Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 07:10 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,397,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You make it sound like 100% of all the challenges that I face are solely my fault 100% of the time. Career change does not come easy, from the position I'm in right now in my career. I have 7 years of experience in something that is very specialized and difficult to make a transfer into something else. Employers want to hire people who have experience directly related to the job posting. I've tried time and again to apply to jobs that are outside of my specialized field, such as general accounting or financial analyst roles, but had no luck whatsoever. Why would someone want to hire someone with 7 years of tax experience for a general accounting or financial analyst role? It doesn't make sense.

The only people that I have seen throughout my adult life that have successfully made career changes were almost always internally, with a company they have already been with for several years. But I've never even held a single job for more than 2.6 years.
You've also limited yourself by not wanting to work more than 40 hours a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:45 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,839,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
You've also limited yourself by not wanting to work more than 40 hours a week.
And your point is what?

Every job I ever had, except for my first job, has been 40 hours a week and I love that.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,214,205 times
Quote:
And your point is what?

Every job I ever had, except for my first job, has been 40 hours a week and I love that.
That's not very much at all. I recall my dad telling me he used to have some people wanting to work 40 hrs and no more... He told them their choices were to work for the gov't, unemployment, or hourly positions on the production lines.

I think the point is that the things you are complaining about are the result of your choices. Choices are fine, but you can't complain about what results from your choices.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:59 PM

34,651 posts, read 56,427,911 times
Quote:
And your point is what?

Which is why you will not get anywhere. Your attitude and work ethic shows why you will not get ahead. There is always an excuse or reason. You really need to come into the real world already. Jay

Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,459,567 times
Quote:
And your point is what?

What's 40-hours?

I bet by the time you get into work I've been up for 5 hours already.

Must be nice.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:06 PM

21,529 posts, read 30,942,079 times
People, can we stop with nep? This thread is not about him. It is about marketa trying to figure out their quality of life in a handful of FFC towns. Maybe we can stick to that for once and stop letting a certain poster derail the thread.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,764,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
People, can we stop with nep? This thread is not about him. It is about marketa trying to figure out their quality of life in a handful of FFC towns. Maybe we can stick to that for once and stop letting a certain poster derail the thread.
I keep trying myself.

But it doesn't seem to be doing any good.

Disappointing.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,896,475 times
nep321"You make it sound like 100% of all the challenges that I face are solely my fault 100% of the time. Career change does not come easy, from the position I'm in right now in my career. I have 7 years of experience in something that is very specialized and difficult to make a transfer into something else."

With more quitting in a career than sock-changing for most people, of course your options are very limited..by your own doing.

Just once, think Long-term. That is the difference between the OP and you. A Short term focus is for McJobs.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:07 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,377,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketa View Post
It's just me and my husband for now. We are hesitant about kids particularly because of the money issue. It doesnt look like 100k takes you very far around here. We are in FFC because of our jobs, which, although I consider not bad, still don't give us enough to feel really relaxed financially. We have a house already, which is among the cheaper ones in our town, but it's not in mint condition, and despite us working really hard and picking up even extra hours, we don't seem to be able to save a lot to the point where we can just spend on other than the minimum requirements. For example, our vacations are in the US only, we do all the work around the yard/house ourselves, and can't afford to hire anyone to do house improvement projects... Either the place where we live is for the bourgeoisie and not for middle class, or we are not middle class, or we are doing something wrong. When my friends from other states hear how much I make, they imagine that we are filthy rich, when in fact, their houses in FL, AZ or WI are much better looking, despite them making 1/3 of what we make. Sometimes I am not even sure that it's worth living in CT.
Are you over reaching? I'm different then most but when I was shopping around in Connecticut I found some nice looking homes at affordable prices but I was looking at the most hick in the sticks place you could possibly think of, I could care less about NYC and I was born and raised an hour north from it, our annual intake is at the lower end as well @105k.

This is just my own opinion and by no means am I picking on you personally but I think sometimes people miss the point of life. From what I got from your post it seemed you sounded a bit disappointed cause you don't have this or that but do you really need it? Materialism doesn't really bring true happiness, it will bring you a lot of things, but I doubt it will bring you happiness.

Also you might think you want a bigger house until you actually get one and realize everything to maintain it costs 3 times as much. Working to be house poor is not living.

Anyways I was just trying to shed some positive light and perhaps offer a different view, I don't take vacations out of the U.S. either, there's too much to see here in our own United States. Once I did get a year vacation in Germany but I didn't pay for it the US Army did.

Last edited by Armyvet1; 11-24-2014 at 09:17 PM..

Old 11-24-2014, 09:19 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,839,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Which is why you will not get anywhere. Your attitude and work ethic shows why you will not get ahead. There is always an excuse or reason. You really need to come into the real world already. Jay
I don't get it though. In a 40 hour week, I get all my work done. No one else really stays in the office for more than 40 hours per week. And heck, the average American works 40 hours a week. There are BLS statistics that prove this fact. What am I supposed to do? Sit in the office for an extra 10 hours a week, getting home late every night and get fat and stressed out? Doesn't sound like a healthy lifestyle to me. Not sure why people in this forum think that it's imperative that someone must work long hours in order to continue advancing in their career, because I just don't see it in all the places I've worked. Virtually everyone leaves the office around 5:00 or earlier even. Getting ahead career wise isn't about working long hours. It's about working efficiently, smartly and developing a good rapport. Duh.

Even if you guys are "right" about the necessity to work long, long hours in order to get ahead, I would rather stay where I am career wise and enjoy my free time that I have. Life is way too short to sit in an office for 10 hours a day. It's bad enough that I already have back problems.

You guys want me to have a long commute and work long hours. So basically, I'd be getting home at like 8:00 pm, have only a few hours at home, then time for bed again at 10:30, in order to wake up early for that long commute in the morning. Sounds like a stressful, awful life, if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut