Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:34 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I typically can get from East Lyme (same town as Niantic) to West Farms Mall in about 50 minutes going 65-70mph on Route 9.

If they can afford it, I might look into getting two modest apartments, one near Farmington & one near Providence. Then, they can get together on the weekends in one place or the other and not have to deal with the stress of both of them driving an hour to work each day.
Keep in mind that the OP is going to Farmington which is past West Farms and that they likely will be traveling during rush hour with more traffic thus slowing them down.

Even more importantly, it should be pointed out that the OP could hit traffic on Route 9 at the traffic signals in Middletown, particularly during the summer when more people are traveling to the shore. That would make their trip even longer.

So the OP understands, Route 9 is an expressway except for one small portion in downtown Middletown which has 2 traffic signals. This is sort of a bottleneck on this highway and during the summer there can be extensive backups in traffic there adding to your travel time. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
If they can afford it, I might look into getting two modest apartments, one near Farmington & one near Providence. Then, they can get together on the weekends in one place or the other and not have to deal with the stress of both of them driving an hour to work each day.
I agree with this. I live in and near the communities being mentioned (Marlborough, Colchester, East Hampton, Glastonbury) and no way would I want to regularly drive to Providence (the Farmington commute would be easy peasy) unless my company was paying me to make the trek. I would never consider it for a daily commute. It is a pain in the rear to get to Providence from here. Route 6 in RI is in rough shape (poorly maintained) and it would be well over an hour's drive on a bright sunny day, let alone adding a couple inches of snow to the mix.

If you can swing it, NewJeffCT's idea of 2 modest apartments is the best bet. I know 2 couples who have similar weekend set-ups with their partners and it makes life easier for all involved.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:51 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree with this. I live in and near the communities being mentioned (Marlborough, Colchester, East Hampton, Glastonbury) and no way would I want to regularly drive to Providence (the Farmington commute would be easy peasy) unless my company was paying me to make the trek. I would never consider it for a daily commute. It is a pain in the rear to get to Providence from here. Route 6 in RI is in rough shape (poorly maintained) and it would be well over an hour's drive on a bright sunny day, let alone adding a couple inches of snow to the mix.

If you can swing it, NewJeffCT's idea of 2 modest apartments is the best bet. I know 2 couples who have similar weekend set-ups with their partners and it makes life easier for all involved.
well, especially since it's temporary while she goes to school.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:57 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times
I really don't see why Norwich wouldn't work.

Both would have a ~1 hr commute. While that isn't ideal, its very do-able. Assuming both have smart-phones, its very easy to make good use of that time while driving by listening to a podcast, streaming music, etc. A good proportion of the country has a commute of similar length. CT (and the majority of the Bos-Wash corridor) is a bit out of touch in that regard.

There are some new-build condos in Norwich that I've seen for rent. $1k or so per month for something really nice (brand new kitchen with stainless, garage, deck, etc). If they don't mind a semi-urban environment, it seems ideal.

The commute to Providence would be tedious, but reliable. I-395 North-->Route 6 is pretty much congestion free. The commute to Farmington could get a bit tricky, depending on the timing. Route 2 can jam up its final 4-5 miles east of Hartford. Then I-84 West is usually a pain, but I believe the heaviest of the AM traffic is heading in the opposite direction.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don't think you will be able to find what you are looking for. As was noted, Providence and Farmington are too far apart to be within the commute times you want. One of you need to commute longer. Another problem is that eastern Connecticut is a pretty rural area. It is mostly small rural type towns or old mill towns. Norwich and Willimantic are those types of towns and I doubt you would like to live there. The only town I can think of that you may like is Colchester. It is a nice quaint small town with a couple of nice restaurants and shops. He problem is that you both will have longer drives than you want.

I am however wondering why you want to go to school in Providence. There are many good schools in Connecticut. Have you considered going to school here instead? Jay
Did you ever consider that she could be attending Brown?

Old 01-28-2015, 09:23 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,960,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
could also be majoring in something that is specific to a college in Providence, or maybe has a notable department there

Old 01-28-2015, 09:37 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
RISD is another school where you would not find the equivalent in the Hartford area (or anywhere in CT, for that matter).

Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Yes I did but still thought I would ask the question. It would make their lives a whole lot easier.

By the way, what would Brown offer that Yale would not? I could see RISD being a different story since there are no comparable schools to it around here. But again, it is their decision. Jay

Old 01-28-2015, 01:57 PM

720 posts, read 919,936 times
Your best bet is Glastonbury.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:21 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes I did but still thought I would ask the question. It would make their lives a whole lot easier.

By the way, what would Brown offer that Yale would not? I could see RISD being a different story since there are no comparable schools to it around here. But again, it is their decision. Jay
Brown and Yale have very different strengths, weaknesses, and offerings. Besides, once you reach that caliber of academic rigor, you're lucky to go wherever you get accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut