Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:09 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times

Advertisements

I am SO sick of this. Every time I have an apt in New Britain turn over, and I post it for rent, I get tons of calls from people on Section 8. The apt is clearly listed for 10-15% more than a Section 8 voucher will allow, and when I point this out, the potential tenants ALWAYS says, "That's okay. I have money to pay the difference." When I tell them that it's a violation of their contract with the New Britain Housing Authority, they seem very surprised. I've even called the New Britain Housing Authority to clarify this, and they've confirmed that it's prohibited fraud and a violation of their contract with both the voucher recipient, and the landlord. But they won't do anything to enforce it! When I go to look at rental properties to buy, I get shown leases held by Section 8 tenants, with it written in at the bottom, as part of the lease, that the tenant pays an additional 10-20% above and beyond the Section 8 contract! The realtor told me that she's never even SEEN a situation where the Section 8 tenants in buildings for sale are NOT paying extra under the table!

I've considered stating in my ads, "LL will not commit fraud by accepting additional money under the table from Section 8 tenants", but I don't want to go near mentioning anything about Section 8 in a real estate ad, for fear of being accused of discrimination. So I have to go on telling the hordes of callers, "No, I will not commit fraud for you." And they always sound so astonished that I won't do it! Some of them try to persuade me, saying, "But I've always been paying more under the table, for years, everywhere I have rented with the voucher!"

I really shouldn't complain, because even though most of my properties are more than Section 8 is willing to pay, this infusion of rental subsidies, with people paying above what their voucher will allow, drives up the prices on ALL rental units in the area. I just feel sorry for the people who really need the subsidy, and are on the decade long waiting list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 01:59 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
I know you brought this up before and I'm not a landlord so can't really relate. I would like to add though, do you know if this happens in other cities such as Hartford?

If want to draw attention to this I don't think New Housing is the place to go. Try contacting your state rep and senator for your district. Perhaps you should contact your federal reps as well since section 8 is Fed program. I wish you luck, but I don't think you will get anywhere.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:14 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
This is maddening, but I'm not surprised. Basically, the state is paying for these people to live in nicer apartments than their [section 8] budget allows. This is absolutely fraud and should be brought up to anyone who will listen - perhaps try to contact News 8, 3, or 30. I don't think you'll get anywhere, but don't give up. The good guys are losing, here.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:42 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I am SO sick of this. Every time I have an apt in New Britain turn over, and I post it for rent, I get tons of calls from people on Section 8. The apt is clearly listed for 10-15% more than a Section 8 voucher will allow, and when I point this out, the potential tenants ALWAYS says, "That's okay. I have money to pay the difference." When I tell them that it's a violation of their contract with the New Britain Housing Authority, they seem very surprised. I've even called the New Britain Housing Authority to clarify this, and they've confirmed that it's prohibited fraud and a violation of their contract with both the voucher recipient, and the landlord. But they won't do anything to enforce it! When I go to look at rental properties to buy, I get shown leases held by Section 8 tenants, with it written in at the bottom, as part of the lease, that the tenant pays an additional 10-20% above and beyond the Section 8 contract! The realtor told me that she's never even SEEN a situation where the Section 8 tenants in buildings for sale are NOT paying extra under the table!

I've considered stating in my ads, "LL will not commit fraud by accepting additional money under the table from Section 8 tenants", but I don't want to go near mentioning anything about Section 8 in a real estate ad, for fear of being accused of discrimination. So I have to go on telling the hordes of callers, "No, I will not commit fraud for you." And they always sound so astonished that I won't do it! Some of them try to persuade me, saying, "But I've always been paying more under the table, for years, everywhere I have rented with the voucher!"

I really shouldn't complain, because even though most of my properties are more than Section 8 is willing to pay, this infusion of rental subsidies, with people paying above what their voucher will allow, drives up the prices on ALL rental units in the area. I just feel sorry for the people who really need the subsidy, and are on the decade long waiting list.
They sound like really stupid people that are calling you. Plenty of places that are nice and decent that accept vouchers. NO REASON AT ALL TO PAY UNDER THE TABLE. And who the hell would pay extra to live in that ghetto of new britain?(even if you get something near border, still same school district) Much nicer towns you can use a voucher in and not pay extra. There's something fishy(ie they could be selling drugs/having more people than their supposed to have in the apt, which is also fraud) to be willing to pay extra. It doesn't make any sense. Do not rent to someone who offers you extra. EVER!

Old 09-26-2014, 08:08 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
People on Section 8 want to rent in New Britain for several reasons. New Britain Section 8 pays about $900/month for a 3 BR without utilities. You are not going to find anything decent anywhere else for that price - it's hard enough to find anything decent even in New Britain for that amount. Also, people prefer to live where they are at ease, and many of the people who receive Section 8 are feel at home in New Britain.

It's not that people are stupid - it's that it's SO pervasive, that no one is afraid of being caught doing it. As for having more people in the apt than are on the voucher, that's rampant, too. You can assume that when you rent to a single mother and her kids, "Babydaddy" will be there too, even though he's not on the voucher.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
People on Section 8 want to rent in New Britain for several reasons. New Britain Section 8 pays about $900/month for a 3 BR without utilities. You are not going to find anything decent anywhere else for that price - it's hard enough to find anything decent even in New Britain for that amount. Also, people prefer to live where they are at ease, and many of the people who receive Section 8 are feel at home in New Britain.

It's not that people are stupid - it's that it's SO pervasive, that no one is afraid of being caught doing it. As for having more people in the apt than are on the voucher, that's rampant, too. You can assume that when you rent to a single mother and her kids, "Babydaddy" will be there too, even though he's not on the voucher.
Hmmmm....
http://www.ct.gov/doh/lib/doh/dss/20...d_schedule.pdf

You mean tell to tell me that New britain housing authority will only cover 900/month for a 3 bedroom rental? Can you show me a link to that. That doesn't sound correct. The CT state based section 8 program will cover a 3 bed apt for up to 1457/month in hartford county as shown in the link above.

Why would someone who could have their entire rent covered want to pay more????? The whole point is to make it so people work service jobs(a huge percentage of people) can actually afford to rent an apartment when wages don't match what's being charged for apartments. I have a hard time believing that the housing authority doesn't give enough to meet FMR in an area. The voucher would be worthless.

The voucher is federal. All the funds come from hud. It's simply adminstered by new britain as well as other housing authorities.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 PM

My thinking is the person offering cash on the down low on top of what the voucher is paying is up to no good and wants the landlord to look the other way because he knows he'll never get that much money by just renting it on the free market.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:58 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Why is it a violation for the tenant to pay the difference?

doh: Housing Assistance - Section 8

Is the information in this link wrong?

Old 09-27-2014, 05:23 AM

428 posts, read 831,401 times
Seems as if it is quite legal "The family pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the HCV program." -DOH

Old 09-27-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Seems as if it is quite legal "The family pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the HCV program." -DOH
Yes. That's 30% of income. That's what the tenant is supposed to pay. So if you're making 1000/month in groos income, you'd pay 300 bucks a month towards an apt with all utilities included. The rest would be covered by section 8.

He's saying they pay EXTRA cash past the 30% they owe under the program. Again this makes absolutely no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut