Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:19 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal8 View Post
The only liveable place in the state is Stamford and 10 miles around it. The rest is really a big dump - no infrastructure, poor roads, horrible poverty, crime. The taxes are one of the highest in the nation, and you really get nothing in return.
If you want cooler temperatures you need to go further north to MA, or west coast.
"Progressive politics" - forget about it, it's good old US everywhere, the corporations are in real control here. Who cares who wins elections, Obama or Nobama the result will be always same - your taxes will be spend on wars and military presence around the world, on overturning foreign governments and similar ****, and the corporations will still pay no tax, and you still be paying them in full.
Are you KIDDING me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 10:03 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
The only liveable place in the state is Stamford and 10 miles around it. The rest is really a big dump - no infrastructure, poor roads, horrible poverty, crime. The taxes are one of the highest in the nation, and you really get nothing in return.
If you want cooler temperatures you need to go further north to MA, or west coast.
"Progressive politics" - forget about it, it's good old US everywhere, the corporations are in real control here. Who cares who wins elections, Obama or Nobama the result will be always same - your taxes will be spend on wars and military presence around the world, on overturning foreign governments and similar ****, and the corporations will still pay no tax, and you still be paying them in full.
You obviously know NOTHING about Connecticut. Hartford and New Haven are great cities to live in or near and there are MANY beautiful areas all over the state. This is clearly nothing but BS. Jay

Old 11-09-2014, 05:18 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,386,547 times
Hey OP if it makes you feel any better I'm down in your neck of the woods here in Va. And have thought about Connecticut as well. I went to school for mechanics and refrigeration and my family also owned an electric company so I had worked in that field as well. I actually have a few different tech skills I could employ if need be.

At this point I'm only an outsider looking in but I find affordable homes in connecticut all the time I think you just got to know where to look. In the northeast anything close to the big cities you pay dearly but if you're in a field like I am you really need to be be near or work in one of those cities. Tech skills can be deployed just about anywhere, just like being a Registered Nurse you could work just about anywhere your heart desires.

As far as the progressive politics I'm more non progressive which means I probably won't have too many new friends in Connecticut, lol. I'm pro Military, Pro America, and Pro Gun.

It's kind of funny cause the young progressive Millenials refer to NYC as a legacy city and all these fancy new terms, when I was growing up NYC was simply the Big Apple.

My reasoning for wanting to make a possible move greatly differ from yours but I'm going up in 2015 for a recon mission and then I'll be able to know for myself. I think Connecticut could use s little NC and VA class, give it a dash of southern flair.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:32 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? Have you ventured outside of Stamford? The Hartford region continues to be one of the highest standards of living in the world. Poverty is not the norm. It is highly concentrated in our cities. This is a problem nationwide which needs to be addressed and is more pronounced in Connecticut but it is not a statement of the typical CT resident.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:04 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But now that he has been re-elected, I am crossing my fingers that he raises taxes yet again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Just FTR, the poster above does not represent the mindset of most of us in CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Wrong. 51% of CT voters chose Malloy.

What does that have to do with your personal statement above?

Check your reading comprehension.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:40 AM

146 posts, read 189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You obviously know NOTHING about Connecticut. Hartford and New Haven are great cities to live in or near and there are MANY beautiful areas all over the state. This is clearly nothing but BS. Jay
I am happy that you know everything about everything seems like (as most new Englanders ). Learn to respect somebody's opinion for a start.

I happen to live near New Haven right now, not for long I hope.

Last edited by JayCT; 11-09-2014 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: Removed attack

Old 11-09-2014, 06:44 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Quote:
I am happy that you know everything about everything seems like (as most new Englanders ). Learn to respect somebody's opinion for a start.

I happen to live near New Haven right now, not for long I hope, what a **** hole.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/37178668-post24.html

Old 11-09-2014, 06:46 AM

146 posts, read 189,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The Hartford region continues to be one of the highest standards of living in the world.
What?? How did you measure that? OMG. Seems like government propaganda of US being above, superior, richer etc. etc. the rest of the world is working well on you.
Have you "ventured" anywhere beyond North America?

Old 11-09-2014, 07:04 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
Hey OP if it makes you feel any better I'm down in your neck of the woods here in Va. And have thought about Connecticut as well. I went to school for mechanics and refrigeration and my family also owned an electric company so I had worked in that field as well. I actually have a few different tech skills I could employ if need be.

At this point I'm only an outsider looking in but I find affordable homes in connecticut all the time I think you just got to know where to look. In the northeast anything close to the big cities you pay dearly but if you're in a field like I am you really need to be be near or work in one of those cities. Tech skills can be deployed just about anywhere, just like being a Registered Nurse you could work just about anywhere your heart desires.

As far as the progressive politics I'm more non progressive which means I probably won't have too many new friends in Connecticut, lol. I'm pro Military, Pro America, and Pro Gun.

It's kind of funny cause the young progressive Millenials refer to NYC as a legacy city and all these fancy new terms, when I was growing up NYC was simply the Big Apple.

My reasoning for wanting to make a possible move greatly differ from yours but I'm going up in 2015 for a recon mission and then I'll be able to know for myself. I think Connecticut could use s little NC and VA class, give it a dash of southern flair.
I think you'd be surprised at how many pro military and pro gun types there are in CT. Heck, some of the biggest corporations in CT have the military as their major buyer - Sikorsky and Pratt & Whitney and the dozens of small to mid-sized manufacturers that supply them.

And, I know you were looking at Torrington before - I did see an article in the past few weeks about some big manufacturing facility being opened there that is going to create 300+ jobs. Should be a nice assist for the local economy.

FuelCell Energy to expand Torrington manufacturing plant, add more than 300 jobs

Old 11-09-2014, 07:09 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Quote:

I happen to live near New Haven right now, not for long I hope, what a **** hole.
If it's a legitimate opinion, it will be respected. There are many respectable debates on the forum here about quality of life vs cost of living in CT where both sides remain relatively respectful.

Just throwing out an attack that flies in the face of things like facts and evidence doesn't qualify as a legitimate opinion, like somebody throwing out the we should bring back slavery and then getting upset when nobody agrees with them and everybody calls them an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut