Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,228,605 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
So there's a potential good (very good) job opportunity for me in Fairfield, which if it works out, would definitely require us to rethink our current living situation. As many of you already know, I currently live in New Fairfield and work in Stamford and my current commute is ~ 55 minutes which is pretty much my personal limit. Based on my preliminary research, i think a commute to Fairfield would be significantly longer than that, which could possibly push me over the edge Can anyone weigh in/confirm? In case my suspicions are correct, I've already started to think about options, and after looking at the map, Redding jumped out me. I know it's a rural town, and I actually prefer that and it's why it's sort of appealing to me. I know many of you here view my town as being rural, and so I'm wondering how they stack up in the "ruralness" department. For instance in NF I can get by on in-town conveniences for all of our day-to-day needs: supermarket, takeout, hardware, butcher, bank, nails, Starbucks, wine shop, florist, dry cleaner, toy store, orthodontist, vet, boys' TKD and my gym, etc.; and I have to go to Danbury or Brookfield for the bigger things: Costco, Stew's, Mall, Home Depot, etc. Can i expect something similar in Redding? My only experience there has been a couple of dinners at the Roadhouse and so I'm not familiar with the town in general (actually, I don't even know where the "town" is) Some important points: we must stay in the Danbury area because my husband's business is located there. He also needs easy access to Westchester and lower FFC, so I think that would eliminate Newtown for him. Bethel I like, but I'd only be interested in the part near Redding (I.e not the part near Target -- too far). It's a lot to think about, and while it's a little exciting, there are a number of factors that are giving me serious pause, specifically our boys -- they're probably at the worst possible age to consider a move, and to be quite honest I'm second guessing myself and feeling guilty about even considering this. But any insight on how different our day to day lives would be in Redding is appreciated!

Last edited by Lalalally; 01-02-2015 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 07:57 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
A close friend of mine lives in Redding. Besides that his work brings him to NYC everyday, his social life, church is in Danbury.

Given its location, Redding still represents great value. Schools are great, although his son goes to a private all-boys High-School in Fairfield, after being in the Redding school system in elementary and middle school. His daughter goes to the public High School.

They love the town, except when it's hit by storms. For some reason CTL & P takes longer to restore power in Redding. It might be its rural-ness.

One of his smartest investments was into a turbo-diesel VW passat. Him and his wife do a lot of driving around for kids, shopping, chores, etc.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
A close friend of mine lives in Redding. Besides that his work brings him to NYC everyday, his social life, church is in Danbury.

Given it's location, Redding still represents great value. Schools are great, although his son goes to a private all-boys High-School in Fairfield, after being in the Reddin school system in elementary and middle school. His daughter goes to the public High School.

They love the town, except when it's hit by storms. For some reason CTL & P takes longer to restore power in Redding. It might be its rural-ness.
CL&P takes forever in New Fairfield too At least during snowtober and to a lesser extent, sandy. Yes, I think it is probably because of the ruralness/low-ish population.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:02 PM

830 posts, read 684,180 times
Redding is unique haha. You will not be able to continue doing your in-town errands that you do in New Fairfield currently; there's very little commercialized development allowed in Redding and 99% of shopping will be done in neighboring towns. Redding is extremely car dependent. The tiny, tiny nodes in town with post-offices and such include Redding Center, West Redding and Georgetown. That being said, nothing more can be done in those nodes.

It's determined where you do your shopping by what part of town you live in. If you live in West Redding (northwestern quadrant of town), daily errands will be done in Bethel, while bigger things (hospital, shopping) in Danbury. The northeastern quadrant (northern Blackrock) will follow the same routine. Those that live in the southwestern quadrant (Georgetown area) do daily errands in Wilton/Ridgefield. They are also equal distance from Danbury and Norwalk on Route 7, but many prefer Danbury for "bigger things." Those in the southeastern quadrant choose between Stepney (Monroe) or Bethel for daily errands, and are equal in distance between Danbury and Trumbull for "bigger things". No matter where you are, be prepared to do lots of driving no matter where you go.

The schools are pretty good and the high school is made of both Redding and Easton kids (Joel Barlow is located within Redding though, very close to the Easton border). If you don't like "the woods"/ hiking, there's not much to do in the town, frankly. All recreational activities (outside of school) are down outside of town.

If you have kids, I must warn you about the social situation. The schools are small, and the parents are worse than the kids when it comes to gossip. You will get to known all the parents in town very well through your children. Both moms and dads get board, and both are guilty of spreading personal news to everyone else if someone gets a divorce. Most like to be in everyone else's business. Or if someone spots an ambulance in someones driveway, it's the "scene" in Redding. There's very little crime in Redding, but if someone's shovel gets stolen because it had been left out, people will pin it on the neighbors simply to make gossip.

I can narrate my experience of Redding for a while, but I must warn you of one more biggie. You will be the last to be plowed during the winter, and the last to have power restored during an outage. The roads will also be taxing on your vehicle and stomach. Feel free to ask me more specific questions. (Former Reddingite)

Last edited by CT_Native; 01-02-2015 at 08:12 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
CL&P takes forever in New Fairfield too At least during snowtober and to a lesser extent, sandy. Yes, I think it is probably because of the ruralness/low-ish population.
During the other Hurricane -- Irene -- I think they were out 7-10 days. So he has invested in a good generator. Another investment he has made is -- radiant heating. He says it has saved him a bundle in oil.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
If you have kids, I must warn you about the social situation. The schools are small, and the parents are worse than the kids when it comes to gossip. You will get to known all the parents in town very well through your children. Both moms and dads get board, and both are guilty of spreading personal news to everyone else if someone gets a divorce. Most like to be in everyone else's business. Or if someone spots an ambulance in someones driveway, it's the "scene" in Redding. There's very little crime in Redding, but if someone's shovel gets stolen because it had been left out, people will pin it on the neighbors.

I can narrate my experience of Redding for a while, but I must warn you of one more biggie. You will be the last to be plowed during the winter, and the last to have power restored during an outage.

OH WOW! I was not expecting that ^. Gossipy parents is not what I was expecting to hear and I don't think I'm liking this. Thanks for the warning. I've always heard great things about the schools -- they definitely rate higher than my town's, though I must say I've always been thoroughly happy with the NF district and our boys do well there.

So I take it there is no "town," and it's not just that I never saw it? NF town is tiny -- basically the intersection of Routes 37 & 39 with all your necessities right there, nothing really commercial though except for Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and Stop & Shop -- more like your regular/independent type "shops." Nothing similar in Redding?

Old 01-02-2015, 08:21 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Southern Redding near rt 58 is an easy 10 minute drive to all the shopping and starbucks on Black Rock Turnpike or 15mins down Rt 136 to Main St Westport. Easy scenic rides.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
If you have kids, I must warn you about the social situation. The schools are small, and the parents are worse than the kids when it comes to gossip. You will get to known all the parents in town very well through your children. Both moms and dads get board, and both are guilty of spreading personal news to everyone else if someone gets a divorce. Most like to be in everyone else's business. Or if someone spots an ambulance in someones driveway, it's the "scene" in Redding. There's very little crime in Redding, but if someone's shovel gets stolen because it had been left out, people will pin it on the neighbors simply to make gossip.
That sounds like the typical suburban cliquey life, if you choose to participate in it. I'll ask my friend for his take on Redding, as resident, with two school-age kids.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:26 PM

830 posts, read 684,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
So I take it there is no "town," and it's not just that I never saw it? NF town is tiny -- basically the intersection of Routes 37 & 39 with all your necessities right there, nothing really commercial though except for Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts and Stop & Shop -- more like your regular/independent type "shops." Nothing similar in Redding?
Georgetown, in the extremely southwestern corner of town, has the most resemblance to New Fairfield's shopping center. The town has been trying to enliven that span of 107, but it still remains a "drive-through" area. The Georgetown/Wilton/Branchville (Ridgefield) area -- they're all on the boarder of each other -- does contain two grocery stores, Dunkin Donuts, other small-errand-things, but is only very accessible if you live in that immediate area. Friends in that side of town (especially near Topstone) even make the drive to Ridgefield's downtown because it's more accessible/easier drive than going to Georgetown/Wilton/Branchville or Bethel, and offers more.

There's no centralized area in Redding like that intersection in New Fairfield. Redding Center is literally made up of the town hall, post office, police station and the elementary school.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:28 PM

Got it. Thanks for the info and your insight -- very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut