Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:23 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If your manager has any sort of brain in his head, he won't be surprised tomorrow when you tell him. They usually know when you've been shopping around.

Suburban. LOL. It was pretty obvious that the owners were out of $$$ toward the end. Very sparse lot.
Yep. The son inherited the business from his dad. He didn't need the money...... Towards the end, he wound up selling the property. It's condos now. And he walked away with many more millions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
If your manager has any sort of brain in his head, he won't be surprised tomorrow when you tell him. They usually know when you've been shopping around.

Suburban. LOL. It was pretty obvious that the owners were out of $$$ toward the end. Very sparse lot.
He is pretty sharp....... But I'm sharper. I'm the guy that surprises, you won't see it coming. He will be shocked because he is not expecting me to ever quit. And I feel very bad about it.... And guilty.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,119 times
I'm a car guy myself on the tech side and I was offered a possible position with Audi through the Audi Veterans to Technicians Program. The closest opening is Chantilly, that's and hour and 15 minutes from where I currently live.

Add Nova/ DC traffic and there's no way I could do it. I would love to, the program was designed as a career step program for former military veterans, it's with a German brand, a hip company, but there's just no way, it's not even the distance, it's the traffic.

I got out of the dealerships because they are horrid corporate machines with a very cut throat, up sell bottom line mentality.

However the new job sounds awesome, I've been in toxic automotive groups myself, I would bail, get happy with the new place and see where it leads.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:42 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,230,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But I haven't burned any bridges.

If by chance, a bridge was happened to be burned down, just suck it up and move on to another bridge. There are numerous situations in life where we a door closes. You just accept it, find another door and move on. Leaving all bridges in good condition doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be another bridge that you never crossed over before, that you wish to cross over, that will have a closed door at the end of the damn bridge.

I personally have never had any career bridges burned down to prevent ME from crossing (at least not that I know of). But I have burned a bridge down with respect to my former manager wanting to take ME back. I would never want to work for him again. So, I suppose you could say that I have burned down bridges for others, because I do not want wish to cross the bridge TO them.

It goes both ways. I'm in control of MY side of the damn bridge, too. Plus, I have built new bridges as well. Nice bridges, too.
You're taking this way too literally.
You're 30, which I'm guessing means you're 8 years, at most, into your career. You said the whole burning bridges concept is "stupid." I'm just pointing out that, after a number of more years under your belt, you will come to realize it most certainly is not. Take my advice or leave it -- I really don't care.

Anyway, this thread is about someone else -- gmdealerguy -- whom I wish the best of luck to. Here's to no more 5 1/2 hour commutes! Cheers!!!

Last edited by Lalalally; 07-30-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
In regards to not burning bridges I think it's more about maintaining good relationships with former coworkers and bosses. While you may not return to work at a previous employer - if you work in the same industry and in the same geographic area eventually you will run into someone you know. If you walked off the job during an important project the people you burned are going to remember that. Furthermore, they may be the hiring manager at some job 15 years later you're interviewing for.

On rare occasions when giving a 2 week notice you're employer may just tell you to leave that day anyway. This happened to one of my friends and he collected unemployment for 2 weeks until his new job started.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:56 PM

I should follow my own advice about never looking back cause I was looking into moving back up north.

Anyways don't worry about burnt bridges, going back across the same bridge puts you right back at square 1, continue to move forward, not backward.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Is it a GM dealer? May have to request a username change .

You are driving a Hyundai when you work in the GM industry?

Back on topic, it seems like a nice place, except for the pay cut. About the NY dealership AC thing in NY, I recall dearlers are required to have AC.
Don't knock him for driving a Hyundai, General Motors is still trying to figure out how to make an ignition switch.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Don't knock him for driving a Hyundai, General Motors is still trying to figure out how to make an ignition switch.
Lol. Loved that.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
In regards to not burning bridges I think it's more about maintaining good relationships with former coworkers and bosses. While you may not return to work at a previous employer - if you work in the same industry and in the same geographic area eventually you will run into someone you know. If you walked off the job during an important project the people you burned are going to remember that. Furthermore, they may be the hiring manager at some job 15 years later you're interviewing for.

On rare occasions when giving a 2 week notice you're employer may just tell you to leave that day anyway. This happened to one of my friends and he collected unemployment for 2 weeks until his new job started.
Yes! This!
I gave notice at a dealer back in 1999, two weeks and the manager said why don't we just part ways now if you're not happy? He thought he would stick it to me instead, but I was thrilled. I left and the next day my wife, then not my wife, took a two week vacation to cape cod. He did me a favor!

Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
You're taking this way too literally.
You're 30, which I'm guessing means you're 8 years, at most, into your career. You said the whole burning bridges concept is "stupid." I'm just pointing out that, after a number of more years under your belt, you will come to realize it most certainly is not. Take my advice or leave it -- I really don't care.

Anyway, this thread is about someone else -- gmdealerguy -- whom I wish the best of luck to. Here's to no more 5 1/2 hour commutes! Cheers!!!
Thank you very much!
So, as of August 18th, I guess I should change my name to.........wait for it......
BMWdealerguy.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut