Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times

Advertisements

Glad your OK Subie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 03:53 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Glad you are OK. I think these days, everyone needs a front and rear dash cam set up. They aren't really very expensive and in cases of accidents, road rage or encounters with the police they can be invaluable.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:39 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,425,139 times
Thumbs up good luck

I got rear-ended on the Q-Bridge in New Haven a few years back. I knew from driving over it daily where the traffic started to slow and slowed down. I got hit hard from the back by an out-of-state family. I went back to their car and the driver was sitting dazed with a little smoke around him and his wife had broken glasses and what I believe turned out to be either a broken or sprained wrist. She probably braced herself for the collision with her wrist. The air bags had gone off, the hood was crumpled and antifreeze leaking all over. They were a very nice family and I felt sorry for them. I am sure they had to rent a car to get home as theirs was undrivable.

Their insurance company which will remain un-named but uses a gecko in their ads was horrible. I got the estimate for my car repair but they even tried to low-ball me on that. They kept asking me to send them info, then claimed not to have gotten it so I would send it via certified mail so it would have to be signed for. They would leave me phone messages at home to call them, which was a toll call to Long Island. I told them that in addition to paying for the damage to my car I wanted a little more $$ to make up for all the mailing, phoning and the anticipated raise in my insurance rates. They stone-walled me for close to 2 years. When my insurance renewal came up, my rates went up about $150 a year for 3 years because I "had an accident" even though it cost my insurance company nothing. Finally they came up with an offer a couple of thousand dollars more than the damage to my car.

You have to be patient and willing to wait these insurance companies out.

Glad you are okay as that is the most important thing.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
They were a very nice family and I felt sorry for them. I am sure they had to rent a car to get home as theirs was undrivable.

Their insurance company which will remain un-named but uses a gecko in their ads was horrible.

I don't care how nice or apologetic the other driver is if i find out that i'll be dealing with the gecko. As far as i'm concerned, it's very well known/documented that the gecko is garbage insurance. If you're too cheap to buy real insurance, it's not my problem. Instant lawyer up if i'm hit by a gecko insured.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:21 PM

11 posts, read 18,610 times
I was rear ended at high speed 3 yrs ago. I had my brand new car for 5 days before the accident. The woman who hit me didn't have enough insurance. I ended up going through my own and thankfully they declared my car totaled. The insurance ordeal was a pain, but the side effects of the accident was awful. I felt fine the day of the accident, but ended up with neck pain for a few months and long term back pain. I am still paranoid about getting rear ended on the highway and local streets. Just reading your post makes me shudder. I am glad to hear that you are ok. Take it easy for a few days until you know for sure you're fully ok. God bless.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
For those that saw it north bound between 4 & 5.. around 5:30 pm that section is pretty bad for people not paying attention.
I'm so very sorry! I hope that you're feeling fine.

I witnessed an "action accident" on a night years ago on that stretch that a car lost control on the right lane and rolled over quickly across the lanes in flames till it hit the median with me being the lead car behind this no further than 1/10 of a mile when I screeched to a stop. Looked like an action movie, but I was shaken from witnessing it and being so close to potentially getting badly hurt from a rolling in flames projectile. Wanted to get out to help but the "cough-cough" kind drivers were beeping and swerving around me to keep on going so I left as well so not to get "killed". The design of that stretch has too many "blind" spots imo.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:36 PM

518 posts, read 743,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Damn! Sorry to hear this! It's one of my fears when seeing traffic coming up! I got hit while I was in the middle of traffic standing still! We were stopping and going 5-10mph and I even had looked in my mirror as I usually do and the guy was stopping. All of a sudden a jolt. Got out to check and not even a scratch. Told the guy to wake up!!

I wonder if those 2 girls were either speeding, texting or looking at each other BSing.

FOCUS people... LOOK AHEAD 10-20 SECONDS NOT 10-20 FEET! (not you Susieb)

Hope you recoup all losses and hope you're not too sore
I bolded what you said.. It was friken amazing how so many people in this state I swear they look only at the nose of the car and that's it! I've always looked well over 1,000 Ft up.. I've seen people drive (road work) Why in the HELL would you wait until you are right behind the work truck with the huge flashing arrow to move over? How in the hell did you not seen that sign flashing at 10 PM?? The driving in this state just baffles me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
How are you doing today Subie? Once the shock wears off the pain may start in . That was a heck of a smack to the rear & driver side of the car.
I'm doing well thank you, you know speaking of that what pissed me off is the mother of the driver that rearended me came to the accident and she asks the driver ahead of me was he OK, never asked me anything at all I took the whole brunt of the force.. That part really bothered me.. matter of fact none of them said anything to me.. Just the driver ahead of me both had the same feeling she was on her phone or clearly not paying attention.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Glad you are OK. I think these days, everyone needs a front and rear dash cam set up. They aren't really very expensive and in cases of accidents, road rage or encounters with the police they can be invaluable.
The crazy thing was I sometimes run it but I was going to do a front setup.. But if I had it rear facing it would of been perfect..

But yes it's been so bad.. I've got videos of people tailgating less then 1 second behind other drivers, I will really have to invest in it.. People made fun of people in Russia all having dash cams but it pays!

Old 09-04-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
I'm so very sorry! I hope that you're feeling fine.

I witnessed an "action accident" on a night years ago on that stretch that a car lost control on the right lane and rolled over quickly across the lanes in flames till it hit the median with me being the lead car behind this no further than 1/10 of a mile when I screeched to a stop. Looked like an action movie, but I was shaken from witnessing it and being so close to potentially getting badly hurt from a rolling in flames projectile. Wanted to get out to help but the "cough-cough" kind drivers were beeping and swerving around me to keep on going so I left as well so not to get "killed". The design of that stretch has too many "blind" spots imo.

One driver yelled at us on the highway.. all I heard was "*******" while he drove by..

At a lot of other cars blowing horns..

The problem is the traffic goes from 65 mph to under 10 mph and if you don' again LOOK WELL enough ahead then the object ahead of you is going to stop you.

They are most likely going to total my car, I'm happy how my Subaru handled the crash so I will be looking forward to getting another Subaru

Old 09-04-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I got rear-ended on the Q-Bridge in New Haven a few years back. I knew from driving over it daily where the traffic started to slow and slowed down. I got hit hard from the back by an out-of-state family. I went back to their car and the driver was sitting dazed with a little smoke around him and his wife had broken glasses and what I believe turned out to be either a broken or sprained wrist. She probably braced herself for the collision with her wrist. The air bags had gone off, the hood was crumpled and antifreeze leaking all over. They were a very nice family and I felt sorry for them. I am sure they had to rent a car to get home as theirs was undrivable.

Their insurance company which will remain un-named but uses a gecko in their ads was horrible. I got the estimate for my car repair but they even tried to low-ball me on that. They kept asking me to send them info, then claimed not to have gotten it so I would send it via certified mail so it would have to be signed for. They would leave me phone messages at home to call them, which was a toll call to Long Island. I told them that in addition to paying for the damage to my car I wanted a little more $$ to make up for all the mailing, phoning and the anticipated raise in my insurance rates. They stone-walled me for close to 2 years. When my insurance renewal came up, my rates went up about $150 a year for 3 years because I "had an accident" even though it cost my insurance company nothing. Finally they came up with an offer a couple of thousand dollars more than the damage to my car.

You have to be patient and willing to wait these insurance companies out.

Glad you are okay as that is the most important thing.
I'm so glad I got rid of geico, I'm in my 2nd year of Nationwide So far I like it.. I tell you one thing Geico will spam your mailbox with junk mail trying to get you to come back.. Not sure anyone would switch back with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut