Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post

No traffic in the United States is worse than the Long Island Expressway/Northern Parkway .
Honestly this is the sole reason my husband and I left NY. We got engaged when we were 24, and at that point in our lives, we could not afford to buy a house in Brooklyn; We could not afford Westchester either. Our options in NY were limited to LI, and because of the traffic and the constant sense of feeling trapped (IMO), it's probably my least favorite place in the world...and so here we are in northern Fairfield county! Thankfully we really liked it here and were happy with our decision, and we decided to stay when kids came along, even though our purchasing power increased over the past 20 years. From what I see on this board though, I might feel differently about CT if we lived in the southern part of the county and were dependent on 95 or 15 to get to where we needed to go. It sounds like those roads approach or exceed the headache that the LIE is. At least in CT though, you don't have the nagging sense that you're geographically trapped and entirely bridge dependent when you want or need to get to someplace else...

Last edited by Lalalally; 10-20-2014 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 07:44 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
People texting/day dreaming/playing with their gps/smart phone, people not checking their blind spot ect. ect. There will always be bad drivers. All highways have accidents. THat's not why the traffic is so bad. It's the number of cars on the highway. It's over capacity.
Exactly!

Old 10-21-2014, 07:48 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Honestly this is the sole reason my husband and I left NY. We got engaged when we were 24, and at that point in our lives, we could not afford to buy a house in Brooklyn; We could not afford Westchester either. Our options in NY were limited to LI, and because of the traffic and the constant sense of feeling trapped (IMO), it's probably my least favorite place in the world...and so here we are in northern Fairfield county! Thankfully we really liked it here and were happy with our decision, and we decided to stay when kids came along, even though our purchasing power increased over the past 20 years. From what I see on this board though, I might feel differently about CT if we lived in the southern part of the county and were dependent on 95 or 15 to get to where we needed to go. It sounds like those roads approach or exceed the headache that the LIE is. At least in CT though, you don't have the nagging sense that you're geographically trapped and entirely bridge dependent when you want or need to get to someplace else...
True, there is no feeling of being trapped or bridge dependent and no real feeling of being dependant on these highways as well as we are already here. It's the cars coming down from Bridgeport and beyond every morning and evening that are more dependent.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:45 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
!!!! Can I friggin drive in this state without seeing this everytime???!!!! !@

Today, Tuesday 10/21/14 1pm. Route 8

Sign of the cross for these folks. Hopefully there was no emergency to get to for a human or a Pets needs.

And then some poor sole stuck in traffic gets hit from behind and so there was another accident I saw within the traffic jam.

It is completely nerve racking to leave my house wondering, hoping, and praying, but knowing I might be in this or come across it every single day, any friggin time!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:59 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,985 times
Cam, I think Iowa is calling your name. lol

Flat roads, tractors and cornfields. Easy driving.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Cam, I think Iowa is calling your name. lol

Flat roads, tractors and cornfields. Easy driving.
I just want the 1950s back in CT, heck, give me the 1990s. Volume is crazy on our roads today. I knew a bad economy wouldnt help the matter. People flock out of southern NY to here.

I hope nobody got hurt today but I'm getting lucky being on the other side of it. Sad I need to call it luck.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:08 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,350,803 times
Quote:
The cross bronx is worse. Much worse. But I agree the LIE is horrific. NYC traffic is the worst in the country. There's no place in LA where it takes you an hour and 1/2 to go 3 blocks in the 20's in manhattan or an hour plus to get across a bridge. This is routine in nyc. The intensity of the traffic in nyc metro is unmatched. You're better off without a car.
I always found the LIE to be worse. But I think NYC does have the worst traffic in America...

Old 10-21-2014, 03:42 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPizza View Post
I always found the LIE to be worse. But I think NYC does have the worst traffic in America...
The cross bronx is only a few miles. 24/7 congestion. The lie runs for 30+ miles so of course that's probably why you think it's worse.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,094 times
Quote:
The cross bronx is only a few miles. 24/7 congestion. The lie runs for 30+ miles so of course that's probably why you think it's worse.

More like 70 miles of pure hell!

Old 10-21-2014, 05:06 PM

Was on Merritt North Stamford at 5:15pm. Screeching tires is not something you wanna hear. I looked in my side mirror and someone slammed on the brakes and almost hit someone merging on. Not sure if they hit, it didn't look like they stopped.

So either the person who slammed on the brake was speeding or the one merging didn't judge the timing to get on I guess. Either way, it's mind boggling what I see and hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut