Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 07:23 AM

13,992 posts, read 13,780,358 times

Advertisements

Are u shock about this ?

Opening on Thanksgiving to get an early start on the holiday is a controversial practice, and one that is banned in Massachusetts, thanks to it state blue laws but why in liberal CT ?

MILFORD, Conn. (WTNH)– Folks are furious after a Westfield Connecticut Post Mall memo surfaced on Facebook telling retailers it’s mandatory they open up Thanksgiving night.
The memo is from General Manager Dan Kiley.

“In support of our retailers and customers who are eager to get a jump on Black Friday shopping, Connecticut Post will open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving and will remain open through 10 p.m. on Black Friday,” said the memo. “Opening at 6 p.m. is mandatory.”
It even asked employees not to comment about the hours on social media sites.

Neighbors we spoke to disagree with the mall forcing stores to open up on the holiday.
“I just think that’s a little far fetched,” said Anthony Rodriguez. “I don’t agree with it.”
“I don’t think it’s fair to the people who are working there,” said Nancy Kubik. “Let them enjoy with their families too.”
Late Friday afternoon, Westfield District Marketing Director Paul Sabina issued a statement on the matter.

“Westfield encourages our retailers to open during mall hours to meet the growing demand of customers,” said Sabina in the statement. “We understand there can be exceptions and would encourage those retailers to contact us individually.”
Many people we spoke to were unhappy about the idea of folks shopping on Thanksgiving.
“I don’t think it’s necessary,” said Jan Baumgart. “It’s a family day.”
“It should be spent enjoying time with the people that you don’t know how much time you have with,” said Rodriguez.
One man said he liked the idea of the mall opening on the holiday.
“If they want to buy on Thanksgiving day, that’s good,” said Juan Hernandez.
Westfield District Marketing Director, Paul Sabina’s full statement:

“Given the enthusiasm that consumers and retailers have for earlier holiday openings over the past several seasons, Westfield welcomes the opportunity to accommodate this demand from retailers and customers who are eager to get a jump on Black Friday shopping.
“As it relates to the internal memo circulating on social media, the memo is part of our ongoing and regular forms of communication with our retailers. We work closely with our retailer partners to provide timely and relevant updates to support their business.
“Westfield encourages our retailers to open during mall hours to meet the growing demand of customers who look forward to starting their Black Friday shopping experience earlier. We understand there can be exceptions and would encourage those retailers to contact us individually.
“We appreciate the various points of view on how families choose to celebrate Thanksgiving and other holiday traditions, and our opening hours are there to support the growing enthusiasm from customers and families who appreciate the extended holiday shopping and see it as an enjoyable end to their day with family and friends.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 07:45 AM

3,346 posts, read 4,137,601 times
I predict he will no longer be the general manager by cob Monday. While I don't agree with opening on Thanksgiving, it is an individual decision. That saod i am appalled that a mall would require you open on Thanksgiving. up to the storeits appalling to require this. You also aren't going to attract big spenders on the holiday.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:47 AM

4,714 posts, read 5,926,947 times
I think it's terrible that they make it mandatory that stores open on a holiday. And, "contact us individually" means that they'll lean on the individual stores to make sure they're open as well.

Voluntary opening is fine, but I think it sucks to make it mandatory.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:20 AM

34,714 posts, read 56,524,406 times
This does not surprise me. Nor would it surprise me if this mandate did not come directly from Westfield's corporate office. They are kind of known for being greedy and unfriendly. Jay

Old 11-15-2014, 08:30 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,899,936 times
What a disgrace. No non-essential business should be forced to open on a major holiday like Thanksgiving.

I don't even know who would want to shop on a day like that. I'd rather eat glass than shop on Thanksgiving. The same goes for Black Friday. Miserable.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:02 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,354,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I think it's terrible that they make it mandatory that stores open on a holiday. And, "contact us individually" means that they'll lean on the individual stores to make sure they're open as well.

Voluntary opening is fine, but I think it sucks to make it mandatory.

It's not mandatory. Don't work in retail.

Most people have nothing to do after eating on Thanksgiving. Why not go out and start shopping?
Hell, the movie theaters have been open that day forever. Where's the outrage?

Old 11-15-2014, 10:29 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,379,607 times
I threw a fit when I found out Macy's did it. Macy's had like a 100 year tradition of never opening on Thanksgiving, until last year. I can't believe a company with that much tradition sold out and they're the ones who promote holiday spirit with the parade.

I've never been against Black Friday shopping on Friday, not Thanksgiving Thursday.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:03 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,188,327 times
I am disgusted how retail has morphed into what it is. The work/life balance has been destroyed by retail. When I was a kid, nothing was open on thanksgiving and a ton of businesses were closed friday........now we have black friday which is by far one of the stupidest ideas ever thought of. Money is not everything.......

Old 11-15-2014, 12:25 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,354,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I am disgusted how retail has morphed into what it is. The work/life balance has been destroyed by retail. When I was a kid, nothing was open on thanksgiving and a ton of businesses were closed friday........now we have black friday which is by far one of the stupidest ideas ever thought of. Money is not everything.......
Only reason I don't like it is because there are better deals on other days. People just go crazy for it. Doesn't make sense. Media hype, maybe. Every year you hear horror stories.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,607,003 times
Good luck with that. I have no problem opening on Thanksgiving, but believe employees should have their schedules worked around on that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut