliable source of income. Back in the 70's the state cut spending to the point where vital things like bridge maintenance were cut. Then when the Mianus Bridge collapsed, the state woke up and got its act together. While no one likes the income tax, it would be very hard to meet the needs of the state today without it. Jay
I wish i could levy a tax every time Mianus collapses...you ever eat New Haven cart food?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:37 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
I was in college at the time earning very little money, so the passage of the income tax didn't really affect me until much later.

I don't think CT changed much compared to the pre income tax years. Possibly, it kept a bit more money instate since some people would buy products instate vs out of state with a lowered sales tax of 6%.

I remember an interesting story regarding sales tax in NY vs CT (when CT was 8%) I remember this story since one of my teachers in college used it as an example. I think it was economics but could have been an accounting class too.

Along the NY CT border people from the CT side were ordering furniture from NY stores (and paying NY sales tax) and having the furniture delivered to a CT address. Now before the advent of computers and internet these types of transactions were much harder to catch. IIRC this example was also used as one reason CT should reduce the sales tax. Now we have the opposite situation where NY consumers come to CT to buy (for the lower sales tax).

One difference between the income tax years and the pre income tax years is I believe less New Yorkers and NYC residents live in CT. They have to pay NY income tax regardless of where they live now so why not live in NY instead? I don't have any stats to back this up, just a gut feeling I have.

I personally was more affected by the passage of the Fed income reforms of 1986. They made changes to the tax exemption rules and a lot of people got caught off guard by that. A number of my high school classmates and myself owed Fed income taxes that year despite having low earnings. (less than $10,000)

Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM

222 posts, read 413,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
There are many factors leading to decline, despite increased tax receipts--

1) We now pay for expanded police departments that retired 30 years ago, one that retired 10 years ago and the one currently working. Expanding an unsustainable pension and insurance obligations are costing us QOL and increased taxes.

2) There are more poor than during the pre-income tax modern period. This stresses state resources.

3) The infrastucture that was passable 25 years ago, is now in crisis state.

4) We're paying municipal workers, relatively, higher salaries and the upward pressure continues. $90K to be an only moderately experienced railroad conductor? Really? Cops making $150K? I don't begrudge anyone a living, but municipal salaries are getting out of hand.

5) Federal mandates, legislation (such as the Education for All Handicapped Children act), and the results of court cases (Sheff v O'Neil, and others) have dramatically driven up the cost of education. Education budgets in most towns have grown MUCH more quickly than inflation.

Something's got to give.

Regarding Flat Taxes
Flat taxes are great for rich people... Not so great for lower and middle class. A poor person may spend all $15K they make. A middle class person is likely to spend all $45K. Hell, many in Westport busy keeping up with the Jonses spend all $200K they make. So you pay tax based on your consumption ... to a point.

The wealthy person who makes $1M per year may only spend $500K-- so their additional income, which doesn't get reinjected in the economy is tax free. Count passive income in your flat tax, and I'm in. Flat taxes aren't necessarily simpler either because they still don't answer the questions: What is and isn't income.

Just my $.02...
This. All of this.

I had a brother in law who was a state social worker who put in about 20-25 hours a week. He made 100k with 18 years experience and will have a pension for life...even though he was fired for a DUI

I know there is an altruistic support for well-paid public employees, but seriously? Pensions?

Old 07-23-2014, 02:37 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,001 times
I'd like to see state spending and budgets from then compared to now. What have they increased spending on?

I still believe a state is doing something wrong if it has such a high COL, an income tax, high gas tax, etc yet still has issues.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:12 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I'd like to see state spending and budgets from then compared to now. What have they increased spending on?

I still believe a state is doing something wrong if it has such a high COL, an income tax, high gas tax, etc yet still has issues.
My bet that primal would be:

• Increased number of pensioners
• Increased number of state workers
• Significantly higher salaries (in adjusted dollars) for state workers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: