Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:51 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,381,097 times

Advertisements

Hi all, as I continue to plan my move back up north I was really excited about Torrington cause what intrigued me about it was the towns resilience to come back from it's old mill roots and I liked the home prices plus the arts scene they are trying to establish in order to revitalize the down town. To me that town shows pride and what those folks are trying to do is worth it. Also it's home to a USA-BMX track, which is the sport my youngest competes in.

However I found this very pretty place called Windsor, love the scenic views and what appears to be a small town feel.

So now I'm a bit confused. I can say that it will be one of them, just not sure which one yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,470,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Hi all, as I continue to plan my move back up north I was really excited about Torrington cause what intrigued me about it was the towns resilience to come back from it's old mill roots and I liked the home prices plus the arts scene they are trying to establish in order to revitalize the down town. To me that town shows pride and what those folks are trying to do is worth it. Also it's home to a USA-BMX track, which is the sport my youngest competes in.

However I found this very pretty place called Windsor, love the scenic views and what appears to be a small town feel.

So now I'm a bit confused. I can say that it will be one of them, just not sure which one yet.
Not to bring down the vibe, but there is a reason why home prices in Windsor and Torrington are so cheap. It's not because they are "hidden" gems it's because they are not desirable as the towns around them. In Connecticut, you get what you pay for.

If I had to choose it would be Windsor, because the access is 100 times better.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:07 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,182,674 times
@ Armyvet: Windsor is on the opposite side of the State. Did you mean Winsted?

Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Nope, Windsor. It looked very country and agriculture, very pretty, at least according to the youtube video anyway.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 AM

Also with wanting to build my small business in CT Windsor is home to tire rack so I could become an installer and should see a decent increase during the winter months when it comes to tire sales.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:26 AM

I have reasons for picking these small towns.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 AM

I want New England. I want farms and apple picking, I want chilly September nights, I want apple cider doughnuts and Main Street festivals. If I'm going to do this I want to live in New England, not New York City or anything close to resembling it.

Being an automotive professional and racing enthusiast I should just move to Lyme Rock, go race Acura Integras on the weekend...lol.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:05 PM

Lakeville-Salisbury is another intriguing place to me.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:16 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,470,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Lakeville-Salisbury is another intriguing place to me.
I think you need to come and visit these locations.

Lakeville-Sailsbury while beautiful (lakeville is my favorite town) they are remote and expensive. Many seasonal residence.

They all have different vibes.

Another thing is that I would advice not to try and start a business without living here for a couple months or even years. You could either buy an existing business or start small as a side business. It is hard (especially with mechanics) to build a reputation. Many people are loyal to a certain person. By no means am I business adviser so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I think you need to come and visit these locations.

Lakeville-Sailsbury while beautiful (lakeville is my favorite town) they are remote and expensive. Many seasonal residence.

They all have different vibes.

Another thing is that I would advice not to try and start a business without living here for a couple months or even years. You could either buy an existing business or start small as a side business. It is hard (especially with mechanics) to build a reputation. Many people are loyal to a certain person. By no means am I business adviser so take what I say with a grain of salt.
I think you have a good point. I've built customer bases in the past and it is tough but being an independent there are some advantages compared to working for some one all though working for some one who is well established is a lot less risky and perhaps more stable.

Still I think that the opportunity exists and is realistic based on my years of industry experience and the things I've learned over the years.

It is by no means easy, but the reward for all the hard work you or I would put into it to make it would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut