Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 AM

627 posts, read 1,058,342 times

Advertisements

Aren't most fast food workers working random shifts? I don't really see how the workers would be friendlier if they don't work Sundays. It's not like they are working 7 days a week and this saves a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
Aren't most fast food workers working random shifts? I don't really see how the workers would be friendlier if they don't work Sundays. It's not like they are working 7 days a week and this saves a day.

One of the issues with fast food and/or restaurants is their busiest times are on the weekend and/or night. It's nearly impossible to get a weekend day off in this industry unless your in management or executive chef. Having Sundays off also allows employees to spend a day with their kids. I'm surprised they do this considering the revenue they are missing out on. It would make more sense (revenue wise) to be closed on Mondays which some restaurants are.

In regards to scheduling your days off may be random, but the shifts you work are usually consistent. I worked at a hotel while in college (as a chef) and they loved to give me two days off not in a row. So, I may work Monday on, Tues off, Wendesday on, Thurs off, Fri on, Sat on, Sun on. It was extremely annoying. The one thing I always asked mgmt for was to have two days off in a row no matter what those days were and it was hard to get that out of them.

Another thing in this industry is there's always opportunities to pick up more shifts. IF you work in a large enough restaurant someone will be calling out sick or quitting at least once a week.
Back in the old days of the 90's when I was still getting paid via printed check I had to go to the hotel to pick up the check in person on Fridays. If I wasn't scheduled to work on Friday I wouldn't pick up my check. About 25% of the time someone called out sick and they would ask me to come in. Hard to say your sick when your standing in front of your boss and he can see your not sick.

Last edited by MrGompers; 10-23-2014 at 10:52 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
One of the issues with fast food and/or restaurants is their busiest times are on the weekend and/or night. It's nearly impossible to get a weekend day off in this industry unless your in management or executive chef. Having Sundays off also allows employees to spend a day with their kids. I'm surprised they do this considering the revenue they are missing out on. It would make more sense (revenue wise) to be closed on Mondays which some restaurants are.

In regards to scheduling your days off may be random, but the shifts you work are usually consistent. I worked at a hotel while in college (as a chef) and they loved to give me two days off not in a row. So, I may work Monday on, Tues off, Wendesday on, Thurs off, Fri on, Sat on, Sun on. It was extremely annoying. The one thing I always asked mgmt for was to have two days off in a row no matter what those days were and it was hard to get that out of them.

Another thing in this industry is there's always opportunities to pick up more shifts. IF you work in a large enough restaurant someone will be calling out sick or quitting at least once a week.
Back in the old days of the 90's when I was still getting paid via printed check I had to go to the hotel to pick up the check in person on Fridays. If I wasn't scheduled to work on Friday I wouldn't pick up my check. About 25% of the time someone called out sick and they would ask me to come in. Hard to say your sick when your standing in front of your boss and he can see your not sick.
I'd like to meet the executive chef next time I'm at McDonalds.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,833,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Fast food actually does have executive chefs, but they would be at the corporate head quarters. Don't think you will find any at the local McDonalds.

Most restaurants/hotels do have executive chefs. If the establishment is big enough they may even have more than one. That's unusual but I've seen it.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:44 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
On Nov. 3, Chick-fil-A is coming to the school in Danbury I currently work at to give out "free samples".......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Breakfast at CF is better then lunch/dinner in my opinion. Popeye's I don't think is that great, where my brother lives in Florida there is a Lee's Famous Recipe that I think is better but if you really want southern you have to give Bojangles a try. Hardees has really good fried chicken as well if you ever had a chance to try it.

In the south its usually these chain places:

1. Sonny's Barbecue.
2. Krispy Kreme.
3. Chick-Fila.
4. Winn-Dixie, Publix, or Piggly Wiggly for grocery.
5. Lee's Famous Recipe.
6. Bojangles.
7. Huddle House.
8. Krystals.
9. Popeye's.
10. Raising Canes Chicken Fingers.
11. Whataburger.
12. Zaxby's.
13. Waffle House.
14. Biscuitville.
It's been awhile since I've been down that way but I thought Winn-Dixie and Publix were only found in Georgia and Florida.......

Quote:

He/she might have meant "senior chef" but I'm not sure they have those either.....

Old 05-11-2016, 11:04 AM

854 posts, read 1,241,726 times
Chick-fil-a will expand to West Hartford

West Hartford Council Approves Chick-Fil-A On New Park Avenue - Courant Community

Old 05-11-2016, 11:11 AM

503 posts, read 530,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Yum! I'll take one chicken-flavored frankenfood sandwich with a side of homophobia please.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:24 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
That's another Chick-Fil-A I won't step foot in.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:25 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,220 times
Quote:
That's another Chick-Fil-A I won't step foot in.
You're missing out... their food is great (for fast food)..

Old 05-11-2016, 12:27 PM

138 posts, read 116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
You're missing out... their food is great (for fast food)..
But completely outclassed by Duchess. I guess its good for West Hartford then (anyone know why Duchess hasn't expanded upstate?) but they don't fit as well into Fairfield County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut