Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:16 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times

Advertisements

Isn't Butternut easier and more family orientated than Catamount?

Not that Catamount is challenging, but I find it great for a quick local trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:25 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Isn't Butternut easier and more family orientated than Catamount?

Not that Catamount is challenging, but I find it great for a quick local trip.
Yes

Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 AM

830 posts, read 684,314 times
Yea, out West ya can't compare, but not everybody can do a week-long vacation out there. Jay Peak is windy and very cold, but after a great storm, they keep the mountain powdery and even leave some of the lower trails ungroomed for light powder skiing. Since it's so cold usually, they typically don't have as many ice issues. You take a huge gondola to the very top so you're not getting wind-burned. It's far away (which is also a good thing) but the resort is awesome, and they've recently built an in-door water park when you're inside for the night.

Catamount is more aggressive skiing. And Butternut is definitely more geared towards family; that's the first place I learned to ski.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
Yea, out West ya can't compare, but not everybody can do a week-long vacation out there. Jay Peak is windy and very cold, but after a great storm, they keep the mountain powdery and even leave some of the lower trails ungroomed for light powder skiing. Since it's so cold usually, they typically don't have as many ice issues. You take a huge gondola to the very top so you're not getting wind-burned. It's far away (which is also a good thing) but the resort is awesome, and they've recently built an in-door water park when you're inside for the night.
I wasn't talking about getting wind burned when talking about wind. I was talking about the wind affecting the powder by blowing it off the trail into the woods and also compacting it badly. 60mph winds blowing on a wind affected trail and powder don't mix well. Winds are strong there when there is NO storm, forget when a powerful system is dropping 2 feet.

You get wide open untracked powder foot plus on the trails regularly? Because all I ever see from jay peak pictures is deep powder in the woods. I can't even find a descent video of on trail waist deep pow at jay peak, which they supposedly get a lot. Hell I've seen better powder at ski sundown on trail than what I've seen from jay peak.lol. Granted it's a RARE event at ski sundown. At jay peak, It's all glades. Because in all honesty I've seen better powder conditions at places like bromley and berkshire east than jay peak. I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm simply stating what I've seen. Have you scored untracked knee to waist deep powder on the trails repeatedly at jay peak?

Old 01-24-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
It's far away (which is also a good thing) but the resort is awesome, and they've recently built an in-door water park when you're inside for the night.
It's not far from montreal(1.6 million people), which is bigger than boston and think how crowded wachusett is.
Water park is cool.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:43 AM

CT_Native....jay peak supposedly gets about as much snow as aspen. Have you seen the powder out there? lol

Old 01-24-2015, 11:56 AM

@ mike

Wind is definitely a problem there but not every day. Of course the powder doesn't last long, but the morning after a good storm has fine skiing. They'll groom the wider trails to keep the snow packed up top. A few years back, I think it was New Years Day and everybody was hungover so people didn't go out. The night before, 6" dropped and the trails were ours. I can't say I've done waist-deep skiing there, though.

There's plenty of this all season:

The Real Jay Peak Snow Report: Jay Peak in 48 hours: a guest report

As for the Canadians, I've ran into many and most are usually pleasant-- it's not as crowded as it should be. I think most prefer Tremblant since it's inside Canada.

I've done this a few times @ Jay Peak:

http://youtu.be/3Qt-O_7DMNk

Last edited by CT_Native; 01-24-2015 at 12:11 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Of course the powder doesn't last long, but the morning after a good storm has fine skiing. They'll groom the wider trails to keep the snow packed up top. I can't say I've done waist-deep skiing there, though.

There's plenty of this all season:

The Real Jay Peak Snow Report: Jay Peak in 48 hours: a guest report

I've done this a few times @ Jay Peak:

http://youtu.be/3Qt-O_7DMNk
Great picture!
Yeah, any ski area even on the west gets tracked out if you come a few days after. lol

That's one thing I don't get about ec skiing. No reason to groom most of your wide trails since those would be the ones that hold untracked powder the longest!(more acreage with powder on it) Grooming at closing time is fine, but not first thing in the morning destroying the pow. EC areas tend to do a lot of grooming in the morning getting rid of powder because most people on the ec can't ski powder and complain to management if it's not cord. Sad, but true/

Video looks great! But those type of conditions exist at berkshire east.

It's nothing crazy like the video below of aspen
Watch this video....absolutely sick. Again aspen gets around the same amount of snow as jay peak. It makes no sense if you believe jay averages 350 inches a year. And the pow on that video is wide open, not extremely tight trees with drifts like what jay likes to post pics of a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1rUviNWRU

Last edited by mikelizard860; 01-24-2015 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-24-2015, 12:38 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
The snow is much drier out west. That's why Cottonwood Canyon in Utah has what's considered the best snow in NA, it's dry and they get a ton of it. I went to Alta in April once and the conditions were still fantastic.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:41 PM

Sick video of Aspen! They don't have that at Jay. Maybe a few times a year they could do that but like you said, the EC is so inclined to groom, groom, groom since that's what folks can ski. If Jay is averaging that much per season, then most of it's being blown off haha. I do find the best EC powder skiing (that's not saying much) and snow in general at Jay though; JMHO. Comparing Jay to other places on the EC/NE, it definitely stands out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut