Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:27 PM

33 posts, read 35,631 times

Advertisements

IMO CT has the highest income disparity because the top earners make the most in the country, while the lowest income individuals make the same as low income individuals across the country. Obviously it is a bit more complicated than that but it stretches the gap. Most of the south has a much higher % of low-income individuals than CT, but income disparity is lower because median income is lower, as are the % of high-income individuals.

Anyways, I have been to many states in the south where it is very common for an individual who makes $150,000 - $200,000 a year act like they're Donald Trump (i.e. rude, arrogant, and elitist) while that would make someone middle-class or upper-middle-class in CT, depending on the region. In fact, outside of FFC (don't spend any time there so can't comment) I have experienced little to no elitism from higher-income individuals in CT, while I have found it to be extremely prevalent in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida - in cities like Richmond, Charleston, and Savannah I have seen the "southern aristocracy" to be alive and well, while Floridians are very flashy with their "wealth" (wealth in quotations because Florida is the dream state of collections, bankruptcy, and divorce attorneys). People in New England IMO are much more modest with their wealth, which is ironic since they are generally much more wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 03:41 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,228,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternCTBias View Post
IMO CT has the highest income disparity because the top earners make the most in the country, while the lowest income individuals make the same as low income individuals across the country. Obviously it is a bit more complicated than that but it stretches the gap. Most of the south has a much higher % of low-income individuals than CT, but income disparity is lower because median income is lower, as are the % of high-income individuals.

Anyways, I have been to many states in the south where it is very common for an individual who makes $150,000 - $200,000 a year act like they're Donald Trump (i.e. rude, arrogant, and elitist) while that would make someone middle-class or upper-middle-class in CT, depending on the region. In fact, outside of FFC (don't spend any time there so can't comment) I have experienced little to no elitism from higher-income individuals in CT, while I have found it to be extremely prevalent in Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida - in cities like Richmond, Charleston, and Savannah I have seen the "southern aristocracy" to be alive and well, while Floridians are very flashy with their "wealth" (wealth in quotations because Florida is the dream state of collections, bankruptcy, and divorce attorneys). People in New England IMO are much more modest with their wealth, which is ironic since they are generally much more wealthy.
I have to say, I agree with this 100%. I have family in the south and just seeing how some people in the community act...it's insane.

Meanwhile, I've had friends of all different social incomes up here and have never once been treated differently by any of them.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,421,810 times
Quote:

That is true, I have seen millionaires in CT drive Suburu's and Volvo's before... must be a New England thing.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:46 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,730,864 times
Can you guys NOT respond to ANY MORE threads that NEP321 has started? C'mon. Seriously. He is not posting anything of any value and it always turns into a self pity party for him.

Pleaseeee everyone

Old 01-27-2015, 03:48 PM

4,476 posts, read 6,729,813 times
But more CT residents would occupy the 1% of the nation. This is a stupid comparison.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:27 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,073,417 times
Quote:

This is pretty accurate in my experience.

When I lived in Austin we used to laugh at the "fortythousandaires" who drove BMW's and lived in luxury apartments. All hat... No cattle. I don't see as much of that up here.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:35 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
Doesn't bother me at all-I can take care of myself and my friends and family and that's all that matters to me. In fact, I just booked trips to Miami and Vegas, along with having budgeted out considerable savings through next year (when I will re-budget.)

Oh, and I need to go move my next massage appointment.

<rolls eyes>

It's all about working hard AND playing hard, especially out our age.
Working "hard" is not the modern way to be successful. Working smart is. Working "hard" immediately entails stress, health issues, burnout, etc.

As for me, I work smart and put in effort, in my work. That's why I get performance reviews that "exceed expectations," by management. And I manage to do it in about 40 hours a week, versus coworkers who might work longer hours, but don't necessarily quite display the same level of finesse that I display with my work. So, it's not about working hard and putting in long hours. That's an old school, outdated mentality. In the 21st century, it's about efficiency, impact and results. I've even had managers tell me that working significant overtime isn't going to impress them, for the sake of it. They want to see delivery, enthusiasm and results. I'm not saying that it should be forbidden to work overtime, but it's not necessarily necessary. Sorry, but that's what I've been told throughout my career, and I think it makes a lot of sense.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,073,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Working "hard" is not the modern way to be successful. Working smart is. Working "hard" immediately entails stress, health issues, burnout, etc.
I wonder how many more successful people would disagree with you. I do...

Last edited by mlassoff; 01-27-2015 at 06:14 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 06:05 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,833,334 times
[quote=mlassoff;38202592]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Working "hard" is not the modern way to be successful. Working smart is. Working "hard" immediately entails stress, health issues, burnout, etc./QUOTE]

I wonder how many more successful people would disagree with you. I do...
Those who work hard tend to have more health problems, especially later in life, with regard to weight, aging, and general stress problems. I've seen it with my own eyes, when I worked at a large accounting firm. We couldn't believe how old some of the 20-somethings looked, due to years of 60-80 hour weeks. It was horrifying. Many people who work long hours tend to have poor diets, sleep deprivation issues, lower back pain, carpel tunnel and other associated health risks with working in an office.

I don't want to become a victim of that. What I saw, at a young age (22-23) working at a large accounting firm was horrifying and permanently changed my view on work, success and moving up the ladder. I am not alone in this perspective, either, coming from public accounting, where you basically have to sell your soul to the company in order to get ahead.

Not once in my career, at any company, did I look at my managers/directors and think to myself, "geez...I would love to be in their shoes someday." Fortunately, I already know what it's like to live in a big house and have a beach house, boat, etc., and I can unequivocally say that it's overrated and doesn't appeal to me.

That's why I made a career industry change at the age of 24 and moved out of public accounting, into corporate/industry. No more external clients. It was life changing and now I can enjoy a 40 hour work week while making plenty of money for a single person. I'm already on the verge of being promoted to senior role, as we speak, which proves that working 40 hour weeks doesn't necessarily mean you will remain a staff level employee forever. Sure, it may have slowed down my career progress a bit, but it's a compromise that I would prefer to live with.

What is wrong with that? The American Dream is not the same for everyone. Some people want career advancement, more money, etc. Personally, I just want middle class comfort and free time.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:07 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,762,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Doesn't buy natural hair either. Can't tell you the number of bald men my age in Ferrari's/Porsche's/etc. that look at my head(of hair) with absolute lust in their eyes.

lmbo!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut