Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:18 AM

3,432 posts, read 3,907,080 times

Advertisements

IME wet basements seem to be more prevalent on level lots than on lots with a slope. We have a dry basement that is partially finished, and I run a dehumidifier year round. I don't like humidity and since the central a/c doesn't reach the basement, I use the dehumidifier. One thing I do not like about our finished basement are the hardwood floors. The seem out of place and not the greatest choice for a humid area. If and when we ever redo it, I would go with tile or something synthetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 11:31 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,204,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
yes! make sure your inspector REALLY looks out for moisture! When we were getting our house, our inspector said that it probably gets damp in the summer, and we'll need a humidifier. he also said that it was good the house came with a sump pump. We bought our house in the winter. Then spring came and one night all the snow melted; we went downstairs and had to wear rubber boots; the water was so high! we had to open the basement door and let the water leave; apparently the pump was too small for that much water. I am mad that the inspector didn't really tell us how bad it can get. there were no water marks on the wall, nothing; it just smelled funny. to this day i wonder if the inspector wasn't honest with us. i even wonder if there is any way he can be held responsible, but i doubt it.
Did the prior owners disclose basement water issues or past flooding on the disclosure statement? For me, a sump pump is a red flag that there are water issues. They're not cheap to install, and so you usually only do because of problems. We knew our old house was prone to water seepage during heavy rains because the people we bought from indicated this in the disclosure and there also was a sump pump already installed. So when it finally happened to us, we weren't surprised. Re-routing the downspouts worked wonders for us. Maybe this is something you could look into?

Old 11-25-2014, 11:41 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,065,001 times
Much of CT is sort of a swamp with rocks sticking out of it, so wet (or at least damp) basements are more common than not. So even if your basement is normally dry, a big enough rainfall total can change that fact.

If the basement smells funny at all, I would avoid it.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:43 AM

6,462 posts, read 4,862,175 times
I think every basement in New England needs a dehumidifier. Mine doesn't get wet at all, but it smells like a basement if the dehumidifier isn't running. All houses I've been in are like that, but they smell fine with a dehumidifier.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:08 PM

83,304 posts, read 74,586,896 times
Reviving an old thread to say.... Tis the season.

I got 2 Dehumidifiers running in the basement. No way I want rusty tools! (it's happened!)

70 Pints filled up within 3 hours! Insane outside like the amazon and not gonna end yet

Old 08-10-2016, 09:11 PM

6,462 posts, read 4,862,175 times
Cam, pipe it into a drain. Or your washer. I couldn't tolerate having to empty mine that much!

I had to clean my filter today. This is the first dehumidifier I've owned that is so fussy about the filter.

<edit> Yours looks just like my last one!

Old 08-10-2016, 09:17 PM

519 posts, read 579,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Reviving an old thread to say.... Tis the season.

I got 2 Dehumidifiers running in the basement. No way I want rusty tools! (it's happened!)

70 Pints filled up within 3 hours! Insane outside like the amazon and not gonna end yet

Humidifiers I use have built in pumps. Great.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:39 PM

83,304 posts, read 74,586,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
Yup. The other one i have goes right into the drain with the hose. But this one i like to keep in middle of room often so i just manually dump it. Crazy how much moisture is in the air! Near extremes. AC working overtime and its not even hot

Old 08-11-2016, 12:52 PM

34,651 posts, read 56,437,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
My father had one of those. Before that he would put the dehumidifier in a basement sink and let it drip directly down the drain. The basement was not all that damp but still the unit needed to be emptied often enough that it got to be a pain so he just put it on/in the sink. A new unit with a pump changed the need to do that. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut