U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 08:13 AM

98 posts, read 339,999 times

Advertisements

How much should I expect to shell out for such a home? We're really looking for space, first of all. There are two kids that will soon be three, or even four Space is really important to us in terms of number of rooms as well as backyard and front lawn where we can let them roam free and work off their hyperness safely.

I am really looking for a place I can call home. My husband and I have moved all our lives and really crave a place where we can set down roots, grow gray together, and have a close-knit community that greets us with baked brownies (my personal fantasy ) and we'll return the favor, and so on. Never thought I'd support such an ugly vice but I'd love me some community gossip just to feel that we belong. And then we can protest when big bureaucrats try to tear down a community center or a beloved old tree that symbolizes our little town, like they do in the movies (lol). Simply put, we're looking for roots... and a dog. The life of nomads is not for us.

I'm in my early 20s, still idealistic as you can tell, and will be struggling (with not enough hours in a day, financially and mentally) until I get my Ph.D.. Should I hold off buying the house of my dreams until then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 AM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
It is never too early to put down roots, especially when you have kids. I would suggest moving to the town you want to live in for a long time before your kids enter school because once they start school and making friends, it is hard to pull those roots up and move somewhere else.

Glastonbury would be a great place to start setting those roots. It has a lot to offer a family (excellent schools, activities, etc.) and there is a wide range of houses available. You can start out in a smaller home or condo and then move up to a bigger more upscale home without even changing school districts. I can highly recommend the Naubuc School district in the north end. It is very convenient to shopping and employment centers and has a large range of home choices (modest condos to 3000 colonials). You could get a 2300 square foot, 4 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath colonial with 2 car garage on a 1/3 of an acre for around $375k to $425k. Condos start at $150k and modest single-family homes at around $250k. Hope this helps. Jay

Old 12-27-2007, 09:57 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,139,378 times
Default Pipedream

[quote=paper doll;2342138]Iand have a close-knit community that greets us with baked brownies (my personal fantasy ) and we'll return the favor, and so on. Never thought I'd support such an ugly vice but I'd love me some community gossip just to feel that we belong. And then we can protest when big bureaucrats try to tear down a community center or a beloved old tree that symbolizes our little town, like they do in the movies (lol).

Dear Paper Doll - I have lived in Glastonbury, Farmington and West Hartford, all in a period of 10 years and have not been given any brownies by my neighbors when I moved in to the neighborhood. I have not heard my friends or associates have that done to them either. I have not seen the inside of their garages, let alone their homes. They have not gossiped, and politics was not something they gather together about. It just wasn't the environment. Not that people are mean...I just don't think they socialize that way up there. They are friendly, but I would say...more private? They ask things like who did my roof, or my windows, or who do I use to clean my house. We never shared phone numbers. We stopped delivery of our mail when we went on vacation because we just felt that asking them to receive our mail was too much of an imposition.

It is different when we moved to Charlotte. We got more than just brownies...we got whole meals (with paper plates, plastic utensils, and dessert) after my outpatient surgery. The neighbors were out on their driveways and small talk was usual, when people washed cars, walked their dogs, picked up the paper, dropped off their kids at the bus stop. You would be offered ice tea, martinis or to see the football game at their house, on their beer! Someone started an Amish Friendship bread recipe on the block and it went around the block like 3 times. My plants were watered and my mail received during a week of vacation. We volunteered to walk their dog when they couldn't or dropped them off at the dealership to pick up a car after maintenance. I could go on...we were not used to and never expected it, but it was easy to get used to it and like it and return it.

Maybe other people have a different experience, but that was ours in the 10 years we were there. If you are looking for good schools, economic development, proximity to Boston and NYC, New England charm (CT is a very beautiful state, BTW!) that is the place for you. For warm fuzzies...well....

Old 12-27-2007, 10:27 AM

98 posts, read 339,999 times
Interesting input... from both of you, JayCT and Bibit612. Thanks. I'm even considering (not the near future, mind you) buying a run-down old house, destroy it and rebuild it, but I haven't seen any in Glastonbury. I'll be looking for modest single family homes, for now. It seems like my only option. Condos are my no-no. Been there, done that.

For clarification purposes, I lived in a private type of suburb for a few months when I was 11 years old, though not as upscale as Glastonbury (not even in CT to begin with), and the neighbors who moved in right after we did greeted us with delicious brownies. Wasn't that nice? My mom never made us brownies... she'd buy them, but not make them. That is the origin of my fantasy. Before that, I never ever bothered to question my living conditions. I had always assumed that the town in which people live in was an accident. I envy you your community, bibit but I simply can't leave the Hartford county area for a number of reasons. If it were up to me, I would be perfectly happy living in a loft.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:37 AM

5,975 posts, read 17,139,378 times
If you ever decide to buy that tear-down house in Glastonbury and need a reliable, personable and competitively priced contractor, I have one for you who actually lives in Glastonbury. They have done for us our master bathroom, second bath, dining, kitchen and living room. If we did not sell and move we would have had them do our family room and basement. Their attention to detail is phenomenal and they do the work themselves. Needless to say, they are very booked and busy.

Let me know if you ever need their services.

I wish you well and hope you find your dream home.

Last edited by BagongBuhay; 12-27-2007 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-27-2007, 12:22 PM

24,570 posts, read 40,120,453 times
I agree that people here do keep to themselves here but when my wife broke her ankle last year our neighbors sent dinners and offered to help anyway they could. Of course this was from the neighbors we knew. Others did not do anything. I think if you make an effort to get to know people they will respond.

Also note that living in a "close knit" enighborhood has its drawbacks too. A coworker lives on a very closeknit street. He complains that everyone know each others business and there are many times when neighbors come over when they are busy or want some quite time. He also notes that there are kids in the neighborhood he really would prefer to not have his kids associate with. As for the gossip, well it runs rampant on his street. The nieghbors who had a loud fight one night are now cut out of the group and talked about constantly behind their backs. Oh well, you take the good with the bad. Jay

Old 12-28-2007, 06:14 AM

311 posts, read 1,643,465 times
I think its more of a function of neighborhood and not a town-specific thing per se. i think some neighbors/neighborhoods just tend to be friendlier and have found that smaller streets (fewer houses) tend to be friendlier places to live. We currently live on a street with 14 homes and pretty much know everyone. Most of our neighbors have been in our home (and we have been in theirs) and they adore our kids (we live among mostly retired seniors). We've done the cookie thing and vice versa and we love our neighborhood. To JayCT's point though there have been a few times when an unexpected visit at a bad time annoyed us, but most are respectful and know that we both work full time and have two small kids so visits/phone calls are often very brief. And yes, there is plently of gossip :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut