Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which CT city is the "worst"?
Hartford 10 17.54%
New Haven 4 7.02%
Bridgeport 35 61.40%
Waterbury 8 14.04%
New London 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 08:47 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Some parts of Detroit are worse than third world countries I kid you not, its sad and unacceptable in the United States of America.
I don't doubt that for a second. It's heartbreaking to see the once-proud city reduced to de-populated, abandoned ruins like this. We could bat the ball back and forth over how this happened and why, but one things's for sure which is that Detroit's blight is unsurpassed. Every now and then the news will show clips of what used to be stable, middle-class neighborhoods (like Brightmoor), where entire blocks of single-family homes sit empty, covered by clapboard, charred by arson fires, and obstructed by chain-link fences. When I see this, I think to myself "this is America?"

Every city has at least one neighborhood that's blighted, or at the very worst undesireable, and CT is no exception.

You're right about Waterbury. It's nowhere nearly as crime-ridden as other CT cities. As high as the crime rates are in Hartford and New Haven, at least they have some nightlife. Waterbury does have Palace Theater, but it's not really a place people equate with nightlife or culture. At least I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I don't doubt that for a second. It's heartbreaking to see the once-proud city reduced to de-populated, abandoned ruins like this. We could bat the ball back and forth over how this happened and why, but one things's for sure which is that Detroit's blight is unsurpassed. Every now and then the news will show clips of what used to be stable, middle-class neighborhoods (like Brightmoor), where entire blocks of single-family homes sit empty, covered by clapboard, charred by arson fires, and obstructed by chain-link fences. When I see this, I think to myself "this is America?"

Every city has at least one neighborhood that's blighted, or at the very worst undesireable, and CT is no exception.

You're right about Waterbury. It's nowhere nearly as crime-ridden as other CT cities. As high as the crime rates are in Hartford and New Haven, at least they have some nightlife. Waterbury does have Palace Theater, but it's not really a place people equate with nightlife or culture. At least I don't.
I didn't think Waterbury was that bad. CT does have a huge contrast between the super rich like towns in Fairfield County and the inner cities of Hartford and Bridgeport but for the most part CT is one of the richest if not the richest state in the country. CT is a super nice state to raise a family in, the cost of living is very high and tax burden on the super rich is crazy but its still a great state to call home.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledpainter View Post
You'd easily pay 13-14K a year taxes to live in a craptastical house in the North End of BGPT.
That would be an extreme rarity. The average "craptastical" house in North Bridgeport is 6-8K per year. Black Rock would be where you would see some real eye-popper tax bills.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:21 PM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
The tax burden on the rich isn't as high it should be, imo!

JayCT, I agree with nep about the "skyline" of BPT looking ugly on I-95. I can't count the amount of abandoned, defaced, partially cracked buildings I see. I swear, the architect in BPT looks like a perfect setup for Chernobyl, lol! And I feel terrible saying that about my own state! x_x

Waterbury has the highest mill rate in the state. Sitting at like, 55 or so. Ridiculous. I don't even know what justifies it.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:44 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Really?

So let me give you a hypothetical scenario here. Let's pretend you have a wife and 2 school aged kids and you are forced to choose between Meriden and Hartford. You can live in the "best" neighborhood, but you still must send your kids to the public schools. You would take Hartford? Or Bridgeport? Or New Haven?
In regards to schools IMO cities like Waterbury, New Britain, and Meriden would be better choices if you had no choice and if you are NOT a minority (i.e. you are white) These cities still have significant white middle class neighborhoods. Hartford doesn't have any significant areas like that and the white people who are there can afford to send their kids to private schools (especially for high school). I'm not sure if it's the same in Bridgeport or New Haven so I can't comment on those.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:19 AM

526 posts, read 1,002,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Now they've graduated to making it known they are not part of the valley. It drives me nuts when people who live in Shelton (and Oxford) refuse to associate themselves with Ansonia/Derby/Seymour/Naugatuck. They look at you with a gasp if you tell them they live in the valley. Just a side note.
Or maybe they had never even heard of "the Valley" before they moved to Oxford or Shelton and have no idea what that means.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:25 PM

642 posts, read 858,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post

Waterbury has the highest mill rate in the state. Sitting at like, 55 or so. Ridiculous. I don't even know what justifies it.
Nothing justifies a mill rate of 55. A relative of mine who has been in municipal government for about 30 years told me a very high mill rate means one of 3 things:

1) terrible management of the town/city
2) corruption
3) terrible management and corruption

I am thinking with a mill rate of 55 it must be reason #3

Old 11-12-2014, 12:30 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post
Nothing justifies a mill rate of 55. A relative of mine who has been in municipal government for about 30 years told me a very high mill rate means one of 3 things:

2) corruption

Considering its Waterbury, that's a pretty safe assumption.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:32 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist&musician View Post

2) corruption

Hartford, New Britain, Bridgeport, New Haven, East Hartford, New Haven is high also.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:34 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Mill rate is only one aspect of property taxes the other is assessed value. You can have a mill rate drop, but the assessed value on your property rise and your tax will be the same or even higher. This is a very common scenario in CT.

I think Hartford's mill rate is over 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut