Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 AM

15 posts, read 98,149 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I need some help figuring out where to live. I will be working in Enfield, CT and my spouse will be working in Southington, CT. I would like no more than a 30 minute commute to Enfield, he can deal with an up to 45 minute commute to Southington.

schools are important and we would be looking to spend about $600K.
land is not important, I would rather have a bigger house and less land.

Any ideas?

THANKS!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 AM

2,855 posts, read 10,386,864 times
Right next to Enfield is Suffield which has wonderful schools and agreat small town feel. You could get a great house for 600K. It would be a 10 min commute to Enfield and about 45 min to Southington though could be a bit more in bad traffic.

If you want something more inbetween west hartford has good schools and nice houses on smaller plots of land. Though its a tad closer to southington then enfield.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:01 AM

4,476 posts, read 6,728,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Right next to Enfield is Suffield which has wonderful schools and agreat small town feel. You could get a great house for 600K. It would be a 10 min commute to Enfield and about 45 min to Southington though could be a bit more in bad traffic.

If you want something more inbetween west hartford has good schools and nice houses on smaller plots of land. Though its a tad closer to southington then enfield.
Simsbury is smack in the middle. You could get a nice existing home for $600k. The schools are tops. Take Rt 167 through Avon to Rt177 in Farmington and then into Southington. 25 to 35 mins depending where you are in Simsbury. Enfield is about the same. That's where I'd put my money.

BTW, Simsbury's center is really nice and quaint. Shopping is close by in Avon and Canton.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:37 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,726,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Right next to Enfield is Suffield which has wonderful schools and a great small town feel. You could get a great house for 600K. It would be a 10-min commute to Enfield and about 45 min to Southington though could be a bit more in bad traffic.

If you want something more inbetween, West Hartford has good schools and nice houses on smaller plots of land though it's a tad closer to Southington than Enfield.
The West Hartford/Bloomfield line is the shortest mid-point between Enfield and Southington.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 AM

625 posts, read 2,041,178 times
Much of it will depend on what type of town you're looking for. Are you looking for a town with an active center and shopping, or something a bit more rural?

West Hartford has more of an urban feel and will get you a nice house for $600K and a relatively small (usually < .5acres) lot. That same price in Avon, Simsbury, or Granby, which are considered more rural, will get you a nice house with a larger lot (sometimes 1+ acre). All of these towns score high on the mastery tests and are well known for being popular towns based on schools.

These towns should get you both acceptable commutes, based on what you mentioned.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
Much of it will depend on what type of town you're looking for. Are you looking for a town with an active center and shopping, or something a bit more rural?

West Hartford has more of an urban feel and will get you a nice house for $600K and a relatively small (usually < .5acres) lot. That same price in Avon, Simsbury, or Granby, which are considered more rural, will get you a nice house with a larger lot (sometimes 1+ acre). All of these towns score high on the mastery tests and are well known for being popular towns based on schools.

These towns should get you both acceptable commutes, based on what you mentioned.
At 40 miles, Granby to Southington is just as bad as Enfield to Southington!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 PM

15 posts, read 98,149 times
what about east longmeadow? How's that town? the schools? Are there benefits to living in CT vs. Mass?

Thanks again for all of your responses! It is greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jportjeff View Post
what about East Longmeadow? How's that town? the schools? Are there benefits to living in Conn. vs. Mass.?

Thanks again for all of your responses! It is greatly appreciated!!!!
East Longmeadow is even farther north making the commute to Southington closer to 50 miles.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 AM

2,855 posts, read 10,386,864 times
the commmute from east longmeadow would be more like an hour i would think since its a good 10 min to the highway depending on where in E. Longmeadow you are in.

I personally favor living in CT to MA.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:15 AM

34,636 posts, read 56,391,795 times
I would recommend the Farmington Valley for the best schools and a location between Southington and Enfield. This way you and your husband could avoid the commute through Hartford. As others have posted, Simsbury, Avon and Granby are very nice towns to consider and the commute to either Enfield or Southington would be reasonable. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut