Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:51 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Your top picks are rural, which the OP doesn't want.

But wait a minute................................ Did you say Plainville? Sounds like a definite possibility for this OP.
I've always felt Plainville was underrated for a small town. It's convenient, safe, affordable and the schools seem to perform about average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 08:52 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Canton isn't much different from Avon these days.. Burlington is pretty affluent too.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Canton isn't much different from Avon these days.. Burlington is pretty affluent too.
You can get a lot for your money in Burlington. It is quite rural though.

And don't let the numbers fool you - there are still many old town regular Joes and Janes in Burlington. Pick up trucks are just as popular as foreign luxury vehicles.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 11-22-2014 at 09:02 AM..

Old 11-22-2014, 08:55 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,924,455 times
The OP does not really say the type of community (urban, suburban, rural) they want or what they expect to get for their budget. This would really help us narrow things down a bit.

With your husband working in Simsbury I would recommend staying in the Farmington River Valley. Commuting over the mountain into the valley, particularly in bad weather can be difficult and there are a couple of lower priced towns you may want to consider there. I personally like Granby a lot. It is a nice small town with a friendly atmosphere and some middle class homes. Two other towns to also consider would be Canton and Burlington. These towns have well performing school systems (generally above the state averages on the Connecticut Mastery and Connecticut Academic Performance Tests. Still homes in these towns in your price range will likely mean they will need some work but still could be acceptable.

If your husband does not mind commuting over the mountain, you may then want to consider. A couple of peopel have suggested Windsor which is a nice town but the schools there do not generally perform as well as other towns in the area. You can check school performance on the link below. South Windsor has good schools and a lot of nice amenities but the commute to Simsbury would be difficult requiring your husband to cross the Connecticut River and travel over Avon or Talcott Mountain. During rush hour, I am not sure this can be done in under 30 minutes.

A couple of other towns you might want to consider are West Hartford, East Granby and Suffield. These town would have some homes in the OP's price range, good schools and be within a reasonable commute of Simsbury. Jay

Old 11-22-2014, 09:06 AM

Forgot to include the link to data on schools here in Connecticut. Jay

State Department of Education - CEDaR

Old 11-22-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Your top picks are rural, which the OP doesn't want.

But wait a minute................................ Did you say Plainville? Sounds like a definite possibility for this OP.
Plainville may be a good option for the OP. It is a nice middle class community and the schools perform fairly well. Jay

Old 11-22-2014, 11:15 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
There are plenty of people in Avon, Simsbury, Farmington and West Hartford that don't have nannies and/or drive Range Rovers and BMWs and take ski vacations in the Alps. I've also found that area to be very welcoming overall because a lot of people that relocate for jobs end up in the Farmingon Valley because of the schools. So, outsiders are often welcomed. I'd also look at Canton and Burlington as well. Also note, Farmington and Avon have lower taxes than Simsbury and West Hartford by a fairly substantial margin, so if you can afford a $225,000 home in Simsbury of West Hartford, you can probably get a $250,000 home in Farmington for basically the same payment.

A few possibilities:
23 Litchfield Dr, Simsbury, CT 06070 is For Sale - Zillow

32 Sylvan St, Avon, CT 06001 is For Sale - Zillow

10 Colony Rd, Canton, CT 06019 is For Sale - Zillow

Old 11-22-2014, 11:16 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Enfield always seemed to me like it's a "middle of the road" type of town. I'm guessing the schools are relatively decent, but i'll defer to others on that.
Enfield schools typically perform below state averages.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
There are plenty of people in Avon, Simsbury, Farmington and West Hartford that don't have nannies and/or drive Range Rovers and BMWs and take ski vacations in the Alps.
Yep. This would be the vast majority of people in those towns. Their reputation for uber wealth, IMO and by the numbers, is way overblown.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:53 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Agree that the rep of uber wealth in the FV towns is pretty overblown, but they are still fairly homogeneous upper middle to upper class towns and people there don't go without. I can absolutely see how they might not be viewed as a good fit for someone who is living a simpler lifestyle. I'd love to be up there since the FV is very convenient to my workplace, but those towns aren't a good fit for my family either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut