Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 05:14 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,155,401 times

Advertisements

The Lordship and Main St. areas of Stratford are very nice. I guess those would be considered south, unless you mean near THE border.
Cool air drops anyway so it shouldn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 07:00 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,066,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
Question is, do they blow that horn day in/out (at night, too)? And how annoying will that get, because...wow, it was loud. I believe it was Metro North - and I'm curious how many times a day I'll have to be subjected to that.
If it was Metro North, you'll hear it many times a day.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:01 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,789,320 times
Quote:
Any input on living in Shelton? I realize it's further from everything but I'd have to use my car anyway...the good, the bad, and the ugly?

How about South End Stratford area?

Also, does anyone have central a/c that's got vents on the floor, instead of ceilings? I'm seeing a lot of that in CT and am wondering how efficient they are and how cost effective to cool, vs ceiling vents.
Heating costs are the greatest and I would think that floor vents are slightly more effective for heating, as heat rises. My basement has ceiling vents, main floor has floor vents, and top floor has ceiling vents. My house is new construction.

Shelton is a nice town. The downtown has some pockets that are still trashy. It's still not a great downtown and is probably the least desirable part of town. There's not much reason to walk around downtown there as it really doesn't have any scene. It is trying to revive, with the new Avalon apartments and whatnot, but it's still not there and it's nowhere near as nice as some other good downtowns in the area.

The rest of Shelton is nice suburbia, with a few sections that feel more rural as you get up into and past the Huntington area up to the northwest corner. Huntington has a decent amount of larger new single family homes.

If you're worried about being bored, however, I'm not sure how Shelton will play out for you. The southern part of Stratford, if you mean Lordship is pretty nice - and would be near more things to do, shopping, restaurants, etc. than Shelton. Shelton, however, like Milford - is a decently quick drive to New Haven.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:23 PM

369 posts, read 555,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
The Lordship and Main St. areas of Stratford are very nice. I guess those would be considered south, unless you mean near THE border.
Cool air drops anyway so it shouldn't matter.
My agent went to see the place in SE Stratford, to save me a 5-hour drive again for nothing. He said the place was really nice but the area is "sketchy". I know what that means in LA, but from some of what I'd seen in parts of Startford, I wouldn't like living near sketchy areas. What is THE border mean?

Last edited by HoliWood; 12-14-2014 at 05:55 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
If it was Metro North, you'll hear it many times a day.
It is Metro North - but do they stop honking at night? I can't imagine they're honking away during sleep hours - or does it not matter? I realize they do it for safety reasons, but is there no "quiet time"?

Old 12-14-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Heating costs are the greatest and I would think that floor vents are slightly more effective for heating, as heat rises. My basement has ceiling vents, main floor has floor vents, and top floor has ceiling vents. My house is new construction.

Shelton is a nice town. The downtown has some pockets that are still trashy. It's still not a great downtown and is probably the least desirable part of town. There's not much reason to walk around downtown there as it really doesn't have any scene. It is trying to revive, with the new Avalon apartments and whatnot, but it's still not there and it's nowhere near as nice as some other good downtowns in the area.

The rest of Shelton is nice suburbia, with a few sections that feel more rural as you get up into and past the Huntington area up to the northwest corner. Huntington has a decent amount of larger new single family homes.

If you're worried about being bored, however, I'm not sure how Shelton will play out for you. The southern part of Stratford, if you mean Lordship is pretty nice - and would be near more things to do, shopping, restaurants, etc. than Shelton. Shelton, however, like Milford - is a decently quick drive to New Haven.
Well, I'm not yet savvy with the directions in the city. If you told me I don't want to live in the North East of Pasadena, CA or to stay away from the National to MLK blvd in LA, I'd agree with you. But I've yet to figure out all/any of CT. Having already made 2 trips to see places so far, I am getting a better feel for the place, but it's still a bit worrisome when I keep getting lost in downton Milford. lol But thank you for being so patient with me!

I can tell you that when I look at this one place in Shelton, it says it's on the 110 - does that mean anything?? The 110 is a route (but we still think of it as a freeway) in Southern CA that runs through LA and ends in Pasadena. Is this also a route in Shelton? And is this a good/bad area to live?

I know a few posts back I said I didn't want to live in the sticks, but Ridgefield is starting to look nice to me. I saw a really cute place there near downton today (online) but my agent said it just accepted an offer. DARN IT.

Also, I'd asked about Naugatuck Avenue in Milford before and I think someone mentioned that I'd want to stay away from it. But there's a potential place there, too...near the 400 block. Any thoughts on that?

The worry I have with the floor vents central a/c is that, though the place was built in the 1980s, the grills look old-fashioned, like as if the place was actually built in the 1880s. And I'm just worried that the electric bill will be ridiculous during the summer, though I'm not sure how hot summers get there - I imagine not that different to Northern VA/DC area, maybe with less humidity...which means high electric bills.

As for general boredom, I'm very happy to have my cute little car because I have no issues driving all over the place to visit and explore. I'm also a bit of an amateur photographer and CT so far has offered some really great photos during my last 2 photos - which some people even offered to buy! (I said no) So I'll just have to make do with what I can find to entertain myself until I meet people, or find places I can hang out, or just...I don't know...hibernate until winter is over.

I will say that I've now had 2 Italian meals in Milford and omg, DELICIOUS. It makes me very excited to live in a potential place with great food, because I like my food - and I'm not much a of a cook at all. So there's a plus. Now all I need is a place to live...

Come on, CT...work with me.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:53 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,155,401 times
Quote:
My agent went to see the place in SE Stratford, to save me a 5-hour drive again for nothing. He said the place was really nice but the area is "sketchy". I know what that means in LA, but from some of what I'd seen in parts of Startford, I wouldn't like living near sketchy areas. What THE border mean?
The border to Bridgeport. That side of Bridgeport is Compton, Crenshaw, etc.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
The border to Bridgeport. That side of Bridgeport is Compton, Crenshaw, etc.
Those very same names are also ones to avoid in CA. How odd.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:24 PM

34,694 posts, read 56,487,992 times
That is what the poster is trying to tell you. That is not the name of the areas. Just avoid it. Jay

Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is what the poster is trying to tell you. That is not the name of the areas. Just avoid it. Jay
Oh, so those are not actual places in CT...but similar to those areas in CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut