Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 01:18 PM

271 posts, read 1,274,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
In CT?

Well, Section 8 housing that covers around 75% of the monthly rent is a start.
Who is eligible for section 8 in Connecticut?

Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined based on the household's annual gross income and the PHA's definition of a family. Participation is limited to U.S. citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status.

DSS: Housing Assistance - Section 8

Old 01-09-2008, 01:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,934,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason180 View Post
Who is eligible for section 8 in Connecticut?

Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined based on the household's annual gross income and the PHA's definition of a family. Participation is limited to U.S. citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status.

DSS: Housing Assistance - Section 8
I know how section 8 works...My brother down the street rents his lower apartment to a person getting it. (Nothing like having $793 of your $1000 rent and your oil tank filled all paid by the state while you are "barely scraping by" with your brand new Honda Passport in the drive, cell phone with internet, HD cable with DVR, high speed internet etc etc! )

You're not really getting it are you? Illegals are comitting FRAUD all the time with fake SSNs and IDs...that's half the problem! Hello!

The state heating assistance program is in fact having a problem with people using fake SSNs right now! Guess what, they are still getting heating oil as the department is self admittedly too bogged down to tackle the problem.

(In a sanctuary city like New Haven they can even be "open" about their status, get city benefits and a government sponsored ID!)

Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM

4,462 posts, read 7,974,118 times
Just a note to clarify some issues

I coordinated the state heating program in a local town from 1981-1990; I was also coordinator for the local fuel bank- the amount of fraud was around 5-7%. I hate to admit this, but I delighted in catching the few who tried to delude me regarding their financial situation.

I worked in the town 'welfare office' and also worked with the local housing authority, the amount of welfare queens driving around in Cadillacs and other expensive vehicles was very small.

Those on 'section 8' had to verify their incomes- again fraud was a very low percentage of all applicants. If something suspicious was found by the Town Housing authority through the section 8 program- those tenants would be prosecuted by law- the same holds true for GA Welfare clients (now a defunct program).

Lets try and not submit popular stereotypes by conservatives regarding low income programs for poor people. Yes there is some fraud- and there are some dishonest people trying to fleece the system- which I have no tolerance for. But fraud in Connecticut is quiet low.

Lastly, illegals should not be allowed to apply for these programs- that is my opinion. Helping children is one thing- we cannot be cold hearted- but the adults should be dealt with under local, state and federal laws.

Last edited by skytrekker; 01-09-2008 at 02:22 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 02:59 PM

Sky, with all due respect...a lot has changed since 1990. A lot. I do agree that not all are living the life of Riley and there are cases where legit help is needed for sure.

And just for the record, what I wrote above is real first hand information. I know because it's my brothers "step daughter" (He remarried at a late age) who is living the life I described. No making anything up. I see the checks first hand and am in her house all the time and know how she lives. At the risk of harming peace in his marriage, he doesn't say anything to her even though it drive him nuts.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Jay

'allot has changed since 1990'-if so have laws regarding fraud suddenly vanished? We are told that perhaps by certain media networks- who have a low rate of integrity themselves. Connecticut has a LOW fraud rate for public assistance programs- for legal residents.

As for 'living the life of Riley' I heard that 20 years ago and it is unsubstantiated now as it was then

As for those not legal, the state should be doing the appropriate job in screening applicants.

I have worked in these programs, have you?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Jay

'allot has changed since 1990'-if so have laws regarding fraud suddenly vanished? We are told that perhaps by certain media networks- who have a low rate of integrity themselves. Connecticut has a LOW fraud rate for public assistance programs- for legal residents.

As for 'living the life of Riley' I heard that 20 years ago and it is unsubstantiated now as it was then

As for those not legal, the state should be doing the appropriate job in screening applicants.

I have worked in these programs, have you?
I think you are misunderstanding me. I said I know all ARE NOT living the life of Riley by any means.

What has changed is our state demographics, leadership, and those who work in said programs since 1990 so what was then may not be now. That's my only point and I don't mean to try and discredit your knowledge or work you have done.

Believe me, I'm not ignorant either. My mother currently works for CRT and my Mother IL is recently retired as a "head" in the state social services department. You might even recognize her name.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM

The conservative revolution of the 1980s and 1990s basically ended welfare in Connecticut.
Both GA and AFDC ended in Connecticut in 1996- Bill Clinton- basically in Reagan's '4th term' ended welfare.

Section 8 and the Federal to state program remain- I am sure under the current conservative philosophy nationally- even here in liberal Connecticut fraud is not tolerated as much 15-20 years ago. I would hardly think that these programs are as liberal and expansive as they where in the 1960s.

Demographics alone would not necessarily change the amount of fraud in these programs- by legal residents. Statistics and sociological hypothesis do not support this. People of Latino background have seen the largest increase percentage wise since 1990-however it might prove incorrect to say this ethnic group would bring about profound changes in social programs.

As I alluded to above illegal residents should be rejected from the vast majority of these programs.

Last edited by skytrekker; 01-09-2008 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-09-2008, 04:46 PM

77 posts, read 324,627 times
Yeah im no expert but I don't think mass amounts of illegals are accessing assistance programs with basement pressed ID cards and fake numbers.

Me and my friend are in the process of moving into an apartment in Hartford together. We plan to apply for every available assistance program, considering we are young college students with a small household income and a hefty private school tuition (University of Hartford). We are both lifelong residents of the area however, and we know that even WITH 100% legit documentation, it will be a long process securing these benefits.

They don't exactly fall from the sky into the laps of whoever wants them.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
People of Latino background have seen the largest increase percentage wise since 1990-however it might prove incorrect to say this ethnic group would bring about profound changes in social programs.
Based on what I have seen and know of in the system, we disagree. (Surprised? )

Taking "conservative" or "liberal" out of the conversation I would beg to differ about the demographics...as do many of my Puerto Rican friends and the 99% "Latinos" of the staff at CRT. (No really, my mother and one other person are the only caucasians on staff.)

The National Center For Children in Poverty ( NCCP | Home) states that 6% of "white" children are classified as living in poor families vs 41% for Latino's. in 2006. The federal poverty level is $20,650 for a family of four.

When talking "low income" (Children living in families with incomes below this level—$41,300 for a family of four in 2007—are referred to as low income.) the stats are
14% of white children live in low-income families.

44% of black children live in low-income families.

60% of Latino children live in low-income families

So based on that we can extrapolate that if they are making up for of our society than before, it will indeed affect the social system.

It's not about being "racist" I'm simply stating the facts.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiZZ View Post
Me and my friend are in the process of moving into an apartment in Hartford together. We plan to apply for every available assistance program, considering we are young college students with a small household income and a hefty private school tuition
I just spent the day going through my books and talking to my accountant for the tax season...All I can say after that wake up call is "glad to help"...

When will this entitlement mentality stop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut