Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 06:38 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
No on Wilton, it was nice in 1975.
Weston looks interesting, might be too far up though. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 07:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,092 times
Quote:
So New Canaan is too close to NY, didn't I say the closer to the city you go, the greater the price? Check out Ridgefield, Wilton, Redding, Weston, you'll find nice homes with 1- 2 acres in their price range. Once again, I'm not a realtor and have no motivation to steer the OP to those towns, just a genuine interest to offer possibilities to people looking for a family freindly community.
I believe people are suggesting outside of Fairfield county because the OP wants to be within 2.5 hours of NYC, they like "rural," and they have a budget of $600k to purchase the several acres ("at least 2 - 3 acres of land") they desire. They like the Litchfield area but were looking for other suggestions too.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:44 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Someone who needs to be in NY 1-2x/month has no need to pay the premium for mid and lower Fairfield.

These are in Litchfield in the mid-high $500s

179 Old South Rd, Litchfield, CT, Connecticut 06759, Litchfield real estate, Litchfield home for sale
277 Goshen Rd, Litchfield, CT, Connecticut 06759, Litchfield real estate, Litchfield home for sale
75 Blue Swamp Rd, Litchfield, CT, Connecticut 06759, Litchfield real estate, Litchfield home for sale

Old 12-27-2014, 12:22 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:

14 Valley Forge Lane, Weston CT For Sale | Trulia.com

Let me know when you're ready to move.
"This is a great opportunity for the right buyer."

I guess you don't know what that means. It means that the property is a "short-sale". Raider won't be moving there anytime soon, nor will anyone else for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Sold for 1.2M in '06. Now attempting a short-sale.

Any questions?

Old 12-27-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
"This is a great opportunity for the right buyer."

I guess you don't know what that means. It means that the property is a "short-sale". Raider won't be moving there anytime soon, nor will anyone else for that matter.

Sold for 1.2M in '06. Now attempting a short-sale.

Any questions?
Yeah I figured it was too good to be true. And those pictures were probably taken in 06 as well.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:41 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
No on Wilton, it was nice in 1975.
I have to ask what is wrong with Wilton? It is a beautiful town with so much to offer anyone looking for a good place to raise a family. Still I agree it is not recommended for the OP. Jay

Old 12-27-2014, 09:02 AM

8 posts, read 10,940 times
Thank you again, everyone, for such great feedback. You've each opened our eyes to some places that we might not have considered. I'm looking forward to exploring these places in person at some point and getting a feel for them.

hvexpat, those first two houses you linked to in Litchfield are beautiful---those are the kind of places we have in mind. I especially love that first house on Old South road---that's pretty much exactly the kind of house we'd love to buy.

Speaking of which, is Litchfield a good town for us to consider?

Old 12-27-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to ask what is wrong with Wilton? It is a beautiful town with so much to offer anyone looking for a good place to raise a family. Still I agree it is not recommended for the OP. Jay
Oh I was referring to the house for sale in Wilton that the guy posted a link to that appeared to need a lot of work and updating, not the town itself. Yes it's beautiful there.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:55 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Orange, Woodbridge are very convenient and meet your criteria.

Guilford and Madison are a little further from population centers but have a decent shopping selection.

I would also consider Redding and Easton but they are a bit more expensive.

Newtown is a nice option too. Southbury as well.

There are nice towns in Hartford area but a haul to NYC with limited train access (only $$$ Amtrak until they finish the new corridor).

Old 12-27-2014, 06:57 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Litchfield is about as far out as I would live with a schedule routinely requiring me in NYC. I'd spend a little time there to gain an impression. It's a great small town with great schools. IMO the weekender influence is a bit stronger there than it is in some other local communities but not as strong as it is in Roxbury, Washington, and Bridgewater.

There are a bunch of historic and repro historic homes on large lots in Bethlehem. It isn't much of a town itself (bank, a few restaurants, hardware store, small supermarket) but the community is very nice and the schools are in the top third in the state. It shares a school district with Woodbury, which is a great town with good amenities for kids, but limited housing stock - it's likely the only historic homes on the market are on small lots or very close to the road. Both of these towns are very laid back and very agricultural in nature (chickens are common as are other forms of livestock). One concern is that cell service can be spotty, particularly in Bethlehem.

Southbury is a really convenient location and many of the homes, while newer, are not cookie cutter - and are on large lots in nice neighborhoods. Definitely take a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut