Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 AM

209 posts, read 247,385 times

Advertisements

i just moved to middletown the complex i live in has many apartment buildings in middletown meriden new britain and other parts of the state, some of the properties they own are income based 30% of what you make, they have a few that are subsidy and those have a 5 year waiting list, and then they have market apartments. i lease a one bedroom with my husband our rent is market at 790 a month we are not on any subsides or section 8.

what i am saying is its not hard to find inexpensive apartments that are not section 8 or subsidy you just have to look and renting from a 2-3 family house can sometimes be cheeper specifically if you are in a college town and they are trying to get decent rents from college students
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:10 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyechica View Post

what i am saying is its not hard to find inexpensive apartments that are not section 8 or subsidy you just have to look and renting from a 2-3 family house can sometimes be cheeper specifically if you are in a college town and they are trying to get decent rents from college students
790 for a single person in a 1 bedroom is not affordable when you are working a service job. Not even close. I would want to see an income of around 40/k year. So a college graduate professional only.

If you're making around minimum wage full time, all you can afford is about 400/buck all utilities(a heating bill alone with cl and p can run 250/month for electric heat/hw EASY), except cable included. Just add up the expenses and you are car reliant in almost all of ct. That's more money. Do the math.

There are no inexpensive apartments in the state. Look at cleveland/buffalo as areas that are more affordable. It's all relative. In nyc 1500/month for a 5th floor walkup in manhattan south of 96th is considered "dirt cheap".

Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Just had person call for apt. She says New Britain housing auth just upped allowance to $980/mo for a 3 bedroom no utils included, which is closer to market rate. Finally!

Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Well, maybe not. Latest person who called, offering to pay the difference, says that the New Britain Housing Authority voucher will pay a maximum of $950 for a 3 BR cold water flat. Of course, since the Housing Authority won't publish their rates, there is no way of knowing until the LL has already held the apt open for a month. Virtually every single person who has called has offered to pay more, and has said that they are already paying their current LL more under the table. They all seem astonished that we won't take it! If I could legally put, "Section 8 not accepted" in the ads, I would. Even if they were paying market rate, it still means a month of the apt being empty to take Section 8, since they won't send an inspector out for a couple of weeks, they will only inspect if the apt is vacant, and then it takes another week or so for the approval to come through. So inevitably, renting to Section 8 means the apt will be vacant for a month.

Seems that the only time it is worth a LL's while to take Section 8 is if they have an apt that is in a very undesirable (read: dangerous) part of town, where they're unlikely to have success on the open market. This was the very reason that the program was begun - to allow poor people the opportunity to spread out throughout the community, and get away from the woes of communities where there is a large concentration of poverty. But at this point, the only way the program achieves that goal is if the voucher recipient and the LL engage in Section 8 fraud.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:59 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
To the anonymous individual who left me this reputation comment, since apparently you're too afraid to have an actual discussion:

"Maybe people making 75-150k/ yr working like a dog at 60 hrs a week. I don't think top 1% income earners are putting in those kind of "actual", hours."

If you don't think that CEO, CFO, or CIO isn't working outside of their 9-5 job, you're clueless. See for yourself: Top CEO Schedules - Business Insider

But thanks for the reputation comment!

Old 10-02-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
To the anonymous individual who left me this reputation comment, since apparently you're too afraid to have an actual discussion:

"Maybe people making 75-150k/ yr working like a dog at 60 hrs a week. I don't think top 1% income earners are putting in those kind of "actual", hours."

If you don't think that CEO, CFO, or CIO isn't working outside of their 9-5 job, you're clueless. See for yourself: Top CEO Schedules - Business Insider

But thanks for the reputation comment!
Who cares...what's their hourly pay? LOL They could work one year and retire for life with their salaries. They work because the ENJOY IT. It's a hobby at that point. Not a job where you go homeless if you don't have a check You probably think pro athletes and movie stars aren't overpaid. It's simply a matter of inequality and the pay gap between them and other being too high. And what does any of this have to do with section 8 housing in new britain? Sticking up for the top 1% is really important. They're a disadvantaged minority. lol I just seems some right wingers want to rant and complain about section 8, a program that makes it so you can actually afford an apartment here in ct if you work a retail job. Do you realize that makes up a huge percentage of the jobs and if everyone became "highly skilled" then all those people would simply be stuck working at service jobs. That's reality. If everyone gets an MD, then not everyone could practice. You understand that? If everyone goes to college, then many will be stuck working at service jobs. This is already starting to happen with record numbers of people attending college. College degree used to mean automatic middle class job/lifestyle. Not anymore due to how many people are going. We need to make all jobs have a living wage. The top 1% are taking too much of the wealth for themselves. The section 8 program is crumbs for the poor to afford 4 walls and a roof. Not exactly a luxury.

Last edited by mikelizard860; 10-02-2014 at 06:54 AM..

Old 10-02-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Who cares...what's their hourly pay? LOL You probably think pro athletes and movie stars aren't overpaid. It's simply a matter of inequality and the pay gap between them and other being too high. And what does any of this have to do with section 8 housing in new britain? Sticking up for the top 1% is really important. They're a disadvantaged minority. lol
I never claimed anything about athletes or movie stars. I never claimed one percenters to be disadvantaged. You're attempting to create a debate where there isn't one to be had. Try to keep on track.

I replied to the individual who left me an anonymous comment stating the top 1% do not put in more than 40 hours a week, when in reality, that's an ignorant statement at best. Period. Move along now.

Quote:
I just seems some right wingers want to rant and complain about section 8, a program that makes it so you can actually afford an apartment here in ct if you work a retail job.
The most comical part of your post is referring to me as a right winger. LOL.

I have no problem with section 8 and welfare when it's used for people who really need it - but I do have a problem with the massive amount of people who seem to take advantage of the system, putting those who rely on it at an even further disadvantage. Unfortunately, those on the extreme left cannot (or refuse to) recognize that.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I have no problem with section 8 and welfare when it's used for people who really need it - but I do have a problem with the massive amount of people who seem to take advantage of the system, putting those who rely on it at an even further disadvantage. Unfortunately, those on the extreme left cannot (or refuse to) recognize that.
Well so do I. They shouldn't be having people living there and not declaring their income, therefore ripping off the government/tax payers and a system that is already heavily strained. I don't think anyone is for fraud.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Well so do I. They shouldn't be having people living there and not declaring their income, therefore ripping off the government/tax payers and a system that is already heavily strained. I don't think anyone is for fraud.
And that's where you mistake my stance. I'm not a "right-winger". I'm an independent who has no tolerance for people taking advantage of the system, screwing over both taxpayers and people who truly rely on the benefits.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Please return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut