Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,448 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I will be a new graduate dentist from Houston Texas in 2015. I came from Vietnam 8 years ago and spent the last 8 years in Houston with family and go to schools here. I'm single and really want to experience something new in my life. I'm thinking about CT because it is in between Boston and NY with four seasons, which I have never experienced before. However, I worry about the winter and cost of living there. If living in Texas, I can have a good job or open my own clinic soon, but I will be stuck. I'm 30 now and I feel my life has been so boring with the same life in same weather. Is dentistry very saturated in CT? Can a dentist make a good living there? Is winter very harsh in CT? I will take WREB licensure exam, which is accepted in CT. I'm single, so relocation is easy for me, but I just want to have more advices so I don't regret.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 10:29 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonpham_84 View Post
Hi,
I will be a new graduate dentist from Houston Texas in 2015. I came from Vietnam 8 years ago and spent the last 8 years in Houston with family and go to schools here. I'm single and really want to experience something new in my life. I'm thinking about CT because it is in between Boston and NY with four seasons, which I have never experienced before. However, I worry about the winter and cost of living there. If living in Texas, I can have a good job or open my own clinic soon, but I will be stuck. I'm 30 now and I feel my life has been so boring with the same life in same weather. Is dentistry very saturated in CT? Can a dentist make a good living there? Is winter very harsh in CT? I will take WREB licensure exam, which is accepted in CT. I'm single, so relocation is easy for me, but I just want to have more advices so I don't regret.
Thank you

Moving from Texas to Connnecticut is big change in term of people, lifestyle, weather etc. CT is a nice state to live and it is one of most expensive places to live in term of cost of living some of top public schools and colleges are located here you have great acess to highways, trains to NYC, Boston even to Philly/D.C areas by Amtrak. In CT don't expect big cities like Austin, Houston here our cities are average to small under 150,000 it smaller pack dense cities. CT has alot of dentist jobs spread across the state you won't have that much of problem finding a dentist job here. Winters in CT are not as bad as the more northern states like New Hampshire Late December-Late February is the coldest It range from 32 degree to 10 degree the wind chill is like negative 10 sometimes in January/February and it also the most snowiest months, Fall Time the leaves on tree change color and fall off it start to get chilly, Spring Time one day it warm and the next it not as warm. A average snow storm is 6 inches-1 feet and It really get bad when it 15-25 inches of snow that happen once or twice a season. Summer time is not as hot as Texas but when we get heat waves it get hot like Texas summer average is 84 degree and heat wave is 94-100 degree in middle of July but this summer we did'nt rarely had any heat waves we luckly.

Here options of places to live

Downtown Stamford- alot of apartments, bars, young professionals, restaurants, stores, easy acess to I-95 and Metro North train to Manhattan in NYC(40 Min train ride) you close to White Plains, NY and other Weschester County, NY towns like Rye they only 15-20 mins form Stamford.

New Haven- Home of Yale University top 5 college in America, Art Gallery, some of best pizzas, good restaurants, quite few colleges in New Haven, Metro North to NYC(85 min drive), Amtrak to NYC and Boston , easy highway acess. East Rock, Wooster Square, Downtown is sections of New Haven East Rock is recommend.

West Hartford- alot of bars, kinda virbant in the downtown area it walkable, alot of young people in their 20s and 30s.

If you like don't citylife Milford, West Hartford is strongly recommoned.

CT is a small state btw.

Last edited by BPt111; 09-28-2014 at 10:41 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 09:35 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Hi,
Thank you
Based on what I know about my dentist, yes, you can make a very good living here. Since the state is more wealthy, people have the money to take care of their teeth.

It is a lovely state with a lot of fun things to do. Access to both NY and Boston will add to the mix. I don't think COL will be a problem for a dentist here-- Even in the most expensive parts of the state, but, you would be able to purchase a much bigger house for the same money in the Houston area.

Come visit... See if you like it.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:25 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Based on what I know about my dentist, yes, you can make a very good living here. Since the state is more wealthy, people have the money to take care of their teeth.

It is a lovely state with a lot of fun things to do. Access to both NY and Boston will add to the mix. I don't think COL will be a problem for a dentist here-- Even in the most expensive parts of the state, but, you would be able to purchase a much bigger house for the same money in the Houston area.

Come visit... See if you like it.

I agree I would visit the state first Texas to CT is a big change.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:35 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
I vaguely remember reading an article that said CT residents spend more than any other state on dental care. IIRC, you'd be in a good spot here.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,448 times
Thank you for your replies.
I would also want to ask you about car and tax. If I bring my car from Texas and plan to live in CT for only 1-3 years, do I have to register my car and change my Driver license? Do I have to pay for car property tax?

Old 09-30-2014, 03:04 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Thank you for your replies.
I would also want to ask you about car and tax. If I bring my car from Texas and plan to live in CT for only 1-3 years, do I have to register my car and change my Driver license? Do I have to pay for car property tax?
By law, yes. Anyone living here more than 6 months must register their car here and pay taxes on it. Whether you do that or not is a different story. Jay

Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Just bear in mind that this upcoming winter is supposed to be brutally cold -- with daily temperatures well below average AND we're expected to get above average snowfall this winter. It will be very similar to a Buffalo winter. I'm excited though.

Farmer's Almanac Predicts 'Super-Cold' Winter, More Snow In Eastern U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut