Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 10:24 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times

Advertisements

Found this article online & thought it might be interesting. Stamford-Norwalk-Bridgeport ranks #4 on the list, Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford ranks #10. I won't deny we need to do more to be a business-friendly state and ease tax burdens a bit, but still, I find this encouraging.

The 10 U.S. Cities Where People Earn The Biggest Paychecks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 10:47 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Found this article online & thought it might be interesting. Stamford-Norwalk-Bridgeport ranks #4 on the list, Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford ranks #10. I won't deny we need to do more to be a business-friendly state and ease tax burdens a bit, but still, I find this encouraging.

The 10 U.S. Cities Where People Earn The Biggest Paychecks

Within the story above, was a link to this: No. 5 Worst State To Make A Living: Connecticut - In Photos: The Best And Worst States To Make A Living In 2014 - Forbes.

As we know, everyone and their brother has some kind of meaningless list out there.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Within the story above, was a link to this: No. 5 Worst State To Make A Living: Connecticut - In Photos: The Best And Worst States To Make A Living In 2014 - Forbes.

As we know, everyone and their brother has some kind of meaningless list out there.
Yeah, I saw that too. But that article doesn't even tell you why exactly it's not a good state to make a living (though I agree we're not very business friendly, which I guess is the primary reason CT is on the list). At last with the Top 10 list they provide dollar figures so it doesn't seem to be as subjective. JMHO.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Yeah, I saw that too. But that article doesn't even tell you why exactly it's not a good state to make a living (though I agree we're not very business friendly, which I guess is the primary reason CT is on the list). At last with the Top 10 list they provide dollar figures so it doesn't seem to be as subjective. JMHO.
I understand. But just to play devil's advocate here, FFC placed #4, Hartford #10. OK, not bad.

But...........where does the whole state of CT come in on "tax burden" lists?

We're always in the top 4.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:12 AM

691 posts, read 1,149,769 times
The raw data is absolutely meaningless.

Looking at the two CT metros on the list:

FFC:
-early career $57k: at best you'll be able to rent a studio on your own, or share a sub par place with a roommate.
-median income of $73k: still can't afford to purchase...likely stuck renting another 10+ years.

Hartford:
-early career $55k: can absolutely afford to rent a decent place around $1,100/month.
-median income of $70k: can comfortably afford a $200-250k condo, if still single.

I'm somewhat surprised at the very negligible difference in the raw data (<5%)

Old 01-03-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
The raw data is absolutely meaningless.

Looking at the two CT metros on the list:

FFC:
-early career $57k: at best you'll be able to rent a studio on your own, or share a sub par place with a roommate.
-median income of $73k: still can't afford to purchase...likely stuck renting another 10+ years.

Hartford:
-early career $55k: can absolutely afford to rent a decent place around $1,100/month.
-median income of $70k: can comfortably afford a $200-250k condo, if still single.

I'm somewhat surprised at the very negligible difference in the raw data (<5%)
The cost of living is definitely a lot higher in FFC, but if we're talking solely about income (indulge me here for a moment ) it's still comparatively higher than the national average. As far as whether or not it offsets the high cost of living, that's a dog with different fleas.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:26 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,298 times
The ONE thing I actually agree with Nep321 on (can you believe it!!!!!) is that lower FFC is wayyy too overpriced for what it offers, especially the absolutely HELLISH traffic, which is bad enough in the Hartford metro area.

To be honest, I wouldn't live there FOR FREE unless I lived within a mile of work.

Just to be clear, I'm strictly talking about lower FFC, not the I-84 corridor like Newtown, etc, which is more in line with where I live (Glastonbury).

Old 01-03-2015, 09:29 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
The ONE thing I actually agree with Nep321 on (can you believe it!!!!!) is that lower FFC is wayyy too overpriced for what it offers, especially the absolutely HELLISH traffic, which is bad enough in the Hartford metro area.

To be honest, I wouldn't live there FOR FREE unless I lived within a mile of work.

Just to be clear, I'm strictly talking about lower FFC, not the I-84 corridor like Newtown, etc, which is more in line with where I live (Glastonbury).

When u past Westport it does'nt feel like FFC anymore Stratford, Monroe is not expensive etc

Old 01-04-2015, 07:51 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
When u past Westport it does'nt feel like FFC anymore Stratford, Monroe is not expensive etc
It CAN be expensive, but it isn't the norm for the entire town. For example, it is common to find $0.5 million to $1 million+ homes in the north end of Stratford. Same goes for Monroe, Shelton, and Trumbull where it's not challenging to find expensive real estate.

What kills me, as a resident of Stratford, are the taxes. They continue to rise and rise with no real community return. Instead, we get political scandals (Mayor and Admin Assistant messing around), town employee drug busts, and other meaningless crap that drain the town's cash.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
For example, it is common to find $0.5 million to $1 million+ homes in the north end of Stratford.
Quite uncommon. That ship sailed awhile ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
What kills me, as a resident of Stratford, are the taxes. They continue to rise and rise with no real community return.
Have you checked out the new assessment values with the recent reval? They're in the toilet. The grand list will be going way down, and the mill rate way up. Don't be shocked if the new mill rate starts with a 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut