Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 08:07 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think I've been doing? Hartford was one of my target locations in which I applied to jobs. I applied to 8 jobs and had no luck there. But that's all there is for me that I'm qualified and interested in there.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:08 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Then why don't you go to Hartford County? You have a graduate degree in a demographic that thinks highly of highly educated people. Masters Degrees are like Master industry certifications or licensure, you've reached the top of the education/training ladder, you're not an apprentice you're a pro.

I was just saying Nep that 35 minutes ain't nothing, I've wasted that amount of time waiting for my wife to get ready to go out.
Jeebus man, don't you get it? Nep is a tiny little boy, in an otter's body. He knows not what to do and must consult the Mommy frequently. A masters degree does not mean a thing, when the person holding it is incapable of making up their mind about ANYTHING. Frankly, i'm surprised he has a job (maybe he doesn't), can you imagine him in your office?

Old 11-15-2014, 11:32 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
No, that is not the case.

My gross pay is $75,307. My pre-tax deductions are $11,023, which includes a 13% contribution to my 401k and medical, dental and vision premiums. Annual taxes withheld are $18,498. That leaves me with disposable income of $45,787 per year of net pay. The rent is $21,000 a year. So after rent, I'm left with $24,787. But then, I transfer to my savings account $7,531 per year to accumulate in savings. I don't want to spend ALL of my disposable income. I like to keep 10-15% of it in savings. Got it?
I hated living in apartments with lousy sound insulation. I swore I would never share a wall or floor/ceiling again, and I have lived in houses on quiet streets as soon as I was able to do it. So I understand. I watched the construction of the new apartments in Stamford near the UConn campus, and I was amazed at how poorly they were constructed for noise insulation. They were built like houses, with ordinary stud walls between apartments. High prices, but I bet it sucks to live there. I get it about noise.

You need to compromise on either (1) monthly cost or (2) commute time to stay in this job long enough to not be a job hopper.

I would recommend making your commute longer IF you move to a location where you can stay off 95. A longer commute on less annoying/terrifying roads will be better than you think.

But I predict you'll figure out a way to ignore this advice, too.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:52 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Jeebus man, don't you get it? Nep is a tiny little boy, in an otter's body. He knows not what to do and must consult the Mommy frequently. A masters degree does not mean a thing, when the person holding it is incapable of making up their mind about ANYTHING. Frankly, i'm surprised he has a job (maybe he doesn't), can you imagine him in your office?
I have technical trade skill, I don't work in an office setting. My job is fast paced and where you can get pulled off one task and have to go help or finish up another, and when you're finished what you were trying to get done is still there waiting to get finished. Get it in, diagnose the cause, write up the PMI sheet and while you're waiting for an answer go ahead and get something else in. Get it done, get it back out to the customer, don't screw anything up in the process.

My point is however Nep must have transitional skills based on all his education and work experience so if he cannot get what he wants in FFC and his field is dried up in other areas then use those transitional skill sets to go to another location and if need be another field, people in today's work enviornment change jobs, it's not uncommon, better opportunity comes along you take it. Neither employer or employee trust anymore.

And personally FFC can go kick rocks, it blows my mind that people are willingly to pay 1,750 a month for a 1 bedroom closet, I have a whole house of my own for 950 a month. The young folks going into Manhattan after college is another example. They say that's where all the good jobs are, I say if those jobs are so good then why do have to live with 4 strangers just to be able to afford a 2 bedroom apartment? I'm 42 and was born in 71 some of these younger folks just make no sense to me.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:59 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Quote:
I have technical trade skill, I don't work in an office setting. My job is fast paced and where you can get pulled off one task and have to go help or finish up another, and when you're finished what you were trying to get done is still there waiting to get finished. Get it in, diagnose the cause, write up the PMI sheet and while you're waiting for an answer go ahead and get something else in. Get it done, get it back out to the customer, don't screw anything up in the process.

My point is however Nep must have transitional skills based on all his education and work experience so if he cannot get what he wants in FFC and his field is dried up in other areas then use those transitional skill sets to go to another location and if need be another field, people in today's work enviornment change jobs, it's not uncommon, better opportunity comes along you take it. Neither employer or employee trust anymore.

And personally FFC can go kick rocks, it blows my mind that people are willingly to pay 1,750 a month for a 1 bedroom closet, I have a whole house of my own for 950 a month. The young folks going into Manhattan after college is another example. They say that's where all the good jobs are, I say if those jobs are so good then why do have to live with 4 strangers just to be able to afford a 2 bedroom apartment? I'm 42 and was born in 71 some of these younger folks just make no sense to me.
You sound like guy with loads of common sense and logic, unfortunately none of that applies in this situation. Nep simply will not be happy unless he achieves immediately everything that others have achieved through hard work and sacrifice; location is secondary to any of it. If I had to make an edumacated guess, i'd say he was coddled a wee bit to much by the Mommy...

Old 11-16-2014, 06:03 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
The young folks going into Manhattan after college is another example. They say that's where all the good jobs are, I say if those jobs are so good then why do have to live with 4 strangers just to be able to afford a 2 bedroom apartment? I'm 42 and was born in 71 some of these younger folks just make no sense to me.
What's so difficult to figure out? They're taking good advice from their parents and grandparents on what to do.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:14 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Buffalo????

I wouldn't want to have to deal with all of the Canadian tourists. But that's just me.
Quote:
Crap...I didn't realize that. You're probably right about there being tons of Canadian tourists. Ugh. I should cancel the interview.
So, what was the feedback from the Buffalo forum about the Canadian tourists?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
Quote:
I am committed to getting a job out of here and relocating out of here.
This is not the greatest time of the year to look for work because of the upcoming holidays.

Also, I think the Hartford, CT area is where you'll be the happiest for now - I say keep plugging away at job applications there although limited at this point in time.

As others have mentioned, the Buffalo, NY - WNY areas is very snowy compared to CT period! Unless you love huge snow and its snow banks for a lengthy amount of time. Even I discounted that area real fast because of the snowfall they get.

How about northern Massachusetts, wait scratch that you don't like cities or long-er commutes.

If this was America in its job multitude heyday you would've had another job long ago imo.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:42 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,195,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't understand why the mods on this forum allow this to continue.
Because most of us (I take) like Nep.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:11 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
Because most of us (I take) like Nep.
I don't believe this to be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut