Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 01:16 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,480,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I could be wrong, but it looks like the 4th lane was always there, but was blocked by concrete jersey barriers for god knows how long. They simply removed the barriers a few weeks ago. This 4th lane is maybe only 1/4 mile long and is in pretty bad shape. It's not nicely paved or anything, and there are no painted lines on it or anything (or very faded).
This is the project website. About the Project

I am not familiar with this project but it looks like since they had to re-build abutments to the bridges the highway was not initial wide enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 PM

34,850 posts, read 56,775,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlaiveGuy View Post
Not expecting a change overnight, but it's heartening to see a state highway project be completed and actually (for the time being at least) address the problem.

Out of curiosity, how many years did this 4th Lane on the I-95 take to complete?

-GG
According the website (thanks Mr. 250), the project was started in April 2012 and to be completed in June. That means it is a three year project which is normal for a project that is reconstructing three bridges with traffic going underneath them.

So much for the people here claiming it has taken a decade to construct. Jay

Old 01-21-2015, 03:55 PM

811 posts, read 1,735,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This is the project website. About the Project

I am not familiar with this project but it looks like since they had to re-build abutments to the bridges the highway was not initial wide enough.
Correct, they had to rebuild the bridges. Maybe nep is thinking of the "4th lane always being there" as previously being the shoulder but I still don't think it was capable of being a legitimate late because of the older bridges.

It's only felt like a couple of years, certainly not a decade.

I keep waiting for the "catch" but tonight was a good commute too, no major delays, just some slow downs in usual spots (on ramp/off ramp merging).

At exits 14 and 15, the left most 2 lanes seem to cruise along nicely and this seems to be a big help. The right most 2 lanes have that criss-crossing action going on and it's somewhat dangerous as some people are being idiots and not letting people into certain lanes but other than the the northbound side has improved. It is true, they need to repave that area badly!

Can't wait for them to finish up the south bond side.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
According the website (thanks Mr. 250), the project was started in April 2012 and to be completed in June. That means it is a three year project which is normal for a project that is reconstructing three bridges with traffic going underneath them.

So much for the people here claiming it has taken a decade to construct. Jay
This is right (see bold above). People don't understand that in Connecticut we are some-what limited in terms of a construction season. Paving plants are not open all year, concrete companies don't like to pour in winter because it becomes extremely expensive and we deal with snow/weather. Also, time restrictions related to traffic/time of work/work zones are built into the contract which, in some cases, are not favorable to the contractor in hopes to appease the traveling public.

So out of 12 months, companies get a solid 9 months of work and 3 months of prep work. Your production is 75% which is why a 'simple' project take a bit longer up here.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,236,219 times
I switched it up today and took the Merritt since I had to go over to A&S. I was in shock...smoooooth driving home. I got from Yonkers to A&S in 35 minutes. That's INSANE, especially after 4 on a Thursday. Wonder if 95 clearing up will solve problems on the Merritt, too....or if we are really having an insanely lucky few weeks!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:56 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,914,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
I switched it up today and took the Merritt since I had to go over to A&S. I was in shock...smoooooth driving home. I got from Yonkers to A&S in 35 minutes. That's INSANE, especially after 4 on a Thursday. Wonder if 95 clearing up will solve problems on the Merritt, too....or if we are really having an insanely lucky few weeks!
Me too (on I-95).

Every single evening now, it's been a quick 15 minute drive home from Stamford to Norwalk, for the past 3 weeks. Even all of the other people in my office are now starting to use I-95 again, after taking their alternative routes, such as 136 or whatever. A few have stopped using the Metro North and are now driving their cars to work instead, and using I-95.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,778,257 times
Well that bottle neck in norwalk was always terrible.. maybe it did just need that 4th lane!

Old 01-23-2015, 07:26 AM

40 posts, read 64,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
I take the Merritt daily from Monroe to Purchase and back; can confirm it has been amazing this past two weeks. Each day I expect the worst and am pleasantly surprised.

I've only been doing this commute since August so I can't compare back to last year's traffic at this time, but seems like other long time commuters in this thread are seeing a marked improvement.

-GG

Old 01-23-2015, 07:29 AM

As others have mentioned in the other thread, what is going on with the lack of traffic out there. It seems state wide the number of people on the road has dropped.

Not a bad thing, but unexplainable.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,914,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
As others have mentioned in the other thread, what is going on with the lack of traffic out there. It seems state wide the number of people on the road has dropped.

Not a bad thing, but unexplainable.
Maybe people moved out of CT because they hate Malloy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut