Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 11:56 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times

Advertisements

Which nobody likes anyway. It's all about fios now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 06:21 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,625 times
I'm not a big telephone person, but after a few days with not even a robocall, I picked up my landline to find it was dead - again. That was on Thursday; today, Sunday, someone from Frontier came and turned the phone back on outside. This happened last Dec., right after Frontier took over and I was told "someone" had turned the phone off outside (I am in a condo and there is a panel on the end of the building). I have been here 20+ years and never had loss of phone service (that I know of anyway) with AT&T. Now it has happened twice since Dec. I feel now I will have to check every day and make sure the phone is working.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:25 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
Which nobody likes anyway. It's all about fios now.
FiOS /is/ landline. Personally I'd like to get my landline back, because I worry about losing power and thereby losing phone access at home. I currently have wifi phone bundled with my internet and TV. I switched out of Frontier because of a 3-month nightmare (and 3 months later they still owe me $58).

I'm not willing to go back to Frontier and split up my internet/tv package just to get landline though. And adding a new landline just so I can use the phone when the power is out seems pretty stupid since you have to pay by the month.

We have a Tracfone, which stinks, but I guess it's better than nothing in an emergency. Spouse thinks he's going to buy an iPhone and pay for cellular service in the near future. Personally I'm not interested. I hate the phone, I don't "text," and I'm happy to have my telephone wired into a wall jack.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up my landline

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
FiOS /is/ landline. Personally I'd like to get my landline back, because I worry about losing power and thereby losing phone access at home. I currently have wifi phone bundled with my internet and TV. I switched out of Frontier because of a 3-month nightmare (and 3 months later they still owe me $58).

I'm not willing to go back to Frontier and split up my internet/tv package just to get landline though. And adding a new landline just so I can use the phone when the power is out seems pretty stupid since you have to pay by the month.

We have a Tracfone, which stinks, but I guess it's better than nothing in an emergency. Spouse thinks he's going to buy an iPhone and pay for cellular service in the near future. Personally I'm not interested. I hate the phone, I don't "text," and I'm happy to have my telephone wired into a wall jack.

When we had the 2 hurricanes in consecutive years, I had one of only 2 landlines in our condo complex. Everyone's cellphones were dead so we made the important calls for everyone, including to the utility, etc. I am not a "telephone person" and am happy when I don't get any calls and I rarely make many calls. But I have had that phone # for 20+ years and it is the only contact # for some people to reach me. Most of the time I get nuisance calls, Card Services, Senior Life Support (they sell medical alert pendants), etc. But I do like having a landline.

I also have a Tracfone and do not really like it much at all. The phone # I originally got belonged to someone who owed $$ to everyone and I was bombarded with collection calls. I changed it and got another # where I am getting collection calls. I guess people who owe a lot of money change their phone number, then their old number is given out to someone else. I got a New Mexico phone number and recently had to call AAA and called their 800 number and the call was answered by New Mexico road service and they had to route me thru to CT. I will keep my landline if it continues to work and it is useful for calling places I might be on hold for a long time, so I don't use up the Tracfone minutes.

Anon Chick - good luck with your service. Maybe your husband has the right idea.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:16 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
I'm not a big telephone person, but after a few days with not even a robocall, I picked up my landline to find it was dead - again. That was on Thursday; today, Sunday, someone from Frontier came and turned the phone back on outside. This happened last Dec., right after Frontier took over and I was told "someone" had turned the phone off outside (I am in a condo and there is a panel on the end of the building). I have been here 20+ years and never had loss of phone service (that I know of anyway) with AT&T. Now it has happened twice since Dec. I feel now I will have to check every day and make sure the phone is working.
Make sure you ask for a credit for the days without service They should give you one. We have lost landline service and got a credit. Jay

Old 04-13-2015, 06:12 PM

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Make sure you ask for a credit for the days without service They should give you one. We have lost landline service and got a credit. Jay

Thanks, I'll do that. But it is hard to understand how the phone gets turned off outside twice. Anyway it is working now so I'm happy.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
I'm in the process of moving further north, and it appears that my only 2 options are frontier and cox. There are so many bad reviews on here about Frontier, but I don't know anything about Cox.

Any knowledge about which is the lesser of two evils? I have to pick one, but I don't know which one to choose.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:24 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Cox but play Frontier against them to get a better deal. Plus write everything they promise down because they are notorious for billing you incorrectly. DW talked with them in February and got a good deal by checking what Frontier would charge. In March and April bills were incorrect but they corrected them. Now in May they are trying to tell her their rates have gone up. She is getting ready to call them back and blast them again. Jay

Old 05-11-2015, 12:19 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Cox but play Frontier against them to get a better deal. Plus write everything they promise down because they are notorious for billing you incorrectly. DW talked with them in February and got a good deal by checking what Frontier would charge. In March and April bills were incorrect but they corrected them. Now in May they are trying to tell her their rates have gone up. She is getting ready to call them back and blast them again. Jay
We've had Frontier since the switch over to UVerse. I think that was September or October. We have not had one correct bill from them yet. Not one. (And, of course, it's never that we were under-billed - it's always a radical overbilling...)

Old 05-13-2015, 05:58 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
We've had Frontier since the switch over to UVerse. I think that was September or October. We have not had one correct bill from them yet. Not one. (And, of course, it's never that we were under-billed - it's always a radical overbilling...)
Sigh...this is my worry. I definitely don't want to go through the hassle of fighting a bill every single month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut