Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 05:41 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Waterbury
Manchester
East Hartford
Meriden
Ansonia
Naugatuck
Are these your "best" or "worst"?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:12 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
Easton should also be included in the top 5 towns.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 11,327 times
Hello,
my husband and I are potentially moving to southeastern CT for our jobs. I have lived there briefly before and quite like it, but he has not lived in CT and is anti-CT for no good reason, thinks its too rural, too expensive, not really new england (we are both from mass, love NH and maine). we are looking for a nice town that is convenient to major highways, shopping, has good culture/activities/recreation (nice downtown, lakes or state parks/trails/beaches locally). families are in mass (metrowest boston and north of boston) so the closer to them the better.....any advice???? i know we are probably asking a lot. my job would be in salem, his would be in hartford, new haven, or south of boston. so much up in the air right now, its really rough.

need some advice from people who know the area! thanks so much. )

Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lel34 View Post
Hello,
my husband and I are potentially moving to southeastern CT for our jobs. I have lived there briefly before and quite like it, but he has not lived in CT and is anti-CT for no good reason, thinks its too rural, too expensive, not really new england (we are both from mass, love NH and maine). we are looking for a nice town that is convenient to major highways, shopping, has good culture/activities/recreation (nice downtown, lakes or state parks/trails/beaches locally). families are in mass (metrowest boston and north of boston) so the closer to them the better.....any advice???? i know we are probably asking a lot. my job would be in salem, his would be in hartford, new haven, or south of boston. so much up in the air right now, its really rough.

If he is working in Hartford and you in Salem...check out Glastonbury, Marlborough area. Commute time for both will be easy and 84 to Boston is breeze.

You will also have access to all Hartford offers citywise.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lel34 View Post
Hello,

Don't tell me that your husband is one of those Massachusetts "snobs" that think anything south of their state is not New England enough? I don't mean to sound insulting but I have met people like this and get a little annoyed with their attitudes. Connecticut is just as much a part of New England as the other states.

If you don't want a rural area then you will probably need to be closer to one of the larger cities in the state. I agree with JViello that Glastonbury would be good. It is a great suburb of Hartford that would give you a reasonable commute to Salem and he a reasonable commute to Hartford or New Haven and access to the Boston area. If your husband ends up working in New Haven, you might consider one of the suburbs east of that town. Guilford and Madison are very nice, fit your description and are accessable to Salem. Hope this helps. Jay

Old 02-07-2008, 03:57 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Don't tell me that your husband is one of those Massachusetts "snobs" that think anything south of their state is not New England enough? I don't mean to sound insulting but I have met people like this and get a little annoyed with their attitudes. Connecticut is just as much a part of New England as the other states.
You said it, I was thinking it.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You said it, I was thinking it.
I know I should not have said it, but it was one of those days when I just could not contain myself. Nothing against the people of Mass but some get an attitude and it is annoying. I guess though that this could be said about any State though. Jay

Old 02-08-2008, 05:58 AM

4 posts, read 11,327 times
trust me i'm working on him.....he's just never spent any time in CT...and the whole not liking change thing....i'll get him out of snob mode before we move ) thanks for the advice!

Old 02-08-2008, 06:53 AM

lel34 - I hope you did not take offense with my comment. Connecticut may be influenced by New York but it is still very New England. Get him down here for a visit and check out the towns mentioned. I think he will like it. Jay

Old 02-08-2008, 08:25 AM

84 posts, read 360,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
lel34 - I hope you did not take offense with my comment. Connecticut may be influenced by New York but it is still very New England. Get him down here for a visit and check out the towns mentioned. I think he will like it. Jay
Jay I agree with you about that perspective. Being from Mass, I've lived all around the Northeast, but I have many friends in Massachusetts who have really never left the state. For many of them going to Rhode Island is a like going to a foreign country let alone Connecticut. CT is so unique in that as many areas are like NY, there are just as many, that are classic New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut