Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 07:00 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Fair?? The weather difference of a 4000 foot elevation vs 10,000 foot is pretty different. That's not a fair comparison. And how many Ski areas in the East are at an elevation of over 4000?

So now we're talking about even lower. Is it fair to compare Ski areas in the East of 1000-3000 feet vs Ski areas of the West at 7000-11,000 feet??

Trust me, there's a huge difference in air temp, storms, and moisture at those different levels. There was a ridge in the West practically all winter and that meant above freezing temps at the mid levels as well.

As of yesterday...

Breckenridge in Colorado has under 3 inches of snow at 11,000 feet!

Mt Mansfield in Vermont has 53 inches of snow still at 3900 feet!

Judging by weather maps I look at each day, New England had more cold and snow this year for elevations under 4000'

But I bet you we can find spots in the West over 8000' with more snow
NONE. That's the point. The east can't even begin to compete with the west. You're right. You can't even compare them it's such a huge difference.

Breck at 11,000 feet is much warmer than mansfield's summit. Look at average temps. There's also drifting that takes place. 4000 feet in northern vermont is WAY windier than 11000 feet at breck. Winds are notorious in the high greens and whites of the ec.

High elevations of the west means tremendous amount of snow far. I'm comparing SKIING conditions!!! You're going to have better and more powder at those higher elevation mountains out west. It's common sense just like you stated!
Yes, you summed it up. The low elevations of the east can't compete with the high elevations of the west. What does that mean? It means better skiing out west. So you CAN compare ec to wc fairly when it comes to skiing conditions. The west is far superior. Can you have really good days of skiing out east?

Sure, but you can't compare it to the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 08:20 AM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
NONE. That's the point. The east can't even begin to compete with the west. You're right. You can't even compare them it's such a huge difference.

Breck at 11,000 feet is much warmer than mansfield's summit. Look at average temps. There's also drifting that takes place. 4000 feet in northern vermont is WAY windier than 11000 feet at breck. Winds are notorious in the high greens and whites of the ec.

High elevations of the west means tremendous amount of snow far. I'm comparing SKIING conditions!!! You're going to have better and more powder at those higher elevation mountains out west. It's common sense just like you stated!

Yes, you summed it up. The low elevations of the east can't compete with the high elevations of the west. What does that mean? It means better skiing out west. So you CAN compare ec to wc fairly when it comes to skiing conditions. The west is far superior. Can you have really good days of skiing out east?

Sure, but you can't compare it to the west.
Totally agree. And those out west won't complain about temps in the teens either. They know it means Pure Powder! lol

I guess would be better to say "most" years. There are some winters where the NorthEast has conditions like the west (might not last as long but like this year there was some dry powder and stayed cold enough to stay fluffy a long time). Shoot, CT had some mountain type ratios a few times again this past winter. And at one point weeks after snow was on the ground, it was still fluffy here. Pretty amazing to see for near the coast after weeks.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:21 AM

Speaking of Skiing and West.. another advantage of being above 7000 feet... It Snows in May & June! :-)

https://twitter.com/TomNiziol/status/595942214691323904

Old 05-06-2015, 09:25 AM

https://twitter.com/TomNiziol/status/595936937296429056

Old 05-06-2015, 09:26 AM

West is Playing catch up. Not uncommon in Late Spring to snow in the Rockies.

Up to 2 feet possible. Looks like in SW South Dakota as well. I know the black hills are there but maybe Rapid City sees some too

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/s...167361/photo/1

Old 05-06-2015, 11:05 AM

Who got me started with cold weather posts? LOL #7 for this thread today. Sorry

Current look at the 9000 foot temps.(700mb)

Anyone north of the dark blue/light blue border is below freezing at 9000 feet and higher.

So for instance.. right now it's below freezing at that level over New England but above freezing at that level over North Dakota and Southern Wyoming, ect.

This is from my software but you can use this site.. ADDS - Winds/Temps Choose Temperature option then choose the level.

And you can use this to confirm from the actual weather balloon launches per NWS Office. http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html

Old 05-06-2015, 03:48 PM

New Hampshire.

https://twitter.com/WeatherNut27/sta...56346446569473

Old 05-06-2015, 09:21 PM

21,717 posts, read 28,042,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
But the reward is much greater if you ski powder How often do you get waist to chest deep pow on the open trails at Stowe? Never mind that. How about 1 foot or even knee deep untracked? That's routine at many places out west especially at resorts that aren't near any cities like wolf creek or grand targhee. And as long as you stay for 2 weeks you should score unless you're super unlucky.

Flying isn't easy, but when you factor in the amount of driving, the crowds at stowe, the fact that you have to pay for lodging since it's so far, the gas cost, the outrageous price for lift tickets at stowe, the lack of powder conditions compared to western resorts, then it becomes a different equation. You can't really compare driving 1 1/2 to 2 hours to mt snow vs having to get on a plane. But when it becomes 4 hours or more if there's snow or traffic down here in CT AND requires an overnight stay then it becomes a different thing.

Stowe is a mountain for the east coast, but it's a hill for the west. Most of stowe has to be covered with man made snow. The amount of terrain can't be compared. The acreage and lack of crowds are way better than stowe could ever dream of in many western areas
You don't have to argue with me that there's nothing like skiing out west. I love the powder and Vail and Alta are my 2 favorite resorts.

That said, I think you are underestimating Stowe. Its continuous vertical compares to many resorts out west, it's just as challenging, and they get a lot of snow. Deep powder is not rare and their tree skiing is some of the best, with tons of opportunity to hit fresh powder. On good years they're clearing 250" a season. Also, try any of the Front Four - just as challenging as anything out west.

It's not the west, but it's the closest we have and doesn't deserve to be downgraded like that.

Also Stowe lift tickets are $89. That's the same or cheaper than most resorts out west. It's half of Vail! Now those are outrageous (but an awesome mountain nonetheless).

Old 05-07-2015, 04:52 AM

While the pattern has been late spring and Summer for the East past 2 weeks, Models showing some snow Wednesday(May 13th) /Wednesday night for the mountains of New England for those keeping track. (Not a big snowstorm). After that, right back to Late Spring....maybe. Still far out.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:13 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,395,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You don't have to argue with me that there's nothing like skiing out west. I love the powder and Vail and Alta are my 2 favorite resorts.

That said, I think you are underestimating Stowe. Its continuous vertical compares to many resorts out west, it's just as challenging, and they get a lot of snow. Deep powder is not rare and their tree skiing is some of the best, with tons of opportunity to hit fresh powder. On good years they're clearing 250" a season. Also, try any of the Front Four - just as challenging as anything out west.

It's not the west, but it's the closest we have and doesn't deserve to be downgraded like that.

Also Stowe lift tickets are $89. That's the same or cheaper than most resorts out west. It's half of Vail! Now those are outrageous (but an awesome mountain nonetheless).
At the gate, it's over 100 bucks at stowe for a pass.
Check the season pass rates out west compared to Stowe. I think it's 399 for an epic pass which gets you access to multiple mountains. What's stowe charge? Over 2k. Stowe is a rip off. It's for people who have money to burn. Not considering money or travel time, is stowe overall the best in the east? Probably.

Stowe couldn't hold a cadle to the type of terrain you have out west. Personally, I'm not really concerned with "challenging". CT skiing is steep enough for me. lol I'd never be charging the type of extreme terrain you have out west especially in the backcountry. 99.9% of people who ski aren't hucking off 50 foot cliffs or going down near vertical faces like you have out west. But if you want extreme terrain out west where the big mountains are is where it's at. There's a reason basically all extreme skiing videos are filmed out west. The backcountry of stowe is basically just some woods and wind battered snow above the lifts compared to bottomless pow and any type of terrain your heart desires out west. So it's absolutely not as challenging to ski stowe as what you can do out west. If you can ski the east you can ski anywhere is just a silly saying unless being able to ski boiler blate in 50mph winds when it's -20f and there's a 45 minutes line for the lift is considered challenging The hardest inbounds terrain is jackson hole.

I would not call deep powder a regular occurrence at stowe compared to alta. Also, the intense crowds track everything up fast and also cause ice to form from the constant pounding. Less people = far superior skiing experience.

Please show me terrain that compares to this at stowe. Not that I'd be skiing it anyway...lol. I'm just saying.

Skiers in the east don't want to seem inferior so they tend to make the difference between east and west less than what it really is.

Last edited by mikelizard860; 05-07-2015 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut