Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: CT Residents: Do You Support Malloy's Gun Laws?
Yes 23 48.94%
No 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:57 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times

Advertisements

Malloy is a hypocrite of the worst kind. Surrounded by men with high caliber, large capacity weapons. How many legal, law abiding folks commit weapons crimes every year? Not many, but you gun control proponents will never stop until the only people who have guns are the criminals and the police. Great combination.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:47 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
The problem with the new gun laws is they are largely unenforceable. Because of that, no, I do not agree with them. Why have a law on the books that cannot be enforced?

Old 11-09-2014, 05:30 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
The gun culture in the United States is so bizarre to me. I don't understand why people care so damn much about guns.
And I think the culture of people sitting on their arse watching 12 hours of other peoples scripted lives on "reality" TV shows bizarre. Or people who spend every waking moment of their life "checking in" on facebook and being more concerned about everyone elses life but their own. That's "bizarre".

My interest in guns is no different than someone elses interest in golf or cars or boats. I'd say "i'm sorry my hobby scares you" but I would be lying.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Malloy is a hypocrite of the worst kind. Surrounded by men with high caliber, large capacity weapons. How many legal, law abiding folks commit weapons crimes every year? Not many, but you gun control proponents will never stop until the only people who have guns are the criminals and the police. Great combination.
Exactly. It's so pathetic. The people who write gun laws do so from behind a bullet proof limousine. And/or protected by police details 24/7. I could care less if some politician I never met gets killed. My family, however, means everything to me. If they make it illegal for politicians to have protection, I will give up my guns.

In long island NY, you can only get a license to carry if you are connected politically, or if you carry more than 5k in cash a week. lol. Think about that. Think about where those liberal d-bags values are...If you have 5 KIDS and a wife, you cannot carry, but if you have 5000 pieces of green paper, you can. Makes a lot of sense to me. I guess money is more important than life.

Old 11-09-2014, 05:44 PM

i think the idea is that its a knee jerk wasrte of time to solve NOTHING. The new laws would not have stopped adam lanza and they sure as hell wouldn't stop anyone else as deranged as him. The reason it's a "useless knee-jerk" is because not a single other person has been murdered with an assault weapon in CT in the 5 years on record prior to Sandy Hook. All that time and effort to "stop" something that the laws themselves could never have stopped and a problem that doesn't exist.

I posted all these crime stats direct from the CT state police PDF on a different thread, I'm not going to do it all again, but it's around somewhere. The point is, most murders involving a weapon are illegal small caliber handguns, namely 22lr and 9mm.

Most scary black rifles cost well over a thousand dollars. Not exactly a "throw away" gun for the criminal class.

Last edited by Sigequinox; 11-09-2014 at 05:56 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 07:45 PM

131 posts, read 139,280 times
Sigequinox:And I think the culture of people sitting on their arse watching 12 hours of other peoples scripted lives on "reality" TV shows bizarre. Or people who spend every waking moment of their life "checking in" on facebook and being more concerned about everyone elses life but their own. That's "bizarre".

My interest in guns is no different than someone elses interest in golf or cars or boats. I'd say "i'm sorry my hobby scares you" but I would be lying.

Wow, nailed that one. I feel the same way. My mom was raised on a farm in MA. and my grandfather taught her and her sis to shoot at age 5. At age 15 she was shooting competitively. When my family moved to CT she shot in a league with CT state police and mostly kicked their butts. I learned to shoot from my grand dad at age 5 also. My brother and I taught his sons to shoot....yep....at age 5. He figured he'd rather have them learn firearm safety first hand. Our family thinks about shooting (even the big scarey black guns) as a sport. Firearms in our family are respected, not feared. I take full responsibility for their protection of my family as LEO's (by LAW) are NOT obligated to protect anyone. I wish more people would grow up.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:53 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,084,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I just read about a guy who embezzled $100,000.

For me to earn money, I have to wake up, get dressed, go to work, and accomplish a number of tasks-- sometimes six days a week. I often work long hours. In fact, I am writing this o a Sunday morning in my home office before starting work. I have to jump through hoops because I respect the law. The embezzlement laws have not been proactive in preventing crime.
You're not prohibited from owning an "assault computer" on the theory that possessing it might make you more likely to embezzle.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:30 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
You're not prohibited from owning an "assault computer" on the theory that possessing it might make you more likely to embezzle.
A computer has other uses besides killing many people in a short period of time. I'm not sure a weapon with a 20 round magazine does.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:57 AM

361 posts, read 385,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
A computer has other uses besides killing many people in a short period of time. I'm not sure a weapon with a 20 round magazine does.
Of course only in the abstract does your argument make sense.

We live on a quiet, dark road in the northeast corner of the state. When you are bored one day call the state police and ask them how many troopers are patrolling that area at night. I believe state trooper manning levels are now mandated because of a murder in Chaplin involving a wife beat to death by her husband, the response time was over 20 minutes.

A few weeks ago my young son woke me up in a terror saying people were shooting outside of our house. Sure enough there was a commotion and to be honest I was SCARED. I turned on the outside lights and it was a bunch of drunks beating my mailbox to pieces with what appeared to be pipe. They jumped into their trucks and were gone.

The point is if they had not left and chose to invade my house I would have wanted a weapon with approximately 1,000 rounds.

I understand that Gov. Molloy had to do something after the horror of Newtown, but being able to protect yourself is really a different issue. I would have thought that Molloy would have been more understanding of this as I believe his son was involved in a home invasion .............. not as a victim but as a participant.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM

468 posts, read 523,518 times
I support the laws. I registered my AR-15 and magazines.

Like Armyvet1, Sandy Hook changed my mind about gun ownership. I think that we need to think long and hard about how to balance our rights to own firearms for recreation and self-defense with the best interests of society at large.

The intent of the "assault" weapons law is clear: to reduce the number of magazine-fed semi-automatic rifles in the state over time. People say that the law would not have stopped Adam Lanza, but I disagree. If his mother hadn't owned an AR-15, he wouldn't have had access to one. Could he have used some other type of weapon? Maybe. But it is clear that the AR-15 widely used in spree-shootings, because it is particularly well-suited for the purpose. That's a fact.

I do not believe that individuals need AR-15s or the like to defend themselves from any realistic threat. Quittimect, mailbox maulings are a fact of rural life; you were in no danger.

I'll take it further- I do not believe that the Founders intended the citizenry to have the ability to rise up and throw off a repressive government in mind when they wrote the second amendment. If they did, it was pretty darned hypocritical of Ol' George Washington to put down not one but two rebellions against Federal over-reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut