Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which CT city is the "worst"?
Hartford 10 17.54%
New Haven 4 7.02%
Bridgeport 35 61.40%
Waterbury 8 14.04%
New London 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:44 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times

Advertisements

Simple question.

Which CT city do you feel is the biggest embarrassment to our state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 09:55 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Bridgeport. It's in a great location and just can't seem to get any momentum, and has been plagued with corruption and poverty for decades. It's probably got the most post-industrial blight and brownfields in the state as well. That decay is very visible from 95, worsening its image. Yes, there's some good things about Bridgeport, but it doesn't outweigh the bad. Sadly, I was there downtown a few weekends ago and it was pretty dead. At least Hartford is making some progress downtown with some new restaurants and theaters. New Haven is absolutely vibrant in comparison (and has more interesting architecture and bones). Even the bad parts in Bridgeport seem more blighted than the bad parts of New Haven for some reason.

Hartford has a great skyline and some other assets going for it, despite its issues.

Waterbury is blah, but crime isn't too bad.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:58 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Bridgeport. It's in a great location and just can't seem to get any momentum, and has been plagued with corruption and poverty for decades. It's probably got the most post-industrial blight and brownfields in the state as well. That decay is very visible from 95, worsening its image. Yes, there's some good things about Bridgeport, but it doesn't outweigh the bad. Sadly, I was there downtown a few weekends ago and it was pretty dead. At least Hartford is making some progress downtown with some new restaurants and theaters. New Haven is absolutely vibrant in comparison (and has more interesting architecture and bones). Even the bad parts in Bridgeport seem more blighted than the bad parts of New Haven for some reason.

Hartford has a great skyline and some other assets going for it, despite its issues.

Waterbury is blah, but crime isn't too bad.

Bridgeport won't any got better soon it getting expensive in parts NYC, Yonkers, Stamford, Norwalk so they shipping the poor there It need a better downtown.

Waterbury need better transportation and more jobs

Hartford too many poor and corruption but a nice skyline

Last edited by BPt111; 11-10-2014 at 10:22 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 10:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Bridgeport is the worst. There's really nothing redeeming about it. Crappy skyline and looks awful from I-95 and Route 8. The city neighborhoods are nothing special.

Hartford at least has a NICE skyline, beautiful riverfront and a metro-centric impact. Nicer aesthetics overall.

Waterbury has some nice topography.

New Haven has the college scene, nightlife and progressive vibe.

New London has a small city charm to it, even though it's blighted also.

Man, most of the cities in this state are in SHAMBLES. It's a serious embarrassment to the rest of the nation. It's the result of too much NIMBY mentality, racism and extreme income inequality. There you go.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:30 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Bridgeport is the worst. There's really nothing redeeming about it. Crappy skyline and looks awful from I-95 and Route 8. The city neighborhoods are nothing special.

Hartford at least has a NICE skyline, beautiful riverfront and a metro-centric impact. Nicer aesthetics overall.

Waterbury has some nice topography.

New Haven has the college scene, nightlife and progressive vibe.

New London has a small city charm to it, even though it's blighted also.

Man, most of the cities in this state are in SHAMBLES. It's a serious embarrassment to the rest of the nation. It's the result of too much NIMBY mentality, racism and extreme income inequality. There you go.

Brass Pro Shop is coming to Bport if it is actually built there been several delays but it won't help much. Black Rock is desent nothing special and North End near Trumbull and Fairfield Line is alright but property values are going down the drain I notice alot of homes are in forclosure or up for sale Property Taxes are high.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:35 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times

'Nuff said. Lol

Old 11-11-2014, 12:20 AM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
Bridgeport followed by Waterbury. Waterbury is in such a prime location, but, some parts of it are absolutely bad. x_x

Old 11-11-2014, 04:00 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Waterbury. Bridgeport at least has some promise due to its proximity to NYC. Waterbury could disappear of the map tomorrow and I'm not sure the rest of the state would notice. And it produces more than its fair share of corrupt politicians.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:15 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I do a lot of traveling in CT and I have to say Bridgeport is the most embarrassment for the state. Also Feels like its in the wrong spot on the map to be horrible as it is.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:19 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Interesting vote tally so far. I expected Hartford and Bridgeport to be a dead heat. However, i did not expect Waterbury to have more votes than New Haven.

While it is a much smaller city than the other 4, i threw New London in there because i've always been perplexed by their inability to control crime. Their crime rate is typically significantly worse than Waterbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut