Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:38 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times

Advertisements

Okay so currently I live in Largo, FL (Clearwater) and I've had quite enough. I have a half-way decent job right now that pays all of the bills so I want to make my move as smooth as possible.

I grew up in Connecticut and it's my home... I'd like to return.

My challenge at the moment is finding work that will allow me to sustain myself + one other. I'll be able to mooch off my mom for a few months just to get on my feet. What I've done so far is I have changed my phone number to a Seymour, CT number... changed my address to match my mother's address and submitted for jobs local to Naugatuck Valley.

Now I'm willing to push 40ish miles or more outside of the valley to get my butt back in CT lol. Any suggestions on how to acquire work from 1,300 miles away? Any other tips or things I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 08:40 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Okay so currently I live in Largo, FL (Clearwater) and I've had quite enough. I have a half-way decent job right now that pays all of the bills so I want to make my move as smooth as possible.

I grew up in Connecticut and it's my home... I'd like to return.

My challenge at the moment is finding work that will allow me to sustain myself + one other. I'll be able to mooch off my mom for a few months just to get on my feet. What I've done so far is I changed my phone number to a Seymour, CT number... changed my address to match my mother's address and submitted for jobs local to Naugatuck Valley.

Now I'm willing to push 40ish miles or more outside of the valley to get my butt back in CT lol. Any suggestions on how to acquire work from 1,300 miles away? Any other tips or things I should do?

some jobs in Norwalk/Stamford ....Downtown Hartford for insurance, health, office and state related jobs

Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,691 times
"Work". "Jobs". Need some clarity on your skillset there to give guidance...

You will have a very tough time finding work in:

- Clerical/Customer Service/office-type work (generally being replaced by web sites to service customers and process inventory/accounting/etc).
- Manufacturing
- Middle-Management
- Working for a small business, regardless of type of work
- Construction- residential or commercial

You will have an easy time finding a lucrative job in:

- Software and Web Development
- Project Management
- Finance (CFA/CFP/CPA/Actuary)
- Specialized Executive Management (Industry and LOB-specific)
- Certified/Accredited healthcare jobs

Sure, there's plenty of minimum-wage jobs out there (fast food, Walmart, lawn care, etc), but you would not be able to live anywhere in this state decent enough to enjoy it making that wage.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:24 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
What is it you say you do?

Old 08-15-2014, 08:37 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Pretty much sum up the state

Old 08-15-2014, 03:03 PM

209 posts, read 607,908 times
I moved pretty easily from California to CT which was where I grew up. I was able to find a job before I even left California. This is what worked for me and what I did. I am a paralegal with a relatively uncommon specialty so I am sort of in demand generally seem to find interviews/jobs with ease.

I don't know what your specialty is or what your area of expertise is but this is what worked for me in relocating.

I joined linked in, put my resume up on all the job boards including indeed and signed up for daily alerts. Recruiters will contact you and you will start to build your network of people. Use a local CT address on your resume and all job boards. You may have to take a trip or two or three to CT to do some interviews, stay with your mom to minimize cost and perhaps take the train so you don't need to rent a car. I started in December of 2008 when I was in California and a few trips visiting CT for some later, by December of 2009 I was living back in CT with a job. I am not saying its easy and you will have to do legwork but if you build up your network, use the CT address, sign up for job alerts and are prepared to come to CT if you need to for interviews you are on the right path.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:17 PM

Information technology... Help desk that sort of thing.

I've also done plenty of customer service and currently work in medical ordering exams for patients.

I definitely can't live off of retail lol

Old 08-16-2014, 02:25 AM

678 posts, read 846,954 times
IT, you say? Hartford, Stamford, and Norwalk really shine in that sector. If you want a lower COL, I suggest finding something around Hartford area. Stamford area is too expensive.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:28 AM

678 posts, read 846,954 times
Commuting from Naugatuck to Hartford isn't fun currently since Waterbury is a grid lock on I-84 due to construction (last time i was there. Believe it's still the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong). However, if it's only for a few months or so, I think it should be okay. I suggest move east of Hartford afterwards if schools aren't an issue and you're largely independent.

Oh yeah! Honorable mention is Danbury since it's the closest area with good job openings. However, I'm not so sure about IT in Danbury.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:30 PM

Got an interview in Shelton for computer sales. Hoping I'll nail it and get out of Florida. Got to figure out how I'm going to get there, interview, and then return back without vaca lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut