Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:28 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,068,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Our climate here in Connecticut is most like UK.
Ummm no its not..the UK has a much milder climate than CT...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 01:17 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,493,822 times
[quote=AustGirlSydney;36203227]My husband has decided he really likes CT & thinks we should move there. He's currently there working in Stamford. Problem is it's summer right?! He's forgotten what it's like in winter. He's visited many times for work so "knows" what it's like in a hotel/taxi living way. I'm happy to move, it'll be a good experience I assume.

My problem is what on earth do you all do in winter? On a day to day basis, how do you get out & about and exercise if you're 6 foot under snow? (I don't even know what a foot is!)

Whilst I'm not looking to replicate what we have here in Sydney (Australia), I know we are an outdoorsy family with kids. & I need for them to be outdoors running around / doing sports or whatever.

So please tell me what your kids do in winter to stay active & how that works?
How do you (adults) stay active? Join a gym? indoor sports centre?

Our winter days range from approx 10-20C (50-68F I think) days - so I truly have no idea how to live in your climate!

Thanks!

PS - My son would like to find a rowing club. Any recommendations?

Love winter and can't wait. Feb 2013 storm. Took 2 days to hand shovel everything out... Enjoyed every second of it and got quite a workout. LOL

I bought a house last year so not at the same place and refuse to buy a snowblower. I hand shovel every storm. My neighbors think Im crazy but I love the exercise and being out in the snow.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:45 PM

83,274 posts, read 74,477,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Enjoyed every second of it and got quite a workout. LOL

refuse to buy a snowblower.

I hand shovel every storm.

My neighbors think Im crazy but I love the exercise and being out in the snow.
Did I write that? LOL Sounds exactly like me. Just like I refuse to be "one of those" who buy a riding lawnmower. I like to walk for 45 minutes pushing one.

And oh... Brian reminded me what else we do in winter....

Wine, Cheese, Book, and sit next to a Fire.

Also hike in the snow, that's fun. Can't Wait!!!

Old 08-23-2014, 04:07 PM

7 posts, read 9,017 times
Just to clarify, I don't 'dislike' the cold, as suggested up post.

I'm also not looking to replicate what we have here. Not possible & why bother travelling if what you're looking for is right in your own backyard??

Brian26, that is a very exciting picture! The idea of shovelling snow actually sounds quite exciting, but then i love exercise.

Hiking in the snow also!

Thanks, I'm sure I can survive there, so long, as someone said, you make the effort to get out & about!

Old 08-23-2014, 05:01 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,150,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustGirlSydney View Post
Just to clarify, I don't 'dislike' the cold, as suggested up post.

I'm also not looking to replicate what we have here. Not possible & why bother travelling if what you're looking for is right in your own backyard??

Brian26, that is a very exciting picture! The idea of shovelling snow actually sounds quite exciting, but then i love exercise.

Hiking in the snow also!

Thanks, I'm sure I can survive there, so long, as someone said, you make the effort to get out & about!

Hope that you make it to CT to then enjoy your new life chapter and adventures to come!

Oh btw, maybe time for you to freshen up on singing "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas".

Old 08-23-2014, 07:30 PM
dkv

96 posts, read 155,247 times
Winters are not bad in CT. Most days you can run outdoors, especially with the correct clothing.
It does not snow "that much." 1 or 2 days of the year you might not be able to do everything you would otherwise do. You can just sit at home by the fire and relax on those 1-2 days, because no one else is doing much of anything, except shoveling, snowblowing, or going sledding.
Kids love snow.

And ice.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:47 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,047,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
The countries of the UK have varying climates. I don't see how you can compare the weather in CT to the UK. The weather there is milder. What part of the UK are you referring to?

Climate of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
UK is milder than CT in winter, cooler than CT in summer

But this summer, there were days where UK and Connecticut had similar temperature levels

If you want to replicate a UK climate, you would need to take our winter 2012 with summer 2014

What is startling is UK is yet 700 miles farther from the equator line than is Connecticut yet we are less mild than they are and our hardy index is lower than UK.
(UK winter sunset 3:40pm, UK winter sunrise 8:30AM which makes our winter day length nothing to fuss about). Amazing their winter is as mild as it is in UK when their sun exposure is barely anything in winter solstice, plus hardly any snow in winter in UK.
That's why UK has fair skin types

Last edited by EricS39; 08-23-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 08:10 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,061,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Amazing their winter is as mild as it is in UK when their sun exposure is barely anything in winter solstice, plus hardly any snow in winter in UK.
Gulf Stream

Old 08-23-2014, 08:33 PM

3,429 posts, read 3,901,318 times
I try and get outside as much as I can. I actually prefer to be outside in the winter versus the summer. I try and ski as much as possible. I aim for at least 20 days a year. Snow days with the kids involve sledding and building snowmen. Plus shoveling the walkways and patio and raking the roof. When there's no snow on the ground, I love to split and stack wood.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:11 PM

11,242 posts, read 18,711,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
UK is milder than CT in winter, cooler than CT in summer

But this summer, there were days where UK and Connecticut had similar temperature levels

If you want to replicate a UK climate, you would need to take our winter 2012 with summer 2014

What is startling is UK is yet 700 miles farther from the equator line than is Connecticut yet we are less mild than they are and our hardy index is lower than UK.
(UK winter sunset 3:40pm, UK winter sunrise 8:30AM which makes our winter day length nothing to fuss about). Amazing their winter is as mild as it is in UK when their sun exposure is barely anything in winter solstice, plus hardly any snow in winter in UK.
That's why UK has fair skin types
A funny thing about that, i was with a group that was touring Central Park and we went by something I never knew about, a 3000 year old obelisk that is there and being renovated.

How it relates to this is in the late 1800s the Egyptian government gave one to New York and one to London. The London one is much less weathered/eroded because of their warmer winters and cooler summers.

By the way while Sydneys summers seem mild and Mediterranean ish, they obviously do get heat waves as they all time high is 114 and cambiums graphic showed several months that have reached 100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut