Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:07 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is maddening, but I'm not surprised. Basically, the state is paying for these people to live in nicer apartments than their [section 8] budget allows. This is absolutely fraud and should be brought up to anyone who will listen - perhaps try to contact News 8, 3, or 30. I don't think you'll get anywhere, but don't give up. The good guys are losing, here.

Not surprised at all. I hate most government programs. They're all scammed in a big way and the dwindling number of us who actually pay our own way in this sinking society get the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 05:08 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Not surprised at all. I hate most government programs. They're all scammed in a big way and the dwindling number of us who actually pay our own way in this sinking society get the bill.
If you look at it as a big piece of pie, the top 1% are getting most of the money, not some broke people on section 8. Section 8 is a necessary program when rents are out of control. In nyc, you have cops/fireman ect on subsidized housing. We should have implemented rent control long ago. Medicare and social security also have fraud. Any type of large scale program will have some fraud. Just try to make is as little as possible.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:14 PM

21,617 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
If you look at it as a big piece of pie, the top 1% are getting most of the money, not some broke people on section 8.
The difference? The top 1% you claim to be "getting most of the money" are working sometimes 60 hour weeks for that money. The "broke people on section 8" are broke for a reason, in many cases.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:39 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,094 times
Quote:
If you look at it as a big piece of pie, the top 1% are getting most of the money, not some broke people on section 8.
If you look at the big picture, it's poor suckers like me, and you too -- if you're a tax payer -- that are having our tax dollars wasted because of these types of section 8 people who can obviously afford more than they're willing to report to the government. And the poor suckers who actually need help and who are likely being underfunded because these PIGS are taking more than their share.

If they were honest poor people, then their vouchers would be for a whole lot less and they wouldn't have a secret stash of "extra cash" to pass under the table. Disgusting IMO, when there are obviously others who could use our tax-payer funded subsidies more than these degenerate dirtbags.

And you also seem to have a warped sense of what constitutes the "1%". My husband and I owned a few section 8 houses over in NY. And we live in northern fairfield county because this is what we can afford and where we feel financially comfortable -- we are so far removed from from the real meaning of "top 1%" that it's laughable. BTW, owning those houses and dealing with section 8 tenants was the absolute worst experience, and we celebrated each and every time one of them sold. Never again.

Last edited by Lalalally; 09-27-2014 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
If you look at the big picture, it's poor suckers like me, and you too -- if you're a tax payer -- that are having our tax dollars wasted because of these types of section 8 people who can obviously afford more than they're willing to report to the government. And the poor suckers who actually need help and who are likely being underfunded because these PIGS are taking more than their share.

If they were honest poor people, then their vouchers would be for a whole lot less and they wouldn't have a secret stash of "extra cash" to pass under the table. Disgusting IMO, when there are obviously others who could use our tax-payer funded subsidies more than these degenerate dirtbags.

And you also seem to have a warped sense of what constitutes the "1%". My husband and I owned a few section 8 houses over in NY. And we live in northern fairfield county because this is what we can afford and where we feel financially comfortable -- we are so far removed from from the real meaning of "top 1%" that it's laughable. BTW, owning those houses and dealing with section 8 tenants was the absolute worst experience, and we celebrated each and every time one of them sold. Never again.
They're willing to report to the government? You don't "report" money unless you're self employed/investment income. It's taken out of your check. If they are being paid "under the table" then that is illegal. If they're dumb enough to get a 2nd job and not tell hud, then they're going to get caught and will have to pay all back rent. And they will get caught since they're second job will have w-2 and the government will know about it.

I questioned this whole secret stash of cash from the op anyway. It still makes no sense. Can someone please verify what op said....only 900 for 3 bedroom is maximum allowed rent in new britain for a section 8 voucher.

So if you owned a few section 8 houses then you were also collecting money from the government just like them! LOL! I wonder what the vacany rate would be if there were no vouchers!

Old 09-27-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The difference? The top 1% you claim to be "getting most of the money" are working sometimes 60 hour weeks for that money. The "broke people on section 8" are broke for a reason, in many cases.
Are they working the full 60 hours or are they on computers posting on forums? An office job where they're not working every second like a normal human being vs a retail clerk who works every second like a robot.

Do people who work minimum wage never work 2 jobs? If you work 60 hours a week does that mean you enter the top 1%? LOL

There's income inequality. Period. You've have to blind not to see that.

But honestly we've had this debate numerous time before and it goes nowhere. You have your right wing opinion and I have my left opinion. It's an exercise in futility. This whole thread is basically just to rant about section 8 people. I question the validity of the op saying most section 8 people are offering extra cash. Makes ZERO sense.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
They're willing to report to the government? You don't "report" money unless you're self employed/investment income. It's taken out of your check. If they are being paid "under the table" then that is illegal. If they're dumb enough to get a 2nd job and not tell hud, then they're going to get caught and will have to pay all back rent. And they will get caught since they're second job will have w-2 and the government will know about it.

I questioned this whole secret stash of cash from the op anyway. It still makes no sense. Can someone please verify what op said....only 900 for 3 bedroom is maximum allowed rent in new britain for a section 8 voucher.

So if you owned a few section 8 houses then you were also collecting money from the government just like them! LOL! I wonder what the vacany rate would be if there were no vouchers!
That's the point -- it's illegal. And immoral. And disgusting. And btw by not reporting, I mean not reporting to the government the household income -- I.e. How many boyfriends, girlfriends, baby mommas and baby daddies are all living under a single voucher who, if incomes were combined, could obviously afford a whole lot more. Players and PIGS are what they are. Plain and simple.

I have no idea re: going rents in new Britain so I cannot comment nor have any opinion on the numbers he/she provided.

Last edited by Lalalally; 09-27-2014 at 07:54 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
BTW, owning those houses and dealing with section 8 tenants was the absolute worst experience, and we celebrated each and every time one of them sold. Never again.
You'd obviously had some bad experiences. Not all section 8 tenants are like that. Some are though. Even non section 8 tenants can be hell for a landlord to evict and get them out.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
That's the point -- it's illegal. And immoral. And disgusting. And btw by not reporting, I mean not reporting to the government the household income -- I.e. How many boyfriends, girlfriends, baby mommas and baby daddies are all living under a single voucher who, if incomes were combined, could obviously afford a whole lot more. Players and PIGS are what they are. Plain and simple.

I have no idea re: going rents in new Britain so I cannot comment or have any opinion on the numbers he/she provided.
Yeah well that's fraud and wrong. I agree. Yes having people living there that are not supposed to is a problem. It's supposed to be 30% of income of every working adult in household. It's very difficult to PROVE that. That's the problem. I have a feeling what op is talking about is people are giving extra cash to landlord so he looks away when they bring 4 adults in on a one person income voucher. Because giving extra cash when you're playing by the rules makes zero sense.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah well that's fraud and wrong. I agree. Yes having people living there that are not supposed to is a problem. It's supposed to be 30% of income of every working adult in household. It's very difficult to PROVE that. That's the problem. I have a feeling what op is talking about is people are giving extra cash to landlord looks away when they bring 4 adults in on a one person income voucher. Because giving extra cash when you're playing by the rules makes zero sense.
We finally AGREE on something!!!!!! I'm marking this date down on my calendar LOL! Have a good night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut