Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 AM

30 posts, read 34,263 times

Advertisements

I am relatively new to the state and don't know much about him. I know he was mayor of Stamford and it's been said he did a good job here.

I'm interested in hearing both sides of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 09:40 AM

642 posts, read 859,012 times
I am originally from Stamford although I live in Trumbull now. I think when the Governor was the Stamford Mayor he did a great job. The taxes ARE NOT very high in Stamford. In fact all the other Cities in CT have very high mill rates while Stamford does not. That is proof that he did a good job in Stamford. I also believe that Stamford is the economic engine of the state and he was the steward of it for 15 years I believe.

I was very surprised that he raised all the taxes when he became Governor. I actually went to the same HS as the Governor (although he is a bit older). I feel that he raised the taxes with the best of intentions to help the less fortunate of CT but I also feel that it is having a bad economic affect on the state.

That is my good and bad of Govenor Malloy. I am centrist so unlike many people in CT who either love or hate him I have a more realistic tempered view of him. I really thought Malloy was going to be like Governor Cuomo whom I love. If Malloy did the things Cuomo did I think he would easily win re-election.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:42 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Good: Response to the various storms (Irene, Snowtober, Sandy), response to Sandy Hook

Bad: retroactive tax increase, overly restrictive gun control law, green lighting the Hartford to NB busway, letting the public employee unions call his bluff, common core, corporate welfare programs (First Five)

IMO, he's reactive, not proactive. Which is great when dealing with a crisis, but not so great for governing. It always seems like he's careening from one issue to the next, and I've never gotten the feeling that he has an overarching plan.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,492 times
I think his biggest problem is that he was elected while running on a moderate-left platform of no tax increased and progressing the state. When he took office he immediately shifted far left to appease the democratic base.

He has a really good record of reacting to state emergencies which helped a lot of people who needed it. But some of his reactions, like I said go far to left.

He is an okay governor. Not a great one, but not a bad one. He needs to reign in his spending and stop giving money away to giant corporations to get a few hundred jobs at a time. He also needs to move back toward the center with some of his policies.

This state has a large right wing population that feels like they aren't being heard anymore, and for the most part they are right. In the next election they will be the ones who are out voting in droves while Malloy's base goes about their day and at 7:45 PM say "oh crap, i didn't vote today". I haven't seen him or any of the democrats really do anything to get their voters to the poles. This election will probably be a lot closer than the last time Malloy and Foley faced off at the polls.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:45 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
The taxes ARE NOT very high in Stamford. In fact all the other Cities in CT have very high mill rates while Stamford does not. That is proof that he did a good job in Stamford.
Not necessarily. He was mayor in Stamford at the right time:

1. NYC was improving drastically and becoming more desirable both as a place to live and do business. When NYC does well, its satellite cities do well.
2. 9/11 happened, and many financial companies moved to Stamford.
3. When you have a growing residential, commercial, and retail base that is thriving off proximity to NYC and its growing economy, you can afford to have a lower mill rate with more taxable property.

So, yes, while he didn't screw up and some may say he was a good mayor - I don't think that the low mill rate in Stamford has much direct correlation.

My biggest problems with him are that he went very aggressive in raising taxes to solve the deficit. In doing so, he raised the most sensitive tax during an economic recession: corporate. We now have one of the highest in existence and it's not helping our economy at all.

I also think CT DOT is extremely poorly managed. There's a bridge in New Haven that directly affects commerce that has been out for years. Yes, there were problems but it seems like it's just ignored. A 1 year project will probably take 5. It's just unacceptable and it's hurting businesses.

I also think that CT DOT arbitrarily does road work projects that are not needed. Whether it's replanting and planting trees on the Merritt and making "aesthetic enhancements", unnecessary resurfacing on roads/highways that are in acceptable condition while others crumble, the deferred maintenance of our rail system that has some to a head while spending a half billion on a busway that has no significant benefit, etc.

Time for new leadership.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:05 AM

214 posts, read 197,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

I also think CT DOT is extremely poorly managed. There's a bridge in New Haven that directly affects commerce that has been out for years. Yes, there were problems but it seems like it's just ignored. A 1 year project will probably take 5. It's just unacceptable and it's hurting businesses.

I also think that CT DOT arbitrarily does road work projects that are not needed. Whether it's replanting and planting trees on the Merritt and making "aesthetic enhancements", unnecessary resurfacing on roads/highways that are in acceptable condition while others crumble, the deferred maintenance of our rail system that has some to a head while spending a half billion on a busway that has no significant benefit, etc.
All valid points. What IS taking the Q Bridge project so long??? Also, I've always noticed the "Mowing" signs around construction zone, I've always just chalked it up to the whole "giving people jobs" argument.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not necessarily. He was mayor in Stamford at the right time:

1. NYC was improving drastically and becoming more desirable both as a place to live and do business. When NYC does well, its satellite cities do well.
2. 9/11 happened, and many financial companies moved to Stamford.
3. When you have a growing residential, commercial, and retail base that is thriving off proximity to NYC and its growing economy, you can afford to have a lower mill rate with more taxable property.

Time for new leadership.
I have a different view from 1-3 above because my family has been is Stamford for 5 generations going back to the late 1800's. NYC has ALWAYS been a thriving city and Stamford has always been right where it is since NYC's economic boom since forever really. NYC has always been booming and that is why millions of people have been attracted to it for hundreds of years.

I have relatives that are involved in politics in Stamford of all parties for many generations. Many of my relatives have owned or still own business in Stamford (including my dad). Some of the family businesses go back to the very early 1900's. Unlike most people who have been in Stamford for 1 or 2 generations I have a good sense of what went on before Malloy through his administration and even to the present day.

As a centrist and knowing all the extensive past history of Stamford IMO Malloy did a very good job in running Stamford.

BTW, Bridgeport is also in very close proximity to NYC and should enjoy the same benefits as Stamford yet it gets worse and worse economically. Bridgeport used to be far better economically than Stamford in the early 1900's so proximity to NYC does not automatically make you a great city. You also need great leadership.

I am sorry to say I do agree with you that as a Governor we need change even though I do hold Malloy as the Mayor of Stamford in high regard.

Last edited by CTartist&musician; 09-27-2014 at 11:15 AM..

Old 09-27-2014, 02:35 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
I have a different view from 1-3 above because my family has been is Stamford for 5 generations going back to the late 1800's. NYC has ALWAYS been a thriving city and Stamford has always been right where it is since NYC's economic boom since forever really. NYC has always been booming and that is why millions of people have been attracted to it for hundreds of years.

I have relatives that are involved in politics in Stamford of all parties for many generations. Many of my relatives have owned or still own business in Stamford (including my dad). Some of the family businesses go back to the very early 1900's. Unlike most people who have been in Stamford for 1 or 2 generations I have a good sense of what went on before Malloy through his administration and even to the present day.
He may have done "good" things in Stamford (like pushing the riff raff north to Norwalk and Bridgeport), but that doesn't negate the fact he was in the right place at the right time. Stamford was not always what it is today.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
He may have done "good" things in Stamford (like pushing the riff raff north to Norwalk and Bridgeport), but that doesn't negate the fact he was in the right place at the right time. Stamford was not always what it is today.
If Malloy was in for one term you could say he was in the right place at the right time but he was in 14 years from 1995 to 2009. He over saw tremendous growth and revitalization in Stamford.

Here is what a Stamford Republican said about Malloy.......

"Stamford is really recognized as a dynamic center," said Joseph McGee, a former Republican commissioner at the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development who is now vice president of public policy and programs for the Business Council of Fairfield County. The result, McGee said, is Stamford can compete for a younger work force in a state that has lost its younger members to cities such as New York, Boston and Philadelphia. "This is really all about economic development," he said. "Malloy has to get credit for that."

Malloy running on 14-year record as Stamford mayor - Connecticut Post

Old 09-27-2014, 04:20 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
If Malloy was in for one term you could say he was in the right place at the right time but he was in 14 years from 1995 to 2009. He over saw tremendous growth and revitalization in Stamford.
I don't think it's a coincidence that Jersey City and other satellite cities of NY rose in popularity at approximately the same time Stamford did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut