Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 7,301 times

Advertisements

i just relocated from north carolina to CT and have been in the market for buying houses since last 2 months. i finally found the house, which i like but found out that the basement of the house had water in 2006. Today they have the sump pump in the basement with water in the hole of the sump pump only 2" below the floor.

1. Is it normal to have water in the basement in west hartford area?
2. Is it normal to have water level in the sump pump hole barlely 2" below the basement floor?
3. can the basement be flooded again with the sump pump?
4. Is this a good house worth buying or should i just move on to the next house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 09:15 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I do not know if it is common to have water in the basement in West Hartford, but the home I grew up in had a water problem and a sump pump and we had no problems. The pump is there to keep the ater from reaching a level where it will flood your basement. We never stored anything of value down there and the furnace was raised. You might want to have a second pump in case the one you already has goes on you. Good luck, Jay

Old 12-29-2007, 04:05 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
I would not buy it. You won't be able to use the basement for anything except storage, and then only on raised platforms. I think it would maybe get that 'musty basement' smell too. My parents' basement does. Yuck.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:56 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
I would not buy it. You won't be able to use the basement for anything except storage, and then only on raised platforms. I think it would maybe get that 'musty basement' smell too. My parents' basement does. Yuck.
I don't believe that water in the basement is normal for homes in West Hartford. If there is a sump pump in there, then the place is prone to flooding. There are certain homes south of Farmington Ave east of Troutbrook that have a tendency to flood in strong rains like the areas around Butterfly Restaurant (Outlook, Bishop, etc.) and certain intersections south of Asylum east of Troutbrook, but the latter ones have clear drains that pretty much catch the overflow. You may have water buildup on the roads but have not heard our friends complain it actually made it to their basement.

Too bad you missed my house!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 7,301 times
thank you for the responses.... I just want to make sure that we are on the same page....as I mentioned earlier, there was water in the basement in 2006, right now there is no water in the basement, but the water is only 2" below the floor in sump pit.

would you still recommend not to buy the house.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:58 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
I would recommend to move on to another house. Don't buy the house.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger07 View Post
thank you for the responses.... I just want to make sure that we are on the same page....as I mentioned earlier, there was water in the basement in 2006, right now there is no water in the basement, but the water is only 2" below the floor in sump pit.

would you still recommend not to buy the house.

I still would not-if there is a sump pump, that means they have had problems with water, and enough problems to warrant a sump pump. I'd take it as a red flag, and cross this house off my list.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:48 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I had sump pump in basement in Denver and had full finished basement,2 br bath wet bar family room,no problem,no nothing negative.Had an alarm on it in case pump failed.In East Windsor,Ct,same no problem.I would check out history of property.

Last edited by DanBev; 12-29-2007 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: add to message

Old 12-29-2007, 11:50 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I wouldn't let a sump pump stop me from buying a home I really liked. JMHO Jay

Old 12-30-2007, 08:35 PM

625 posts, read 2,049,615 times
Hi Tiger07,

What did your Realtor advise that you do? You might want to speak with a home inspector or a basement waterproofing company about the issue.

I am a Realtor working in West Hartford and, honestly, water is very common in basements in West Hartford. It's good that the sellers disclosed it and have done something to fix future issues.

I would recommend discussing your concerns with your real estate agent. They should be able to put you in contact with professionals that can address your questions. Good luck! And don't worry, if this house doesn't work out, there will be others to choose from, we're just starting to move into the spring market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut