Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 12:12 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Every storm we get is blown out of proportion by the media hype machine. Most dangerous thing is DRIVING in snow whether it's 1 inch or 12. It's 2 feet of snow! Not the end of the world. You'd think a volcano was erupting or there was a zombie outbreak with the mass panic. You look in those grocery stores and you'd think it was the end of days.

All the being said, this does still appear to be a historical storm for us! Big momma is coming to town and she aint playin'!!
mike - it's always been that way, but now with more news channels & 24/7 cable news, you have more voices to amplify the sound.

I remember when I was a kid back in the 70s and hoping for a snow day, I always had to halve the previous evening's forecast. So, if they said 8-10 inches, I would count on 4-5 inches of snow the next morning... usually the cutoff in Cromwell was that we needed 3 or 4 inches to cancel school. (The superintendent in Cromwell was originally from Jamaica, but almost never canceled school. Cromwell was one of the only towns in the state that was open during the infamous Ice Storm)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
Stay safe everyone. Take some good photos to share. This maybe one week you'd rather be in Iowa, it's going to be in the high 50's through Wednesday here. It's been a weird winter so far.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:19 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
I just got home. Figured I would leave at 1:00 to stay ahead of anything. Snow seems to be picking up now. Parkway, for now, was fine..... But there were a lot of cars on it so I guess people are leaving early.
On another note, an email was sent to all the dealers from the owner and second in command reminding us employees that tomorrow is a regular work day and we are open...... Any employees who don't come in will use a sick day or vacation day. Nice, huh? One is in California on vacation and the other is in Texas on vacation at his other home. Wtf.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:20 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
@ Cambium:

You wanted snow? You got snow. And you thought winter was over, just because there wasn't much snow till Jan 15. Now, in a couple of weeks we'll get up to Buffalo's numbers. Nice jinx!!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:20 PM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
It was flurrying in Glastonbury at 10:30. Been stopped for awhile, just a light coating on the cars. Gas stations had lines into the streets and they were hanging plastic on the meat and dairy at Stop & Shop in case they lost power. I LMAO at that one. One of my really expensive gloves decided to hide after I thought I put it in the car this morning too. Not happy about that (another reason I hate winter - now I have to buy another pair of good gloves)

Old 01-26-2015, 12:23 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times
Props to CT DOT.

Roads were a non-issue during my 50+ mile drive at noon today. I-84 was fine, but still a bit slippery so I kept it right around the speed limit. Of course the usual morons were doing 80+.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:25 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
WouldLoveTo- I obsessively make sure my gloves are clipped together whenever not in use after losing 1 pricey ski glove. It broke my heart! I feel for you, that really stinks.

I think a lot of us get skittish these days when we hear the phrase "power outages" after what we went through with Irene, Sandy, and the October snowstorm. I lost power for a week with each of those events and am on well water (e.g. no power = no running water)*. I know when I hear of potential loss of power, my mind automatically thinks it will be a 5-7 day event!

*Note: I bought a generator during Irene so my power outage PTSD has dissipated. However, I get why people are freaking out about the possibility.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I just got home. Figured I would leave at 1:00 to stay ahead of anything. Snow seems to be picking up now. Parkway, for now, was fine..... But there were a lot of cars on it so I guess people are leaving early.
On another note, an email was sent to all the dealers from the owner and second in command reminding us employees that tomorrow is a regular work day and we are open...... Any employees who don't come in will use a sick day or vacation day. Nice, huh? One is in California on vacation and the other is in Texas on vacation at his other home. Wtf.
screw that guy. time to find a new job.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:35 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
Got in early today....taking half vacation day....should be home by 3:45. Closed tomorrow with full pay, but likely have to come in Wednesday to clear the building....all part of the job

Old 01-26-2015, 12:37 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
when I lived in CT I couldn't believe Metlife made me come into work Tuesday the day after Sandy swept through. The big whigs don't care really.

Good luck up there, I'm not missing that at all...be safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut